UK Politics: who's in charge today?

mormont

Technically she’ll still be PM on Sunday when the finale airs, but she has submitted her resignation, so…

I’ve heard that Jodie Whittaker may have seen (or almost) as many PM’s as the longest reigning Doctor, Tom Baker.

Apologize for my ignorance, but why is it such a given that any PM will fail at this point?  I understand why it is so hard to do anything, but why couldn't Hunt or someone else just take the reins and do nothing much for ~18 months?  I would have to think that the Tories electoral prospects would improve with that approach (they'll still get crushed, but improving to polling in the high 20s seems entirely achievable). 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Apologize for my ignorance, but why is it such a given that any PM will fail at this point?  I understand why it is so hard to do anything, but why couldn't Hunt or someone else just take the reins and do nothing much for ~18 months?  I would have to think that the Tories electoral prospects would improve with that approach (they'll still get crushed, but improving to polling in the high 20s seems entirely achievable). 

because things have got so bad we actually need them to do something.

too many people can't afford to heating or food.  its not even a choice between the two when you can't afford either.   and its getting worse.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Could this whole rigamaroll have been a way to get Johnson back into office?

It's easy to suspect it's all a conspiracy, but that only makes sense if you discount the extraordinary levels of incompetence that got us to this position. Plus Johnson can barely think past breakfast, planning this stuff is utterly beyond him.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Could this whole rigamaroll have been a way to get Johnson back into office?

I don't think they planned this.  there is a good chance Boris is chosen.  although that would be a massive mistake.  however I also can't see anyone they could choose that would be a good option for them.

Can't see Boris having planned this, and the rest seem so beyond basic competency I'm amazed they get up and get dressed regularly.

That said, of course Boris believes he's the answer. He always does, and he is nowhere near self aware enough to realize there are times he's simply Not Wanted.

I keep hearing that Hunt will still be giving his budget on Halloween.  but would not that now be invalid as he needs to wait till whoever takes over to see what they want / if he remains as chancellor?  will not anything in his Budget be immediately out of date with the new PM's policies?

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's easy to suspect it's all a conspiracy, but that only makes sense if you discount the extraordinary levels of incompetence that got us to this position. Plus Johnson can barely think past breakfast, planning this stuff is utterly beyond him.

Agreed. To think this is some grand conspiracy is giving way too much credit to a group of abject idiots. 

A pity Piggy Dave is no longer a MP. It started with him, it should end with him.

Johnson is to some degree the only Tory who can claim to have a mandate to be PM, and thus wouldn't need to call an early GE. Not that any Tory would feel honour bound to call one anyway.

22 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Nah, they were leaving of their own accord; this is just (the start of) Hunt's reshuffle.

ETA

I’m getting caught up in the thread and all the predictions of “gone by Christmas” are looking hilarious right now!

54 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The probably is that seems clear that one can serve the interest of the Tory donors, the interests of the people, but not both, and whoever they choose not to serve will kick the PM out (Truss chose to serve the donors).

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Technically she’ll still be PM on Sunday when the finale airs, but she has submitted her resignation, so…

I’ve heard that Jodie Whittaker may have seen (or almost) as many PM’s as the longest reigning Doctor, Tom Baker.

Interesting stat. John Major was Prime Minister from 1990 to 1997, and the show ended in 1989 and restarted in 2005, but the one-off American TV movie did air in 1996 so that probably keeps his record safe.

Jodie Whittaker is, despite the low number of episodes to air during her tenure, the second-longest serving Doctor in terms of duration, so that's actually not bad going.

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m getting caught up in the thread and all the predictions of “gone by Christmas” are looking hilarious right now!

We meant her *replacement* woukd be gone by Christmas :P

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Jodie Whittaker is, despite the low number of episodes to air during her tenure, the second-longest serving Doctor in terms of duration, so that's actually not bad going.

Has she really overtaken Tennant? 

Archived