MCU: KEVIN's world

Rhom

18 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I think Namor looked refreshingly normal. Not comic book steroided out muscles. 

I don't think he looked 'normal', exactly - he just wasn't doing the standard dehydration/cutting to make him look extra ripped for the couple of shirtless shots he had. He definitely didn't look dumpy or anything. 

This has a couple good pics of him - as well as a hilarious request to bring back his giant schlong.

https://toofab.com/2022/11/22/namor-tenoch-huerta-wakanda-forever-bulge/

Yeah, you guys have had your expectations properly fucked with if you think that's 'flabby' ffs. 

I think it's an arms race started by Chrises Hemsworth and Evans in their MCU movies, coz it's a pretty recent trend to expect everyone to look like that: Hugh Jackman in the first X-Men was if anything probably less toned than Tenoch Huerta in this, but nobody batted an eyelid back then, because he was clearly still in ridiculous shape. Now he'd be in 'bad shape'. Heck, Christian Bale's Batman probably wouldn't be up to scratch by these standards. 

eta: go have a watch physical 100 on Netflix. There are some proper cut guys involved for sure, but most of the guys reaching the final stages of a show all about finding the most in-shape person bear more resemblance to Namor than they do to whatever standards you seem to be judging him by.

Of course expectations for what a superhero looks like are sky high in the age of rampant steroid use and personal training.. but that’s why it stands out so much when the main villain gets his top off and has love handles, barely an ab to be seen and doesn’t even have capped delts like any good little steroid user. 

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

eta: go have a watch physical 100 on Netflix. There are some proper cut guys involved for sure, but most of the guys reaching the final stages of a show all about finding the most in-shape person bear more resemblance to Namor than they do to whatever standards you seem to be judging him by.

Yep! It was weird to see that the skeleton gold medalist was absurdly cut, but some of the athletes that made it the furthest had no major definition. They were just, well, crazy strong. 

I also think it was somewhat deliberate to contrast with what Killmonger or T'Challa looked like in the previous film. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finally finished Wakanda Forever, my main takeaway is has there ever been superhero/villain in such bad shape as Namor?

Thor! The Blob also comes to mind. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Hugh Jackman in the first X-Men was if anything probably less toned than Tenoch Huerta in this

Shiiiit, I forgot about that. He looks like me after 2 weeks at an all inclusive. 

X-Men was the only movie Jackman didn't prepare before hand for Logan's physique,  he was hired last minute (Dougray Scott got stuck filming MI:2 and lost the role). That's why Logan is running around in a hoodie for part of the movie. They shot the cage fight scene later in production, after Jackman put on some muscle.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Of course expectations for what a superhero looks like are sky high in the age of rampant steroid use and personal training

Yeah, and they're fucked up expectations. It's not just superheroes either: look at the difference between Antonio Tarver (an actual athlete) in Rocky Balboa in 2006, and what Michael B Jordan and Jonathan Majors are being asked to do for Creed 3 today. 
I mean, you guys didn't say 'he's not quite superhero trim', you said he's out of shape and flabby. 

I feel like if Daniel Craig made his Bond debut today that scene of him coming out of the ocean in his little blue shorts would be dismissed as 'no abs, love handles'.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, and they're fucked up expectations. It's not just superheroes either: look at the difference between Antonio Tarver (an actual athlete) in Rocky Balboa in 2006, and what Michael B Jordan and Jonathan Majors are being asked to do for Creed 3 today. 

Yes I agree the expectations are messed up, but mainly because it’s dishonest to pretend the way those actors look is just pure hard work, and not a combination of personal training, expensive juicy drugs, good lighting and some digital enhancement, to produce a very temporary look.

Having said all that, it doesn’t make it any less odd when Joe average body fat ‘do you even lift bro’ jumps out of the water and tries to look intimidating. 

These actors have been made to look like comic book superheroes come to life, not just some dad bod in speedos.

And that’s the point isn’t it? Comparing these actors to real athletes is missing the point, because this isn’t about performance, it’s about aesthetics pure and simple. They exist on a visual medium and are there to project an image and look a certain way. They are basically bodybuilders.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I feel like if Daniel Craig made his Bond debut today that scene of him coming out of the ocean in his little blue shorts would be dismissed as 'no abs, love handles'.

Daniel Craig is in better shape now than the Namor guy. And he’s a fucking pensioner. 

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, you guys didn't say 'he's not quite superhero trim', you said he's out of shape and flabby. 

my main takeaway is has there ever been superhero/villain in such bad shape as Namor?

you clearly couldn't be more wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Daniel Craig is in better shape now than the Namor guy. And he’s a fucking pensioner. 

Yeah but I mean that's just not true. 

Like, I get he doesn't look as ridiculous as the other Marvel dudes, but how are you looking that guy and going 'dad bod'. It's just not true. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

you clearly couldn't be more wrong. 

I dunno, I can clearly see the phrase 'such bad shape' in that quote. Even if you meant it otherwise, surely you can see why me and Kal interpreted it that way. 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think it's an arms race started by Chrises Hemsworth and Evans in their MCU movies, coz it's a pretty recent trend to expect everyone to look like that: Hugh Jackman in the first X-Men was if anything probably less toned than Tenoch Huerta in this, but nobody batted an eyelid back then, because he was clearly still in ridiculous shape. Now he'd be in 'bad shape'. Heck, Christian Bale's Batman probably wouldn't be up to scratch by these standards. 

If memory serves, he only had about 3 months to get in any kind of shape whatsoever, as he signed on just as they'd started filming. He talks about it a bit in this interview.

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

And that’s the point isn’t it? Comparing these actors to real athletes is missing the point, because this isn’t about performance, it’s about aesthetics pure and simple. They exist on a visual medium and are there to project an image and look a certain way. They are basically bodybuilders.

You know what's really messed up? This. Watching this interview with Cavill, I felt my brain collapsing into itself from abject confusion. He could *smell* water? And his skin got extra thin? WHY. What possible narrative need is there for him to do this to himself? How does it even remotely add to the story? Why is it necessary? Just a thousand and one questions. 

6 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The writer for Avengers: Kang Dynasty says there's no plans for the X-Men anytime soon and neither them or the F4 will appear in the movie. Now, he could be lying, but this feels like a team that is struggling during the game, but the coach insists on leaving it's best player on the bench without explanation.

At this point, I almost wonder if it wouldn’t be better to just reboot the MCU after secret wars and start fresh for X/F4 with no weight of prior films. :dunno: 

Archived