UK Politics: who's in charge today?

mormont

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

What is good about the UK is that we are about to have our first Asian PM, after having 2 female PMs since 2016.. and nobody even notices.

Oh my inlaws noticed, they where around for diner last night.  And now are in a real bind at who to vote for in the general.    They will never vote labour  - "we remember Callaghan and er Corbyn" shudder.  And they can't vote for anyone not British enough (white)  I will not repeat what they called him.  They will also not vote UKIP or whatever party Nigel's is called then because "they are not racist"

They where hoping Boris got back in.

To be fair to them though, they did not have problems with female PM's or Politicians.

Find it very dificult to use Sunak possibly being PM after being voted by conservative party members ( if it happens), as a measure of equality, especially when things like this are generally used by people to say 'look, we can't live in a systemically racist society now that a brown dude is occupying the highest office'.

If anything good comes of this shitshow, perhaps it will be some recognition of the fact that the people who gave us Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng and his economy-crashing, hedge fund-enriching, mini-budget, are the very same people that foisted Johnson's Hard Brexit upon us.

Maybe then we'll actually be allowed to start talking about it, and how we might be able to start putting things right.

Oh, what's this now....?

Tory backer says UK economy is ‘frankly doomed’ without Brexit renegotiation

The founder and chair of the private equity firm Terra Firma, a longtime Tory supporter, called for the government to “renegotiate Brexit”, stating that otherwise the British economy was “frankly doomed”.

The Conservative party needed to “move on from fighting its own internal wars and actually focus on what needs to be done in the economy”, Hands told Radio 4’s Today programme on Monday.

He said the party needed to start “admitting some of the mistakes they have made over the last six years, which have frankly put this country on a path to be the sick man of Europe”.

Hands said the prime minister, Liz Truss, had attempted to follow the “dream” of Brexit and a “low-tax, low-benefit economy” but added that this “clearly isn’t something which is acceptable to the British people”.

He said: “Once you accept that you can’t actually do that, the Brexit that was done is completely hopeless and will only drive Britain into a disastrous economic state.”

8 minutes ago, Raja said:

Find it very dificult to use Sunak possibly being PM after being voted by conservative party members ( if it happens), as a measure of equality, especially when things like this are generally used by people to say 'look, we can't live in a systemically racist society now that a brown dude is occupying the highest office'.

Why do you think they are desperately trying to get Mordaunt to pull out so it doesn't go to a vote by the Blue Rinse Brigade?

13 minutes ago, Raja said:

The fact it happens and is entirely uninteresting to most people is just another in a long list of reasons why we don't live in a systemically racist society. 

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The fact it happens and is entirely uninteresting to most people is just another in a long list of reasons why we don't live in a systemically racist society. 

Noticing who the PM is is not a great example of a system though. Still lacking in the actual electoral system, the proportion of ethnic minority MPs versus proportion of ethnic minorities in the population.

If I was anyone connected with the Tory party, I would be very, very careful about uttering the words "Brexit" and "Treason", whilst calling for people to be prosecuted.

This Conservative Brexiteer wants British people with "EU loyalty" to be tried for treason

A senior Conservative MEP has called for British people with "extreme loyalty to the EU" to be prosecuted under the Treason Act.

3 minutes ago, john said:

Noticing who the PM is is not a great example of a system though. Still lacking in the actual electoral system, the proportion of ethnic minority MPs versus proportion of ethnic minorities in the population.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1123206/non-white-mps-in-uk-parliament-by-political-party/

In 2019 of 650 MPs, 65 were non white. Thats 10%. The non white population of the UK is about 15%.

I'm not sure how many MPs there are now in 2022 but the trend is massively shooting up over time and there isn't really a big disparity for the percentage of population. That isn't a sign of 'a systemically racist society'

51 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’m not sure how many MPs there are now in 2022 but the trend is massively shooting up over time and there isn't really a big disparity for the percentage of population. That isn't a sign of 'a systemically racist society'

If there’s been an improvement there must be a problem to improve on, right? You could say it’s not a very systemically racist society, I suppose. But you’re linking to figures demonstrating exactly my point.

Archived