Why I disagree with the 2 complains of episode 9

I have been a person that doesn't like Hollywood spectacle over subtance, especiall in ASOIAF because I believe that it corrupts the essense of Martin's world. I do believe that people judge the events of episode 9 by a wrong persepctive.

Debate #1: From Dusk Till Dawn (in Westeros) [The Larys feet scene]

There are people that are not joking when they say that Larys did everything for feet. That's a very childish and shallow assumption to make (in my honest and maybe flawed opinion). What this scene obviously did is masterfully deconstruct the whole character of Larys Strong from the inside out, giving us a view to his mentality.

We see Helaena saying that (in free quote) "everyone desires what he doesn't have".

Then in this scene that follows Larys enters and the camera shows his broken ugly foot, making his walking hard and unbearable. This ruthless man then offers information and what he asks in response is something that seems simple and maybe stupid for many of us, but for him it's his ancor, his biggest chain and what he desires so much, the Royal feet.

This struggle is forshadowed in the book as well (spoiler): 

Spoiler

When he is about to get excecuted by Lord Stark, he asks for him to cut his foot from his dead body with Ice so that he can finally be free of it in the next life.

I find this scene excellent from a storytelling and cinematic point and even if it's goofy, it's very GRRM for the people that have read his ASOIAF books.

Debate #2: F#!k the Police, coming staight from the underground (aka Rhaenys escape from KL)

Rhaenys is facing a dilemma three times this episode:

Struggle 1: Give support to The Greens or face the concequences of Traitors.

This is an obvious problem. Rhaenys is a prisoner and she has to either go against her family, even if she isn't a fan of Rhaenyra or face Black Cell/Execution.

This struggle is solved by a Deus Ex Machina when The Kingsguard Arryk saves her.

Struggle 2: Leave by ship and just save her life but surrender her legacy or try to take Meleys and risk to either be caught or to create the necessary destruction to her escape path.

This option is obvious, not for us but for who Rhaenys is, a woman that (like har grandmother and her daughter) has been defined her whole life by her dragonriding ability and passion. For her, Meleys has been not only freedom, but also true equality or even superiority in a world that women are very supressed. She was even denied her birthright for this very reason, and even if she came to peace with it a long time ago, the fire still burns her soul. She will take casualties in commonfolk for her freedom, in the society that she lives it's something the nobles do a lot (the common face see them as demigods) and she is a Targaryen/Baratheon as well, Fire & Blood/Ours is The Fury are her words.

Struggle 3: Burn The Greens or just flee the Capital

This is the biggest mistake that imo people make when they judge this episode. People think here:

A civil war will happen so if Rhaenys burns everyone here, the War will now happen so she acts with plotarmor. DO you see where the flaw is? People think of this from the future. We know that a civil war will happen and we put thios mentality on Rhaenys. What are these characters truly seeing at this moment though? They see a realm that is at the verge of Civil war and one stupid mistake can burn the whole Realm. If Rhaenys says Dracarys here, she becomes a Kinslayer that burns the whole Royal family, including the young, newly crowned King (in front of the Gods themselves) who does it to userp the crown that she didn't get in 101 AC for her and her family. She has instantly divided the realm eternaly against them all and has effectively cursed her whole family. Also she needs to actively murder these Royals, wholse lifes back then DID matter more than commonfol, liek it or not this is what people believed back then.

Extra: People do a similar mistake when the judge Aegon's raping of the maiden

A rape is always a rape but the World of Westeros is not 2022, the act of a noble raping a common girl is not faced the same way by society as it is now. Bare in mid that just 50 years earlier in Westeros, they had a custom that The Liege Lord can visit any wedding of his subjects and forcefully have sex with the bride. And if she also left her pregnant, it was considered good luck (xD).

Disclaimer: It does not mean that his act is not rape or that it was a good act but it's not an act that is reprehensible the same way it would bhe today. We people act in a way that socciety allows us to without being sidelined and isolated. It's easy for a spoiled royal brat that thinks and is treated like a little god to act liek that because he thinks he is entitled to do so on his subjects.

Just a little food for though, I perosnally think that people have judged this episode wrong and it's not as shallow as they think. This will probably be cleared more in the final episode (and the 2 of the next season) when we will get context about how the War will start and how the characters feel about it.

I mean Olivia Cooke has some sexy feet.

Extra: People do a similar mistake when the judge Aegon's raping of the maiden

A rape is always a rape but the World of Westeros is not 2022, the act of a noble raping a common girl is not faced the same way by society as it is now. Bare in mid that just 50 years earlier in Westeros, they had a custom that The Liege Lord can visit any wedding of his subjects and forcefully have sex with the bride. And if she also left her pregnant, it was considered good luck (xD).

Unfortunately, I think you missed the point of the scene and it's easy to do so because the metaphor is being lost but in fact Aegon's rape of the maiden is not a commentary on life back then but is a commentary on life NOW. Specifically, a rich woman of privilege attempting to simultaneously bribe/intimidate a lower class woman of poor means into keeping silent about her sexual assault is not abnormal in 2022.

