MCU: KEVIN's world

Rhom

Maybe effect houses are starting to rebel at the number of shots for ridiculous deadlines? They're delivering the requested shots but showing what Marvel gets for the timeframe?

I’m sure rushed and over worked effects houses is a big part of it. However the whole approach to scenes within a lot of Disney productions seems to have the same issue.

They have obvious invested in these sound stage green screen sets and want to make the most of them but it just leads to scenes that look incredibly flat and unconvincing.

The same issues happened in lots of the SW tv shows like Obi wan, or Marvel shows like Moon Knight. 

Every shot being a foreground, with usually 2 people talking and a background, where the special effects live. So it all just looks low in scale ( maybe a good thing in an ant man movie ) and low In believability. It’s like they learnt nothing since the SW prequels. 

Surely any experienced director or cinematographer would realise it looks wank. Are they really that rushed that they don’t even try and do something else?

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m sure rushed and over worked effects houses is a big part of it. However the whole approach to scenes within a lot of Disney productions seems to have the same issue.

They have obvious invested in these sound stage green screen sets and want to make the most of them but it just leads to scenes that look incredibly flat and unconvincing.

The same issues happened in lots of the SW tv shows like Obi wan, or Marvel shows like Moon Knight. 

Every shot being a foreground, with usually 2 people talking and a background, where the special effects live. So it all just looks low in scale ( maybe a good thing in an ant man movie ) and low In believability. It’s like they learnt nothing since the SW prequels. 

Surely any experienced director or cinematographer would realise it looks wank. Are they really that rushed that they don’t even try and do something else?

Honestly, its like Mary Poppins or Who Framed Roger Rabbit? at times.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It's hard to know without seeing effects breakdowns, I'm not sure it's used on all their productions, but it might not even be the greenscreen soundstages that's the problem, it might be the Volume, that LCD surround-display thing they started using with Mandalorian. From seeing FX people talk about it, it has its advantages, it makes lighting the set to match the stuff that isn't there a lot easier for example, but it is very literally a backdrop and it can be easy to just get lazy with how the scenery tracks to the actors. 

From what I gather, with straight greenscreen etc, that's less likely to be an issue (though obviously possible) because the CG artists have to be very aware of where the actors are in the landscape to make it happen at all, and in any case these days they're not typically shooting just in front of a green wall, it's the whole set. The problem there becomes about the actors not knowing what they're interacting with, something we've obviously got countless examples of.  

Yeah, the volume is to blame:

https://www.slashfilm.com/1206017/peyton-reed-worried-the-mandalorians-volume-tech-wasnt-ready-for-ant-mans-quantum-realm/

Understandably, Reed was a tad skeptical, telling Collider, "There were things that I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure that the volume technology was ready for it." It turned out that, in some cases, the vastness of the microscopic Quantum Realm was actually too big to fit inside the Volume altogether.

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/1206017/peyton-reed-worried-the-mandalorians-volume-tech-wasnt-ready-for-ant-mans-quantum-realm/

Hmm yeah this quote seems pretty telling:

"There are limitations to it, and we push that system to its limit on this movie. There are things that it could do and it can't do. What works so well in 'Mandalorian' is they have a lot of lead time, because they're doing a whole series, to invest and create these environments, and on the schedule we were on, it's not always right for that situation."

I think its at least mildly ironic that we are still commenting in a MCU thread that I named after the fourth wall gag from She Hulk where Marvel explicitly acknowledges that everything people are complaining about with Antman is a problem... months before the movie released!

Yikes.

So yeah, sadly for Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania, it looks like moviegoers might be giving it a miss in lieu of waiting for the streaming release.

It's domestic opening weekend was somewhat soft compared to the 2022 MCU releases ($106 million), but was quite impressive compared to A-M and A-MatW, ($57m and $76m respectively).  Then the news isn't so good. It's Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday box office came in lower than both those films. Early estimates for Friday have it dropping ~71% from last Friday.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp-Quantumania-(2023)/Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp/Ant-Man#tab=weekend_comparison

It's early days but Quantumania might be falling off a cliff theatrically. In his second week, Kang the conquerer might get his ass kicked by a drug addled bear. 

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

In his second week, there's a good chance that Kang the conquerer is going to get his ass kicked by a drug addled bear. 

The bear looks more realistic and may tell a more coherent story.

(The marketing team for that movie seriously deserves an award.)

Well, after a 70% drop for the second weekend; domestically, for films not effected by the pandemic, A-M 3 just had the worst second Monday of any MCU film ($1.72 mil). If you include pandemic films, Eternals came in just below it ($1.70 mil).

That's pretty shocking. At this rate it'll be on D+ by the end of the month. It's, "minimum 45 days", isn't it?

On 3/1/2023 at 8:45 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Well, after a 70% drop for the second weekend; domestically, for films not effected by the pandemic, A-M 3 just had the worst second Monday of any MCU film ($1.72 mil). If you include pandemic films, Eternals came in just below it ($1.70 mil).

That's pretty shocking. At this rate it'll be on D+ by the end of the month. It's, "minimum 45 days", isn't it?

It doesn't look good in general for the MCU, I'm checking out the Phase 5 movie list and it's pretty uninspired. I'm hoping they do something interesting with Thunderbolts, but might just be some watered down Suicide Squad in reality.

----

Having said that, I didn't think Quantumania was terrible, it was just the very definition of a nothing movie. A worthy successor to Ant Man and the Wasp, a movie I'm sure I've watch but have zero recollection of.

The movie is literally held together off the back of Paul Rudd and Jonathan Majors, and is absolutely snooze inducing any time they are not on screen. 

I think everyone agrees the CGI is bizarrely bad at times. But the whole movie just has this empty, pointless feel, as if they are just shitting colours in your face for no reason and hoping that is enough to justify the ticket price. The whole movie seemed completely pointless, nothing had any weight or purpose. I didn't understand the rules of the Quantum Realm, its all just like 'yeah whatever' laziness.

My main takeaway is this was a 2 hour Rick and Morty episode, but with far less imagination and laughs. When Scott splits into all the many versions of himself that was something straight out of R&M, but they did the most obvious, least interesting thing they could have possibly done with it. That is maybe what is so disappointing about this movie, the concept could have been mind bending, you could have really played with reality and ideas, but naaah, just do shooty lasers.

And Hank and the ants.. I expected him to burp and shout 'Wubba lubba dub dub'. But he didn't.

So far the Multiverse concept has been a total dud, they have been very scared of actually playing with it. 

Archived