MCU: KEVIN's world

Rhom

Seems like Quantumania and the new Flash movie both seem to be movies that nobody wants but are some sort of necessity to make other movies fit. 

Shame if true about Rudd. The only positives about the first Ant Man movie was it’s humour, the stupid moments with his ‘crew’ which actually they could have leveraged a lot more. I don’t think Marvel really know what to do with the character.

That outlines exactly what my primary fear for this movie has always been.  I hate to see it confirmed.

I think somewhere along the line, Marvel lost track of the fact that what drew everyone into the MCU was "Tony Stark built this in a CAVE!  From scraps!!!!!"  It felt real(ish) and didn't rely on a ton of green screen.  And the main villain didn't want to conquer the world, the galaxy, or the multiverse... he was on the same quest that we are all awaiting in SpaceBalls 2:  The Search for More Money.  

In fact, the first two Ironman films were about corporate espionage essentially.  Thor wasn't even a big space faring adventure (for better or worse).  Captain America was a World War 2 flick followed up by a spy thriller.

Even the first Avengers movie wasn't really over the top.

They got to the end of the Thanos phase of their MCU and they didn't know how to dial it back.  So you wind up with a Kung Fu movie with a great underlying conflict between father and son that ends with an army of magic goons and a giant CGI dragon that would make GRRM jealous.  They took the grounded Black Panther movie and followed it up with a movie that climaxed on a fake looking boat... they made a helicarrier look more realistic a decade ago!!!!!!

They needed to move backwards into human stories and then build up to it.  He Who Remains was fantastic in Loki.  And all he did was talk for 30 minutes.  Now they make him a cackling villain with a CGI super suit and reports are that he's boring?  Total facepalm.

And yet... I'll go see it this weekend and pay the full price.  Blame me.  I'm the reason they keep making movies like this.

Man I was looking forward to this one entirely because of Kang and the possibility of him being far more developed than Thanos was going into Infinity War. But 55% on 114 reviews on RT is the worst Marvel movie rating I can remember in quite some time. They're all almost all over 80% fresh despite being very formulaic summer action movies. I was planning to see this one in theaters but now I'm reconsidering.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Man I was looking forward to this one entirely because of Kang and the possibility of him being far more developed than Thanos was going into Infinity War. But 55% on 114 reviews on RT is the worst Marvel movie rating I can remember in quite some time. They're all almost all over 80% fresh despite being very formulaic summer action movies. I was planning to see this one in theaters but now I'm reconsidering.

Thor: Love & Thunder is at 64% and The Dark World is at 66%, but they usually take longer to drop to that level than the early reviews. So I, too, am feeling pessimistic now.

I know Rotten Tomatoes is not completely accurate for genre movies, but man, 52% positive rating is faint praise.

Gamespot review: "it's the kind of movie you'll completely forget within a couple of days because there's nothing really worth remembering"

So if this phase is off to an even worse start than the last one what is the plan? 

Sure one of the problems with phase 4 was that it was a bunch of disparate movies with little connection building up to nothing. So maybe this movie tries to solve that problem,  but if it’s bad and nobody watches it then it creates it’s own problems.

Fiege said phase 4 was about experimenting and taking risks, whether that’s true of bullshit trying to cover their asses I don’t know, but 5 has to be about bringing it all together somewhat. 

36 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So if this phase is off to an even worse start than the last one what is the plan? 

Sure one of the problems with phase 4 was that it was a bunch of disparate movies with little connection building up to nothing. So maybe this movie tries to solve that problem,  but if it’s bad and nobody watches it then it creates it’s own problems.

Fiege said phase 4 was about experimenting and taking risks, whether that’s true of bullshit trying to cover their asses I don’t know, but 5 has to be about bringing it all together somewhat. 

Aside from No Way Home have there been any good MCU films, since End Game? 

WF was alright, but had some major pacing issues and the others have been forgettable at best, IMO

1 minute ago, sifth said:

WF was alright, but had some major pacing issues and the others have been forgettable at best, IMO

If the criticism of this new Antman movie is "it's the kind of movie you'll completely forget within a couple of days because there's nothing really worth remembering" then that could apply to pretty much every single phase 4 movie (and maybe a few before that tbh)

I think the difference with Phase 4 was just how many duds and how few hits there were.

15 minutes ago, sifth said:

Love and Thunder was mostly good. I know quite a few people are wrong about this, but there you go.

I enjoyed Doctor Strange too, but mostly for being slightly more weird than the movies usually are. It didn't live long in my memory nor, it seems, in anyone else's. 

In hindsight the best phase 4 things have been Loki and, weirdly, Hawkeye, which is completely throwaway but... well, just quite well written. 

