Aegon the Unworthy

I'm not sure how far this show is planning on going into the different Targaryen Kings, but I for one would love to see the reign of Aegon IV. There are two reasons for this: One, the amount of debauchery, misrule, political chaos, and murder in this period and afterwards is ripe for the picking for great television. Secondly, this would potentially introduce us to Brynden Rivers, who plays a pretty big role in ASoIaF's narrative as a whole. Plus it would be easy to continue on through the next few Kings to get us the Dunk and Egg action we all have been dying to see.  

1 hour ago, Cashless Society said:

Agree 100%. I've always believed that adapting D&E without first doing the Blackfyre rebellion (and the events leading up to it) doesn't really make that much sense.

I mean to me that's like saying you can't do A Game of Thrones without Robert's Rebellion.

9 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

Agree 100%. I've always believed that adapting D&E without first doing the Blackfyre rebellion (and the events leading up to it) doesn't really make that much sense.

Totally agree. Blackfyre rebellion would definitely be in there, I was referring more to these specific characters I would love to see adapted on television. There is so much excellent "broad strokes" material in F&B and TWoIaF that could be fleshed-out on screen that they could keep the show on for a decade if the quality stayed high. 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

This show certainly won't go far enough. It if it's a big enough hit, I could see a spin-off with The Young Dragon, Baelor the Blessed and Viserys though, eventually reaching the Unworthy's reign.

I could definitely see that as well, they could really do it either way. I actually rather like the idea of a show whose main cast continuously changes, but spinoffs could work, though with spinoffs come new staff and showrunners. New people behind the scenes can lead to a general decline in quality as the spinoffs create spinoffs that create spinoffs, ad Infinium. *cough*Marvel*cough....  

12 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean to me that's like saying you can't do A Game of Thrones without Robert's Rebellion.

To me, they aren't really the same. Robert's Rebellion (inclusive of the events leading up to it) is meant to have a lot of ambiguities that invites audience speculation. Telling that story on its own is counterintuitive  to the main ASoIaF narrative.

The Blackfyre Rebellion, on the other hand, is pretty straightforward without any mysteries. It would also remove the burden of coming up with extensive exposition of the rebellion just so that the audience is provided with the necessary context to understand The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight. Would it also not be easier to sympathise with Bloodraven if we see his backstory rather than piecing it together through the various exposition dumps? And the bitterness that Maekar feels over the fact that people remember Baelor's role as the hammer and not his as the anvil? Imagine how powerful a scene where both of them arrive at Ashford and the crowd starts singing the song and the contrasting reactions between the brothers would be if the audience has already experienced the event instead of being told about it? And Dorne, we need more Dorne representation in Westeros (a better version than whatever GoT gave us).

1 hour ago, Bobby B. VIII said:

I could definitely see that as well, they could really do it either way. I actually rather like the idea of a show whose main cast continuously changes, but spinoffs could work, though with spinoffs come new staff and showrunners. New people behind the scenes can lead to a general decline in quality as the spinoffs create spinoffs that create spinoffs, ad Infinium. *cough*Marvel*cough....  

No showrunner is going to stick to one continuous story for such an expanded period of time as they find working on a same thing to get tiring after a while. Creatives always look for something new and challenging.

4 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

To me, they aren't really the same. Robert's Rebellion (inclusive of the events leading up to it) is meant to have a lot of ambiguities that invites audience speculation. Telling that story on its own is counterintuitive  to the main ASoIaF narrative.

The Blackfyre Rebellion, on the other hand, is pretty straightforward without any mysteries. It would also remove the burden of coming up with extensive exposition of the rebellion just so that the audience is provided with the necessary context to understand The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight. Would it also not be easier to sympathise with Bloodraven if we see his backstory rather than piecing it together through the various exposition dumps? And the bitterness that Maekar feels over the fact that people remember Baelor's role as the hammer and not his as the anvil? Imagine how powerful a scene where both of them arrive at Ashford and the crowd starts singing the song and the contrasting reactions between the brothers would be if the audience has already experienced the event instead of being told about it? And Dorne, we need more Dorne representation in Westeros (a better version than whatever GoT gave us).

