UK Politics: who's in charge today?

mormont

Tory MPs are sheep who follow momentum in the hope of preferment. Mordaunt's only chance was if enough Johnson supporters turned to her in a "stop Sunak" campaign. She is not going to reach 100 MPs now*, and Sunak will walk into the job tomorrow. I imagine Mordaunt is probably already in negotiations with him for a cabinet position.

* As Johnson (as I imagine we all realise) clearly only had about 50 MPs despite his team's claims from as early as Saturday night that he already had 100 - which are in themselves inconsistent with his lie just now that his final tally was 102.

Mordaunt will be under intense pressure to drop out, and has a weak hand. Staying in and getting a few dozen nominations does nothing for her, in fact it hurts her. Even scraping in with 100 doesn't do much. Members are not likely to support her if Sunak is the overwhelming choice of MPs: she's not Johnson.

She has no realistic path to a win so I think she'll fold, and not for a high price.

11 minutes ago, A wilding said:

* As Johnson (as I imagine we all realise) clearly only had about 50 MPs despite his team's claims from as early as Saturday night that he already had 100 - which are in themselves inconsistent with his lie just now that his final tally was 102.

I did see that Boris' supporters were claiming a few hours ago that they just passed the 100 vote threshold, after they had previously claimed that yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m seeing a few Ukrainian tweeter who worry about Sunak’s support… is that something to worry about?

Nah, supporting Ukraine is still overwhelmingly popular with voters. The defence secretary will probably stay the same anyway, as it has through Johnson - Truss. 

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

Members are not likely to support her if Sunak is the overwhelming choice of MPs: she's not Johnson.

I was trying to find some data on how the membership felt about her, but couldn’t find anything. I initially figured ‘surely they’d prefer Sunak’ and then remembered they voted for Liz fucking Truss.

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m seeing a few Ukrainian tweeter who worry about Sunak’s support… is that something to worry about?

Johnson gave zero shits about Ukraine. It was (a) a useful distraction from his troubles at the time and bought him an extra couple of months, and 

(b) let him cosplay as Poundland Churchill without sending in troops

I wonder if part of Boris's problem was that because he was in the Caribbean at the beginning of the leadership contest there was a crucial delay where he wasn't able to lobby other MPs in person and Sunak was able to fill that void? If he was really serious about a comeback it's strange (although characteristically haphazard) that he couldn't be bothered to be ready for a leadership contest when it was clear one could be imminent.

6 hours ago, dog-days said:

Depressingly, yes, I think you're probably right. My nightmare's nightmare future is Boris winning the next GE. 

4 hours ago, mormont said:

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-pulls-out-of-conservative-leadership-race-12728576

I totally could have won and absolutely had all the nominations I needed, but obviously I won't now be telling you their names because of party unity, will this do.

I am exceptionally glad to have been wrong on this one lol. I'm a lot less worried about Sunak's capacity to draw back the pissed off voters as he doesn't have that mysterious, invisible to me charisma that Boris apparently has.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Lol, her hand on Zahawi as if to say ‘you look like a right muppet now mate!.. again!’

Johnson’s surely done. He’s fucked over what supporters he had, made them look complete idiots. If he announces another bid, no one (except maybe Wankpish and Pigshit) will publicly endorse him in case he pulls out again.

Zahawi being mocked for supporting both Johnson and Sunak within 30 mins.

Duddridge has been flying the Johnson flag all weekend. His reaction to his withdrawl:

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Johnson’s surely done. He’s fucked over what supporters he had, made them look complete idiots. If he announces another bid, no one (except maybe Wankpish and Pigshit) will publicly endorse him in case he pulls out again.

Zahawi being mocked for supporting both Johnson and Sunak within 30 mins.

Duddridge has been flying the Johnson flag all weekend. His reaction to his withdrawl:

It's all been yet another ego trip for Johnson. See how many people love him while he's away on holiday, then pull out last minute when he's got enough people sucking on his teat, because the last thing he actually wants to do is be PM again, it's all too much hard work.

I’m sticking with the Simpsons quotes

The Corvair spacecraft has apparently been taken over, 'conquered' if you will, by a master race of giant space ants. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive Earthmen or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

-Nadhim Zahawi, probably

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

What is good about the UK is that we are about to have our first Asian PM, after having 2 female PMs since 2016.. and nobody even notices.

I've seen it said that the measure of equality is not when an exceptional member of a given minority group can achieve the same success as someone from the majority, but when an incompetent or mediocre member can rise as high as their equivalent. So the UK is looking quite improved on that score. At least for gender.

Archived