Chapters in High Valyrian and Dothraki

Rosetta Stone

One thing I could wish for in the last two books are chapters written in High Valyrian and Dothraki.  The author has said that we will be spending a lot of time with the Dothraki in The Winds of Winter. Yaaayyy! :D  More chapters with Khaleesi will be terrific.   It would be an awesome writing challenge for George Martin and a treat for Khaleesi fans such as me to read through the chapters written in Dothraki.  Some of Daenerys Targaryen's chapters should be written in High Valyrian and make those already awesome chapters even more so.  It will bring a new level of entertainment and engagement for the fans.  :D:D:D

The Martin needs to stay focused on finishing ASOIAF.  Learning other languages, just so that he could write a couple of chapters in them, would not be a good use of his time.  But if he writes them in English, and someone else translates them into Valyrian or Dothraki, I'd be fine with that.

I know there are instructional materials for both languages available on-line.  I took a quick look at them some years ago, but decided that learning either one was a lot of work for not much reward, there being nothing available to read.

But I'm curious are there any readers who have actually acquired some skill in either of these languages?

I think this is something to do after the main series is already complete. Only a tiny minority of fans would have the proficiency with either High Valyrian or Dothraki to read chapters written in them anyway. For those not well versed it would break the flow of the story as they would have to stop and translate it.

7 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

The author has said that we will be spending a lot of time with the Dothraki in The Winds of Winter.

Hopefully they will be developed more. I want to see their motives expanded beyond raid and pillage.

Dany's chapters in High Valyrian would be fun.  It is another way for George R. R. Martin to create a unique novel which breaks the norms.  Require the most loyal readers to learn High Valyrian.  The idea is fantastic and I hope GRRM will consider.  

High Valyrian is the language of the most noble of nobles.  It will be worthwhile to learn it in Duolingo or through some other channel.  GRRM can give us a warning ahead of time so we can prepare.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived