UK Politics: who's in charge today?

mormont

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I am incredibly sad and embarrassed and no longer feel any joy in what is happening. I could go to the nearest weatherspoons and find people more fit to run the country. 

At the rate they’re going through ministers, we might all get a shot. It’ll be like jury duty

Any chance of some sensible Tories forming a breakaway party or standing as independents to save their own skin? Or do they still hate Labour so much that they'd never hand them long-term power like that?

6 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Any chance of some sensible Tories forming a breakaway party or standing as independents to save their own skin? Or do they still hate Labour so much that they'd never hand them long-term power like that?

To be honest I'm not sure there is much hatred for the current Labour Party as it stands from the Tory MPs. For Corbyn and his coterie, yes, but the current Labour lot are probably closer to traditional Conservatism, enough so that I would not be surprised if a few Tory MPs, especially the Red Wallers, were not considering crossing the floor.

The exception would be the really hardcore group of ERGers and Braverman and Truss and the cabinet (and I suspect even Hunt is not that worked up about it).

40 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So one of the MPs who abstained the vote they were earlier claiming was a three-line whip and which may still have been seen that way by some of them was... the chief whip.

Truss abstained too!

Now I'm reading that the Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip, who were reported to have resigned, and about whom Rees-Mogg said on air he wasn't sure whether or not they had resigned, have in fact not resigned. I am unclear whether they never resigned, their resignation was not accepted or whether they withdrew their resignations.

Best guess is that they realised U-turns are hot right now.

Indeed, this is just embarrassing for the whole country.

But I suppose that what we have seen tonight is the logical conclusion of the recent total collapse of the convention that the government and MPs behave like "gentlemen".

The Tories made a manifesto commitment to do no fracking. Truss wants to reverse this, to widespread dismay in her own party, let alone the wider country. To stave off defeat in a Labour vote to ban fracking, she pulls out the nuclear option of declaring it a confidence vote, making her honour bound to resign if she loses it. (Except that everyone knew that she would never have the integrity to honour that.) But when it turns out that a lot of Tories are still defying her and are not going to support it anyway, she wavers, and a government minister declares at the last moment that it is no longer a confidence vote after all (probably). No wonder the whips were reputedly furious. Basically the government is transparently ignoring the unwritten rules whenever it can gain even a momentary advantage from doing so. "We are all Charles Walker" indeed - though I personally feel little sympathy for Tory MPs wondering how they are going to be paying their mortgages in a couple of years time.

2 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I retract my previous statement; y'all are way more fucked up than the US right now, grats

*points to the number of mass shootings in the US vs. UK*

"Scoreboard!!!" 

44 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Seems rather instant as well. 

Archived