What are you favourite moments of extra-spooky foreshadowing?

Sandy Clegg

Halloween Is Coming ...

Obviously GRRM is a gardener writer and these interpretations are all subject to his whims as he struggles with the next books.

Having said that, what parts of the books that might foreshadow future scenes made you go 'yikes!'

Here's one I like from a Jon chapter, possibly foreshadowing his re-reunion with Bran and Catelyn in more ... sinister circumstances (woo ha ha).

But now there was no more time.
He stood in the door for a moment, afraid to speak, afraid to come closer. The window was open. Below, a wolf howled. Ghost heard and lifted his head.
Lady Stark looked over. For a moment she did not seem to recognize him. Finally she blinked. "What are you doing here?" she asked in a voice strangely flat and emotionless.
"I came to see Bran," Jon said. "To say good-bye."
Her face did not change. Her long auburn hair was dull and tangled. She looked as though she had aged twenty years. "You've said it. Now go away."Part of him wanted only to flee, but he knew that if he did he might never see Bran again. He took a nervous step into the room. "Please," he said.Something cold moved in her eyes.
"I told you to leave," she said. "We don't want you here."Once that would have sent him running. Once that might even have made him cry. Now it only made him angry. He would be a Sworn Brother of the Night's Watch soon, and face worse dangers than Catelyn Tully Stark. "He's my brother," he said.
"Shall I call the guards?"
"Call them," Jon said, defiant. "You can't stop me from seeing him." He crossed the room, keeping the bed between them, and looked down on Bran where he lay.
She was holding one of his hands. It looked like a claw. This was not the Bran he remembered. The flesh had all gone from him. His skin stretched tight over bones like sticks. Under the blanket, his legs bent in ways that made Jon sick. His eyes were sunken deep into black pits; open, but they saw nothing. The fall had shrunken him somehow. He looked half a leaf, as if the first strong wind would carry him off to his grave.

For some reason I get Perseus entering Medusa's lair vibes, especially knowing what she will eventually become. 

So .... What are the book scenes that give you the spine-chilling 'foreshadowing creeps'?

ACOK: Catelyn in Renly's tent just before the feast. Definitely foreshadowing her demise.

The steel was polished to such a high sheen that she could see her reflection in the breastplate, gazing back at her as if from the bottom of a deep green pond. The face of a drowned woman, Catelyn thought. Can you drown in grief?

4 hours ago, Lady Silverwing said:

ACOK: Catelyn in Renly's tent just before the feast. Definitely foreshadowing her demise.

Very good catch.

This one, Stoneheart again, is really spooky for me (AFFC Brienne VIII):

A trestle table had been set up across the cave, in a cleft in the rock. Behind it sat a woman all in grey, cloaked and hooded. In her hands was a crown, a bronze circlet ringed by iron swords. She was studying it, her fingers stroking the blades as if to test their sharpness. Her eyes glimmered under her hood.
Grey was the color of the silent sisters, the handmaidens of the Stranger. Brienne felt a shiver climb her spine. Stoneheart.

She is (logically) associated with the Stranger (same chapter):

"M’lady." The wine was making her head spin. It was hard to think. "Stoneheart. Is that who you mean?" Lord Randyll had spoken of her, back at Maidenpool. "Lady Stoneheart."
"Some call her that. Some call her other things. The Silent Sister. Mother Merciless. The Hangwoman."

She matches the description (AFFC Jaime I):

Through the Mother’s Doors marched white septas from their cloister, seven abreast and singing softly, while the silent sisters came single file down the Stranger’s Steps. Death’s handmaidens were garbed in soft grey, their faces hooded and shawled so only their eyes could be seen.

I think the Others are associated with the Stranger, the Great Other of Melisandre. My guess is, she will connect at some point with them. And will work with or for them. Or them for her.

As a fan who doesn’t think Jon is dead, this one creeps me out.  Is it foreshadowing Jon coming back from the dead, or Jon finding an evil spirit in the crypts, or just a nice memory for Arya?

When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb's leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour. "You stupid," she told him, "you scared the baby," but Jon and Robb just laughed and laughed, and pretty soon Bran and Arya were laughing too.

Here's another one that comes to mind...Sansa has thought a couple of other things that haven't come to pass yet that I'm hoping come true too.

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head.

The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, "Edd, fetch me a block," and unsheathed Longclaw.

Archived