Ukraine 22: Anyone else holding their breath?

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm seeing some speculation that a lot of actual experienced Wagner troops have been rotated off the lines and, in some cases, sent home to Russia, whilst the prison-recruited conscripts were used on the front instead. It might be a ploy for Wagner to keep its strength up for use at home if things start blowing up on the home front.

Whatever is the case, their reputation as the "competent" part of the Russian military won't survive this, and neither will most of their troops.

Ukrainian veterans of the 93rd Mechanized Brigade who are fighting in Bakhmut, their most elite and experienced unit, have stated that they haven't seen that many enemy corpses on any front line they fought at since 2014.

8,000 troops from the American 101st Airborne are currently deployed 3 miles from the Ukraine-Romanian border. I think they've been there a few weeks, but an stiffer move from the US to show teeth in the region.

Meanwhile progressive dems decide to shoot themselves in the dick and pressure Biden and the admin to push for peace faster. Which is also what Republicans want, so that's nice. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

8,000 troops from the American 101st Airborne are currently deployed 3 miles from the Ukraine-Romanian border. I think they've been there a few weeks, but an stiffer move from the US to show teeth in the region.

Werthead -- yes; phenomenal unit, deployed with them twice; and, facilitated the deployment of two other units by way of MK Airbase, Romania. Worked with the USMC as well as the USAF while there, and I coudn't emphasize more just how lethal those units are when comined.

It's time to wind this war down and settle the new borders.

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Meanwhile progressive dems decide to shoot themselves in the dick and pressure Biden and the admin to push for peace faster. Which is also what Republicans want, so that's nice. 

Russia can have peace, whenever it wants. All it has to do is to cease occupying Ukrainian territory.

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I can imagine that conversation.

BIDEN: "You going to pull out of Ukraine, like I just did your mother?"

PUTIN: "No. You going to stop sending Ukraine guns?"

BIDEN: "No."

PUTING. "Okay then." <awkward pause> "You see the game last night?"

3 hours ago, kiko said:

What?

"Might is Right"

It's an absolutely terrible philosophy and absolutely will degrade society.

Elsewhere, this is what happens when Russians smoke in a coal mine...

Also these:

In Bakhmut we "know" that Russia successfully advanced about 200m about a week ago, and then successfully advanced back to their previous position, apparently leaving a LOT of Wagner bodies behind. It being a trap may well be optimistic spin.

This is...something.

The self-described Siberian “Shaman-Warrior” Sasha Gabyshev claims he’s spent a lifetime struggling against a demonic entity that haunts the Russian president, the fabled Russian villain Koschei Bessmertny—also known as The Immortal and The Walking Skeleton. In the autumn of 2019, the Shaman-Warrior of Yakutia his followers set off on a two-year, 5,000-mile march to Moscow, where Gabyshev vowed to use his magic sword to slay the beast beneath the Kremlin and exorcise its terror from Putin’s soul.

Picking up supporters and news conferences along the way, Gabyshev’s soothsayers were at first attacked by a coven of pro-Putin shamans in the city of Ulan-Ude. Battling on, the sorcerer and his apprentices made it as far as Lake Baikal, where their arrest was televised. Gabyshev was carted off to a mental hospital.

“Putin is scared,” was now jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s response to the mystical melee that put Gabyshev behind bars. “Putin is already stomping his feet and shouting, ‘God save me from this shaman. What if he really does banish me?’”

Moroz says Navalny’s question remains valid. “I’m sure Putin was terrified,” Moroz says. “He staged a major police operation against Gabyshev. The shaman had nothing against Putin. His goal was to remove the demon from beneath the Kremlin and free Putin’s stolen soul. It’s a powerful and accurate metaphor that resonates with all Russians.”

Those who jobwise Putin for Western intelligence agencies are hardly a bunch of humorless stiffs. “But when we stopped laughing,” says one, “we concluded that Putin’s fear of Gabyshev was palpable.”

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

This shaman is probably the best opposition party concept I’ve seen, and I would like to see more of it in the West.  Your opponent isn’t “bad”, they’re just “controlled by the spirit of Koschei The Immortal”.  You’ve got a magic sword and you’re trying to help them.

I legitimately think this might be 90% of the plot of the big final arc of the Sword of Truth books.  If Putin forces this dude to play on a national soccer team and their government dissolves as a result, we are living in a simulation.

ETA:  …the worst simulation.

12 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

This shaman is probably the best opposition party concept I’ve seen, and I would like to see more of it in the West.  Your opponent isn’t “bad”, they’re just “controlled by the spirit of Koschei The Immortal”.  You’ve got a magic sword and you’re trying to help them.

I legitimately think this might be 90% of the plot of the big final arc of the Sword of Truth books.  If Putin forces this dude to play on a national soccer team and their government dissolves as a result, we are living in a simulation.

ETA:  …the worst simulation.

Makes about as much sense as any other religion.

Archived