UK Politics: who's in charge today?

mormont

When is the Parlimentary Standards Committee supposed to give its verdict?  it must be coming up right?  if they suspend him Boris 2nd PMship might last less than Trius?  well at least until the suspension.

and then we can do this all again.......     Its a bad never ending story.

Think big. Hope for a recall petition resulting in him being kicked out as an MP.

Then with any luck someone in a safe Tory seat (Mad Nad?) will agree to step down so he can get back in to the HoC in another byelection

... and then he loses that one too.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All politicians cash in on the back end. That's a baked in perk. But if you make the job so unappealing to the actual best candidates, you get what you get.

The idea that there are more capable candidates out there only waiting for the pay to rise is not supported by any actual evidence, at least none I've ever seen. 

Tory MPs need to cast their minds back to just a few months ago when this entire unprecedented political and constitutional shitshow was kicked off by: Boris Johnson's appallingly bad handling of a crisis entirely of his own making. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

The idea that there are more capable candidates out there only waiting for the pay to rise is not supported by any actual evidence, at least none I've ever seen. 

It’s just one example, but my grandfather was approached to run for Attorney General of my home state in the 1960’s. His response was basically “Why would I take a 95% pay cut to take a miserable job?” And to be clear, pay isn’t the only issue. The 24/7 campaigning is awful. The media scrutiny is even worse. And you’re largely accountable to people who don’t understand your job at all. These jobs are not appealing and we do are best to make them even crappier. Shocking that the results are our governments tend to suck.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And to be clear, pay isn’t the only issue.

My point exactly. 

I know lots of folks that went into politics. I know lots more, including myself, who could have but didn't. Pretty much none of the latter group cited money as the deterrent. Those that did cite it, are not people I would want to be running a dog walking service let alone a country. All respect to your grandfather, but earning a huge salary in another field is irrelevant to whether you'd be a good politician. If earning six times the median salary (plus a flat, country house, and all kinds of expenses) isn't enough cash for someone who wants to be PM, fuck that person. I don't want them in charge. 

10 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I have no idea who Penny Morduant is, but per her wiki page she seems to be a fan of homeopathy, which has immediately diluted any affinity I may have had for her.

Compared to what the other 2 are fans of its positively healthy. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

My point exactly. 

I know lots of folks that went into politics. I know lots more, including myself, who could have but didn't. Pretty much none of the latter group cited money as the deterrent. Those that did cite it, are not people I would want to be running a dog walking service let alone a country. All respect to your grandfather, but earning a huge salary in another field is irrelevant to whether you'd be a good politician. If earning six times the median salary (plus a flat, country house, and all kinds of expenses) isn't enough cash for someone who wants to be PM, fuck that person. I don't want them in charge. 

Yeah the "well" paid CEO caste is running our planet into the ground. Why any sane person would want such people in charge is beyond me. 

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ffs, she gets 10 grand a month for 50 days work. Now I know why they all want to be leader despite it being a poisoned chalice.

We should allow BJ to take over again just to prevent some other fucker getting their hands on the payout. 

Honestly, this is the best case I've heard yet.

They should draft Michael Heseltine. He always wanted to be PM and I'm sure he's been wanting to go beast mode on these fuckers for a while now. Also he's crazy old so any total pension moneys granted him as a former PM would be relatively small. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are the Tories so internally schismatic that a vote of confidence might fail?

I find it hard to really rule anything out at the point. If it was only a handful of defections that would be needed then I would think it was more likely. I saw one estimate that a dozen Tory MPs have suggested they might resign the whip if Boris was re-elected, but it would need three times that number to be in danger of losing a confidence vote.

Archived