Well, and the werewolf thing. That was quality. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

“Time to shine” being interpreted by most as “more time to make better”.

Phase 4 has probably been the weakest (although Phase 1, let’s not forget, wasn’t a barn stormer either), I still find it odd that they had a whole phase that didn’t build to an Avengers film. So it suffered the twin problems of being mediocre and a bit aimless. But they have a solid pool to pick from now, you could stick Doctor Strange, Moon Knight and Werewolf By Night together for some occult adventure, scrape together an Avengers, have Daredevil resurrect the street level thing that Netflix had going, Captain Marvel has the whole cosmic thing. The scope is huge for story telling.

Eh. All of that is pretty meh to me. The biggest problem right now, at least for me, is that I just don't care that much about any of the heroes that are around. Dr. Strange is probably the best of the lot but it's not that big a deal. Thor was next up, but Love and Thunder really sucked. I don't need Moon Night or Daredevil in movies. I definitely don't need Werewolf By Night, or Eternals, or Shang Chi (at least as represented). 

Now to be fair I would have said that about Captain America before Winter Soldier, and I probably would have said that about GotG. The stories do matter and whatnot, as do the villains. But certainly nothing grabs me so far. 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

All hope lies in Doom

I had real hopes for Kang - both the actor and the role is pretty awesome, and he had a great intro from Loki. Doesn't sound like it's that great though. 

4 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I had real hopes for Kang - both the actor and the role is pretty awesome, and he had a great intro from Loki. Doesn't sound like it's that great though. 

According to the critics I’ve read, Kang works. It’s the rest of the movie that doesn’t. Some are even saying he’s better than Thanos.

Went to watch Ant-Man:Quantumania after working out at the gym. I can understand the criticisms, they are all valid. I think it helped that I was exhausted and didn't want to think too much about what I was watching. Opted out of seeing it on the biggest screen available so saw it on a smaller screen. Wasn't expecting it to be a 3D screening though.

I wasn't at all bored, but unfortunately there was nothing that got me overly excited. It was visually captivating, though the 3D was only useful in the introductory stages as the world a la Fantastic Voyage opens up, otherwise I wouldn't recommend watching it in 3D. (If you want a great 3D experience, watch Avatar 2 in 3D, on a giant screen.)

The problem I found was, unlike the first two Ant-Man movies, it just wasn't that much fun. I could see Rudd was trying his best, but a lot of his interactions with the older Cassie, Newton, didn't hit home for me. I've always liked Pfeiffer as Janet and Douglas as Hank. Anytime with them, especially when they remind you of their previous Wasp/Ant-Man modes, is appreciated. Lilly's Wasp is always badass for me. I much preferred the Pym family dynamic than the Lang one, in this movie. Majors' Kang was a decent introduction, but it seems clear now that we got the most interesting Kang variant, He Who Remains, in the Loki series - hope that variant resurfaces somewhere down the line. There's a mid credits scene, which predictably sets up near future appearances, and an end credits scene which I quite enjoyed and look forward to. Both feature variants of Kang. 

15 hours ago, sifth said:

I don't think there's been a bad one*.

But my feeling is, if I enjoyed an MCU movie, job done. I don't need them to be films that live in my head forever to give them a passing grade. I know not everyone feels the same.

* to be fair, I'd forgotten about Eternals, which might qualify. Certainly it's in the bottom 10% of MCU movies.

Edited by mormont

I think Marvel has a formula and systems in place to prevent them making any flat out terrible movies, certainly nothing to the level that WB/DC might spew out. Maybe that same formula means its quite hard to make anything interesting or exceptional either. 

Having said that, Phase 4 had at least a few movies that really trod the line of being actually bad. Love and Thunder and Black Widow are dangerously close to being total shit. Eternals is really just too underwhelming and forgettable to even class as a bad movie. 

Then Shang-Chi, Dr Strange and WF are all mediocre with flashes of fun. Only the Spider-Man movie, which isn't even a proper Marvel movie pushes into the 'good' category.

And that isn't even talking about the tv shows, each of which had promise but ultimately all underwhelmed. 

For Marvel's sake though, they need to start doing more than getting a 'passing grade', because they need people to anticipate the next movie, they need fans to buy into the brand and get excited their product. The more  'meh' reactions they create the more they are killing their cash cow.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

* to be fair, I'd forgotten about Eternals, which might qualify. Certainly it's in the bottom 10% of MCU movies.

Ironically enough, I found Eternals to be one of the most memorable films, but mostly because I'm a big fan of Ma Dong-seok. He's amazing in the film Train to Busan and basically steals the film, despite only being a supporting character.

I don't remember much about Shang Chi, I just remember not liking it. Maybe it was the music or how over the top the ending was, compared to the rest of the film.

Edited by sifth