MCU: KEVIN's world

Rhom

I found it quite intriguing, if a bit of a stupid premise (what, he is going to risk shit to get back the 5 years he lost?).  That being said i have no interest in watching it as i have no idea what is going on in the MCU anymore, Endgame was the correct place to finish. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Giancarlo Esposito wants to play Professor X. I would love to see him in this role. He has the gravitas and it'd be interesting to see him play a good guy for a change (which I guess we saw flashes of in Breaking Bad when he was playing his role as a restaurant entrepreneur).

Thoughts?

They talk about it at the 3:40 mark.

So I finally saw Black Panther 2, last night. I'm a bit conflicted how I feel on this one. It had a lot of moments I liked, but also a lot that made me face palm. Also the lighting in the first half of the film, was horrible; I literally couldn't even see what was happening, because no one would turn the lights on. Things get a lot better in the second half though. Angela Bassett and Winston Duke were amazing, but I wasn't impressed by anyone else to be honest. Shuri's first scene as the new Black Panther was my favorite part of the film, but her dream sequence was really good as well. Dominique Thorne was easily the weakest part of the film; you can tell she doesn't nearly have as much experience as anyone else in the film, from her lack of range. Not sure why Martin Freeman was even in this film, he basically contributed nothing to the story. I think I liked it more than a lot of the more recent MCU films, like Thor 4, Dr. Strange 2, Black Widow, and Shang Chi, but that's not saying a whole lot.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Not sure why Martin Freeman was even in this film, he basically contributed nothing to the story.

Same reason he's in the first film: Marvel believes that asking white audiences to watch an entire film with no white protagonist character is going to hurt the box office. 

Just now, mormont said:

Same reason he's in the first film: Marvel believes that asking white audiences to watch an entire film with no white protagonist character is going to hurt the box office. 

Alright?

I'm looking forward to the new Antman even if I have not bothered to watch the last two Marvel TV shows. Even if some of the most recent movies were a bit uneven I have yet to regret watching one in cinema(although I enjoyed Dr.Strange a lot and Thor amused me). The guy playing Kang was great in Loki if they give him something to work with I'm sure he will be decent. But I enjoyed Christian Bales parts in Thor 4 a lot so I guess I'm easy to please.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Not sure why Martin Freeman was even in this film, he basically contributed nothing to the story.

They needed a Tolkien white guy. Every movie should include a hobbit.

ETA: I remember reading about the original version of WF before Boseman passed included the subplot with Freeman and Dreyfus' characters much more heavily within the overall story. That's why their subplot felt so tacked on. They needed Val's presence for the MCU building toward Thunderbolts and were leveraging Ross' relationship with T'challa as the government connection. With the retooling of the story to focus on Shuri, we were left with Thor in the cave learning about the infinity stones when they had nothing to do with the Age of Ultron.  I mean, Ross and Val struggling to have a reason to be on screen.

Edited by Myrddin

I watched it and yeah, it's pretty good, but way too long. Like I know they had to deal with a lot, both on-screen and off, but it felt like it was just stretched a bit thin at times. I'm not sure what I would have pruned, but it did need pruning.

That included the action sequences- I think all of them were better than the mess that the ending of the first one turned into, but there was a real mix of quality there. The attack in the middle was superb, but the final scene felt like something that needed more cooking time- its concept was a lot stronger than it ended up being. 

Still, I liked it overall. 

Some of the more interesting non-spoiler reviews of Quantumania say things like Kang is a better villain than Thanos, Michele Pfeiffer steals the movie, and it's referred to as the MCU's Star Wars.   Not seen in the trailers is

Spoiler

a substantial rebellion / resistence plot, which i imagine is what brings the Star Wars comparison.

Edited by SpaceChampion

6 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Some of the more interesting non-spoiler reviews of Quantumania say things like Kang is a better villain than Thanos, Michele Pfeiffer steals the movie, and it's referred to as the MCU's Star Wars.   Not seen in the trailers is

Reveal hidden contents

a substantial rebellion / resistence plot, which i imagine is what brings the Star Wars comparison.

I’m reading between the lines of a lot of the early reviews and I am highly dubious that this is a ‘good’ movie. 

Saying things like ‘best of the trilogy’ is faint praise. We know Kang is a good villain from Loki but that on it’s own isn’t going to save a movie. 

There are comments like ‘it’s really weird’ and ‘leans into the sci fi’ , all of which reminds me of the way reviewers talked about Doctor Strange, and what they really meant was there is a lot of funky CGI, obviously CGI sequences. None of which I liked.

So we’ll see. 

Ouch. Not a great sign. And yeah - how do you make something with Jonathan Majors and Paul Rudd boring?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/movies/2023/02/14/ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-movie-review/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wp_homepage

“Quantumania” will most likely work as dutiful, if not particularly original, fan service. But for those of us who still crave films about recognizable human beings, there’s something dispiriting about watching such gifted actors legitimize yet another generically familiar sequel. The disconnect is particularly obvious watching Rudd — a brilliant comic actor and hugely appealing leading man — spending most of “Quantumania” running and yelling amid green-screen fakery and CGI filler. The endearing sweetness of the early “Ant-Man” movies, which tapped Rudd’s ineffable charm, has been bigfooted into a noisy, smash-and-grab extravaganza that, for all its self-conscious bigness, feels smaller and less ambitious than its predecessors. It’s never over. But it could be better.