MCU: KEVIN's world

Rhom

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

18 episodes...but are they all going to be an hour long...?

No idea. Maybe 40ish to allow for commercialization of whatever sort down the road maybe?

Disney is going to be all about the money for the next while, so Marvel will perhaps have some winds they haven't had to deal with in some time. I hope it doesn't mean more repetition of what's been successful. That's getting thin.

Anyway, they're not really doing Miller's Born Again, right? Or nah?

If they were to bring in an established, tight, unflinching comic writer to lay it out in an 18 issue run specifically for Marvel getting Daredevil back, then adapt that? 

Take my money, take my time, I'd be down with that until our universe threads beads and fizzles the fuck out.    

6 hours ago, JGP said:

I was surprised by the amount of episodes too. When DD was fresh on Netflix the only thing keeping a couple of those seasons from being great was the filler, in 12/13 episodes.

I saw a post somewhere where Cox said he was going to be filming for just short of an entire year.

I think there's a problem with 12-13 episode seasons in that they fall between being able tell a really tight serialised story, which can be done more effectively in 6-10 episodes, and the old episodic structure of 20-22 episodes which allowed you to have serialised elements in addition to completely stand-alone episodes and even gonzoid crazy experimental episodes which might work or might not, but it didn't matter because it was just 1 episode out of 20+.

At the 12-13 episode mark (sometimes even with 10) it feels like they sometimes don't have enough story to fill that number of episodes but they also feel that number is too low to risk "wasting" an episode on a self-contained story or character development, so you end up with a lot of stretching.

I think out of all the Netflix shows, only Daredevil's first season succeeded in filling 13 episodes with reasonably good stuff. Jessica Jones's first season handled it reasonably well, but they had 1-2 episodes they could have trimmed, and the rest were fucking terrible in terms of pacing, even where the stories and characters were generally interesting. The next-best-paced season (despite not having the best lead character or story overall) was probably Iron Fist Season 2, and that was only because Netflix managed to force Marvel to agree to let them do 10 episodes.

Star Trek: Prodigy's first season is 20 episodes long and (as of episode 19 airing) the pacing has been excellent.

My sense right now is that the old 1990s and early 2000s model of 20-22 episode seasons which mixed up standalone and serialised elements, but used the standalones for effective character development, worked much better than most of the modern formats, despite the superiority of the modern formats for having much better production values and visual effects.

This has me slightly worried. If longer episode numbers points to a episode nature, crime of the week kinda thing, that might work, but it also maybe me suspect that we might end up with a very different tone to the Netflix shows.

Obviously it’s never going to be as dark and gritty as the Netflix version, but how much lighter are we talking? 

The only positive thing I have to say about She-Hulk was that it didn’t totally wreck his character. That doesn’t mean I need to see any more of that version of Matt Murdoch.. and I hope any DD show pretty much ignores anything that happened in She-Hulk. 

46 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think out of all the Netflix shows, only Daredevil's first season succeeded in filling 13 episodes with reasonably good stuff. Jessica Jones's first season handled it reasonably well, but they had 1-2 episodes they could have trimmed, and the rest were fucking terrible in terms of pacing, even where the stories and characters were generally interesting. The next-best-paced season (despite not having the best lead character or story overall) was probably Iron Fist Season 2, and that was only because Netflix managed to force Marvel to agree to let them do 10 episodes.

Agree with Jessica Jones.

Iron Fist, I felt like maybe should've been dropped after the first season. Looking at it in retrospect of course. I was slow to the whole Iron Fist being white savior vibe. Turned out to have been fundamentally true. Marvel Netflix or Netflix Marvel in that situation, I don't know. But now I think an opportunity had been missed. Would've added a few more layers. Personally, I didn't need all the family drama that Iron Fist also went with because what, the horrible miscasting of Finn Jones meant Iron Fist couldn't be fucking shit up out there like he's supposed to be. I'm probably just projecting obvious disappointment or whatever, I don't know lol

I didn't hate Luke Cage. I liked the first season.

Fuck though, what gets greenlit and what doesn't baffles me sometimes, even if that's just the way it is.  

48 minutes ago, JGP said:

Iron Fist, I felt like maybe should've been dropped after the first season. Looking at it in retrospect of course. I was slow to the whole Iron Fist being white savior vibe. Turned out to have been fundamentally true. Marvel Netflix or Netflix Marvel in that situation, I don't know. But now I think an opportunity had been missed. Would've added a few more layers. Personally, I didn't need all the family drama that Iron Fist also went with because what, the horrible miscasting of Finn Jones meant Iron Fist couldn't be fucking shit up out there like he's supposed to be. I'm probably just projecting obvious disappointment or whatever, I don't know lol

I didn't hate Luke Cage. I liked the first season.

Fuck though, what gets greenlit and what doesn't baffles me sometimes, even if that's just the way it is.  

I think Season 2 of Iron Fist was a massive improvement over Season 1, mainly because they reduced focus on Iron Fist and spent way more time compared to Season 1 on Colleen Wing, who was a much more interesting character played by a far more accomplished actor (and to be fair I did think Finn Jones improved a lot in S2). Mary Walker was also a great character in Season 2. But yeah, even with all that taken into consideration it wasn't challenging Jessica Jones or Daredevil at the top of the Netflix Marvel tree.

Luke Cage I think was hamstrung massively by killing off the actually decent villain like four episodes into the first season, so the next nine episodes had this really horrible Shatner-overacting level antagonist. It just didn't really work. Season 1 I think was, by far, the worst-paced Netflix season of them all. It should have been 6 episodes max. Season 2 was a bit better.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Season 1 I think was, by far, the worst-paced Netflix season of them all. It should have been 6 episodes max. Season 2 was a bit better.

I can't remember if I finished S2.  

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Luke Cage I think was hamstrung massively by killing off the actually decent villain like four episodes into the first season, so the next nine episodes had this really horrible Shatner-overacting level antagonist. It just didn't really work. Season 1 I think was, by far, the worst-paced Netflix season of them all. It should have been 6 episodes max. Season 2 was a bit better.

That actor was good on Boardwalk Empire, I think a lot of the problem was the writing. I don't think I'll ever forget the scene where he kills a guy and runs away yelling "I'm Luke cage!" In an effort to frame the hero. So stupid. 

Count me as someone who doesn't automatically see eighteen episodes as a problem. I think it's more an issue of budget per episode and getting good writers.

I am a little worried they're going to want to spend less on Disney+ shows after it lost all that money or whatever.

I think it may be less complicated than discussed so far:  18 episodes = 4 months of subscription to D+, assuming you're the type of rabid DD fan that can't wait until they're all out to binge them.

I would think there should be savings to continuing a show or doing longer seasons over starting up a whole new show, but somehow Netflix keeps cancelling things and putting out new stuff.  Has D+ cancelled anything prematurely yet?

Funnily I listened to this Trailer this morning, without actually seeing it, and in my head I thought 'Oh actually that sounds interesting'. I liked the idea of Scott Lang trying to get his time back, even if it's a bit of a stretch for his character.

But then I watched the trailer, with my eyes. I almost vomited in my mouth. It just looks like everything wrong with Marvel movies all squished together. That is the most CGI, tiny greenscreen soundstage, bollocks looking cartoon of a movie I can think of. I really hate what these movies have become visually. It's grim. This just looks like yet another completely forgettable MCU entry.

Its a bit sad because, as mediocre as the first Ant Man was, it's charm was that it was occasionally funny, more of a comedy than the others. It had a lightweight quality that meant I didn't need to take it too seriously. Its about a guy who goes really small or really big. 

This though, this is just some overly dense, serious, epic shit that I have no idea why it exists.

I had the opposite reaction, HoI. The previous trailers looked bad to me. The most CGI tiny greenscreen soundstage bollocks cartoon. I had no anticipation of seeing this, other than "it's another Marvel film, so I'll likely enjoy it" reaction.

This trailer looked tons better, granted maybe because there seems to be a personal story buried within the vast sci fi clutter. Kang's temptation feels like a real offer to Scott. Yes, I know he'll see the lies beneath the wrapping, but they're giving Scott something to struggle with.

I feel that this trailer revealed too much of the plot, but at the same time it made me question why the movie is still called Ant-man and The Wasp when focus was 100% on Scott Lang. So maybe the part they are keeping hidden, MCU-style, is related to Hope.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I feel that this trailer revealed too much of the plot, but at the same time it made me question why the movie is still called Ant-man and The Wasp when focus was 100% on Scott Lang. So maybe the part they are keeping hidden, MCU-style, is related to Hope.

We can hope.

:leaving:

Archived