And looks more or less identical to what happened in the Red Keep.

Indeed, in Westeros, if not for Alicent being an unusually pious and good woman for her time, no one would have commented on it at all. There would even be a legal argument it is impossible for a Prince to rape a unmarried servant girl since she'd be expected to acquiese to his commands.

Because Westeros is a hellhole for the Smallfolk.

On 10/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, Dreadscythe95 said:

Just a little food for though

I can’t believe people didn’t like the footing scene or the checkmate? scene. Everyone has there own tastes.

Imagine the complaints if they showed Tyrion’s purple veined manhood. No matter what the audience is shown, on any level, the complaints would be it’s not in the books. 

14 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean Olivia Cooke has some sexy feet.

Unfortunately, I think you missed the point of the scene and it's easy to do so because the metaphor is being lost but in fact Aegon's rape of the maiden is not a commentary on life back then but is a commentary on life NOW. Specifically, a rich woman of privilege attempting to simultaneously bribe/intimidate a lower class woman of poor means into keeping silent about her sexual assault is not abnormal in 2022.

And looks more or less identical to what happened in the Red Keep.

Indeed, in Westeros, if not for Alicent being an unusually pious and good woman for her time, no one would have commented on it at all. There would even be a legal argument it is impossible for a Prince to rape a unmarried servant girl since she'd be expected to acquiese to his commands.

Because Westeros is a hellhole for the Smallfolk.

The action is not abnormal for today, I agree and of course it's made for people to have reflections intro today. Still, noone can deny that morality is completely different.

Exactly, you are on point here. I think we are saying the same thing,

There are people that condemn Aegon as a rapist of our times and eventhough I will not try to defend him I will say that it's a wrong take on the character. How will someone act when he has Divine Power in Middle Ages is very different to how someone will act in a society in 2022.

There are people that condemn Aegon as a rapist of our times and eventhough I will not try to defend him I will say that it's a wrong take on the character. How will someone act when he has Divine Power in Middle Ages is very different to how someone will act in a society in 2022.

Eh, I actually wouldn't go that far.

He's still a piece of crap because whether he's allowed to by Medieval values or not, he's still a monster.

9 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Eh, I actually wouldn't go that far.

He's still a piece of crap because whether he's allowed to by Medieval values or not, he's still a monster.

He is definitely not a good person. He is a spoiled brat that can easily abuse power. There worse people in Westeros in power though.

I was specificaly talking about the rape though. People translate the action wrong. Its not a person raped by his boss rape.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:35 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Aegon's rape of the maiden

I need to watch that again. Everyone keeps talking about that. I thought we were just getting the impression of a sexual assault and something else happened. The tea was seven sigh tea? Wasn’t it? Or sea of sigh tea? I don’t remember them discussing any sexual act. Just Aegon being there and disappearing to scare her. Was the servants fear for what she witnessed or did he violate her in a way?

3 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I need to watch that again. Everyone keeps talking about that. I thought we were just getting the impression of a sexual assault and something else happened. The tea was seven sigh tea? Wasn’t it? Or sea of sigh tea? I don’t remember them discussing any sexual act. Just Aegon being there and disappearing to scare her. Was the servants fear for what she witnessed or did he violate her in a way?

It was moon tea and yes, she was sexually assaulted. Alicent gave her gold and told her to keep her mouth shut.

38 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

was moon tea

Hmm. Ok. I’m always suspicious. I just assume there is always more or something other going on. I was thinking of that as an explanation of prostitutes trained in the way of seven sighs. I Didn’t think they named the tea anything or mention it. If I remember correctly. I watch again. Just odd that an assault was never mentioned. Did that episode have a recast of Aegon or was that just a haircut? 

44 minutes ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

Hmm. Ok. I’m always suspicious. I just assume there is always more or something other going on. I was thinking of that as an explanation of prostitutes trained in the way of seven sighs. I Didn’t think they named the tea anything or mention it. If I remember correctly. I watch again. Just odd that an assault was never mentioned. Did that episode have a recast of Aegon or was that just a haircut? 

I mean she gives her moon tea, tells her not to say anything, and then goes to tell her son that he's disowned as far as she's concerned.

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

tell her son that he's disowned

I liked that part. Reminds me of my own mom waking me up for high school with threats, anger and general disappointment.

I recall her saying your not my son. Reminded me of Tyrion and Tywin. That got me thinking, ” oh maybe Aegon is not supposed to be left alone and unguarded or he’ll run away, disappear.” Or maybe he dropped his mask or revealed apart of him or something. The tea I need to look at.

GRRM has fooled me so many times he’s made me question everything. He’s worst is when he confounds me with truth!  
:Shakes fist at sky: Martin! I curse thy name!

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

disowned as far as she's

Just had a silly thought. What if Aegon was jerking off at the window again and he slipped and fell out? He just disappeared? That’s why he needs to be guarded. He just can’t resist. He’s weirder than his sister. 

The pervert prince madly masturbating as he falls to his death. “I regret nothing!” Splat,splat.

Double splat get it? It’s gross but funny…if your as immature as I am.

Archived