[Spoilers]Rings of Power 3: Tolkien’s actual writing… who needs that?

Ser Scot A Ellison

@LynnS

This interesting.  Sauron wasn't always evil and there is an idea that the power of the elves on earth was fading:

That point is there in all of Tolkien’s work.  Not once does Tolkien suggest that Mithril has some bizarre property that will prevent the fading of the Elves.  That is pure RoP horseshit.

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@LynnS

That point is there in all of Tolkien’s work.  Not once does Tolkien suggest that Mithril has some bizarre property that will prevent the fading of the Elves.  That is pure RoP horseshit.

And on top of that, didn't mithril exist in Beleriand in the First Age, and also in Númenor in the SA? It wasn't created by some weird battle between an elf and a Balrog over a tree which then infused the roots with their power that then seeped into the earth. lol

36 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

SA? It wasn't created by some weird battle between an elf and a Balrog over a tree which then infused the roots with their power that then seeped into the earth. lol

:shocked:

Really?

Why not just have wizards casting cards at each other marketing “Magic: The Gathering” in this show too.

Just wanted to add this observation, I am re-reading LOTR and looked at the appendices, and there's really a nice outline for the entire series there in Appendix B.

They could compress time here and there, add creative touches, and it would make a nice story (and nice prequel to the LOTR movies). Here's what they did instead:

• Make up a Sauron plot to fool the audience and Galadriel, to no effect other than to make her look bad. Take Numenor and the Southlands along for the ride.
  • Make up a Gandalf plot to fool the audience, to no effect. Take the pre-hobbits along for the ride.
  • Make up a mithral plot with the dwarves, introducing the balrog way too early, to the effect of derailing the third age story.
  • Change the rings plot significantly, after spending only a few minutes on it in the end. They finally got around to the real story, but still made up their own, and it makes no sense.

Also they could have played up Galadriel and Celeborn, getting creative with the real story, and people would have shipped that. Instead, there's Galadriel and Sauron shipping.

32 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

And on top of that, didn't mithril exist in Beleriand in the First Age, and also in Númenor in the SA? It wasn't created by some weird battle between an elf and a Balrog over a tree which then infused the roots with their power that then seeped into the earth. lol

I believe Earendil's ship is made with mithril. 

The mithril stuff is just bizarre as hell. I'm not even sure what they're going with that, why it heals elves, and if they mean to have Durin's Bane go after the dwarves over mithril or something. 

Anyway: set pics from Season 2 

Yeah, the Hobbit movies were hilariously bad.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

More Elrond/Durin and Adar/Uruks in season 2 please. 

Agreed. Tbh, I hope they keep Adar around and he isn't just offed fairly soon into S2. I think Adar/ Sauron could also be interesting.

I’m a bit more “meh” about RoP than my partner, who thought it was ok.  She picked up on all of the plot holes and weaknesses pointed out here, and cared about some, and others not as much.  Sauron and Galadriel belong together: both of their excuses for being in the middle of the fucking ocean have zero logic.

The show got me going back to some of the lore - it’s been 25 years since I touched the silmarillion, or book of lost tales, etc.  Library had the Beren and Lúthien book, and it tickled another thing that I *think* the show altered history in a way they can’t address in the show, but would have been really interesting - Sauron captured and eventually killed Finrod, but couldn’t force him to reveal who he was, as he aided Beren in sneaking into Sauron’s stronghold.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@LynnS

Are you commenting about the youtube I posted?  He doesn't seem like an idiot to me.  He didn't say anything about Mithril. just commented that the power of the elves was fading the longer they remained on middle earth.  That seems to be something from Tolkein's letters.  I don't know; I have to read the book first.  The show is probably making some loose connection to one of the elven rings made of mithril. 

I'm not here to fight with people.  I'm interested in the lore and that's all.

8 hours ago, LynnS said:

Are you commenting about the youtube I posted?  He doesn't seem like an idiot to me.  He didn't say anything about Mithril. just commented that the power of the elves was fading the longer they remained on middle earth.  That seems to be something from Tolkein's letters.  I don't know; I have to read the book first.  The show is probably making some loose connection to one of the elven rings made of mithril. 

I'm not here to fight with people.  I'm interested in the lore and that's all.

There is no “lore” that said that Mithril would prevent the fading of the Elves.  None.  That is pure RoP nonsense.  The Elves started “fading” the moment humans awakened to life in Middle-Earth.

ETA:

It’s not like a morning bowl of Mithril flakes would stop it.

48 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s not like a morning bowl of Mithril flakes would stop it.

Right.  But the elven rings did stall it until the one ring was destroyed.  So yes, the show is not the books.  But I never thought it was.  

22 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Right.  But the elven rings did stall it until the one ring was destroyed.  So yes, the show is not the books.  But I never thought it was.  

There is nothing that indicates the substance used to make the rings mattered a whit… before RoP.  It was the artistry and magic used that mattered.

22 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I enjoyed this far more than The Hobbit I must say. 

Looks forward to season 2 now.

More Elrond/Durin and Adar/Uruks in season 2 please. 

It is too much to ask, but the notion of Adar lasting until season 5 and taking part in the Battle of Dagorlad would be supremely awesome. Adar and Elrond/Durin is honestly carrying the show right now.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is nothing that indicates the substance used to make the rings mattered a whit… before RoP.  It was the artistry and magic used that mattered.

I dare say there is a lot that is purely show invention.  We can only hope that people will want to read the books if they are casual viewers.  That's what happened to me with Game of Thrones.  I loved season one and read the books.  Then I loved the books and hated the show.  Well, the last few seasons anyway.

I'm waiting for my copy of Tolkein's Letters to arrive.  I'm pretty excited to read it.  So RoP is sending me back to the books.  I hope there are people around who want to discuss the letters.  Because what are we going to talk about now?  The show is over and it won't be showing its ugly face  again for two years.

Archived