Maekar's bitterness is informed by secondhand evidence from people that don't really know him. Maekar is gonna have Bloodraven as a Hand for the rest of his reign. We are able to imagine emnity between him and Bloodraven in Mystery Knight because we don't have much to go on beyond what the hedge knights are saying about them at the campfire. Bloodraven status as a sorcerer is also mostly tall tales made by people that lost everything in a war he was instrumental in winning. We aren't suppose to know much magic he actually used to kill Daemon Blackfyre.

9 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

No showrunner is going to stick to one continuous story for such an expanded period of time as they find working on a same thing to get tiring after a while. Creatives always look for something new and challenging.

Which is exactly why I think it could work as one show. A showrunner is less likely to move on if the project they are involved with is continuously evolving in the story and in the cast. More people move on from a project because it is starting to get stagnent. 

Which is exactly why I think it could work as one show. A showrunner is less likely to move on if the project they are involved with is continuously evolving in the story and in the cast. More people move on from a project because it is starting to get stagnent. 

No, the people involved will want to move on to something that isn't ASOIAF related. There's also the matter that people that finish a successful show and stick the landing will much more easily have their next project approved, and make more money doing so.

Besides, there's not that much noteworthy in Aegon III's reign, so it would be easier to move to a spin-off.

7 hours ago, Denam_Pavel said:

Maekar's bitterness is informed by secondhand evidence from people that don't really know him. Maekar is gonna have Bloodraven as a Hand for the rest of his reign. We are able to imagine emnity between him and Bloodraven in Mystery Knight because we don't have much to go on beyond what the hedge knights are saying about them at the campfire. Bloodraven status as a sorcerer is also mostly tall tales made by people that lost everything in a war he was instrumental in winning. We aren't suppose to know much magic he actually used to kill Daemon Blackfyre.

It's also informed by his behaviour when Dunk meets him. I didn't mention any emnity between him and Bloodraven. There should be a contrast between what we actually know about versus what others think of him based on their own prejudices (and an effective pr campaign run by Bittersteel).

10 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

No, the people involved will want to move on to something that isn't ASOIAF related. There's also the matter that people that finish a successful show and stick the landing will much more easily have their next project approved, and make more money doing so.

Besides, there's not that much noteworthy in Aegon III's reign, so it would be easier to move to a spin-off.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Content always plummets in quality when a spin-off is made. It's an entirely new project and most of the non-producers/directors/executive producers, will be completely different people. That equals hundreds of new jobs in set design/wardrobe/food services/stuntmen/extras, etc... This also means a separate budget and more money needed. The show does not need to be "Marvelized" so that there are multiple properties interwoven with each other to the point that "canon" is a very light term indeed as it has so many inconsistencies and errors because of the bloated staff size and increased amounts of miscommunication. I much prefer a slower-evolving and longer-running series where the group working on it is committed to the project, but hey, maybe I'm a dreamer.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Content always plummets in quality when a spin-off is made. It's an entirely new project and most of the non-producers/directors/executive producers, will be completely different people. That equals hundreds of new jobs in set design/wardrobe/food services/stuntmen/extras, etc... This also means a separate budget and more money needed. The show does not need to be "Marvelized" so that there are multiple properties interwoven with each other to the point that "canon" is a very light term indeed as it has so many inconsistencies and errors because of the bloated staff size and increased amounts of miscommunication. I much prefer a slower-evolving and longer-running series where the group working on it is committed to the project, but hey, maybe I'm a dreamer.

Like I said, it's not what professionals would want. Finish a series after a few years working on it, if it remains popular and acclaimed, then they can move on for the next project with a lot more prestige and money in their pockets.

I think House of the Dragon works well as an anthology series spanning decades and centuries. Think of a soap opera except that the cast changes every 3-4 seasons or so.

The reigns of Daeron I, Baelor I and Viserys II (and then Aegon IV) are all continuations of the Dance and the reign. Especially Aegon IV

On 10/18/2022 at 8:39 AM, Cashless Society said:

GRRM would agree with you too.

He says that D&E is not ready to be adapted. He's probably going to have to drop another D&E book before HBO takes on the project.

Archived