Ukraine 22: Anyone else holding their breath?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Internal divisions in Iran over the supply of drones and missiles to Russia. Also the disconcerting allegation that the Iranian military sent drones and ballistic missile systems to Russia without the approval of the government.

This article is one of several that has suggested that Russia was at least semi-seriously considering the use of tactical nukes in Ukraine before the United States and several other countries privately contacted Russia and explicitly spelled out that would mean escalating the conflict to or beyond the threshold of direct military intervention by NATO. Russia has since de-escalated its rhetoric, Putin himself recently saying that it is not on the cards. Of course, the recent public criticism of the nuclear threats by China may have also played a role.

49 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Internal divisions in Iran over the supply of drones and missiles to Russia. Also the disconcerting allegation that the Iranian military sent drones and ballistic missile systems to Russia without the approval of the government.

This article is one of several that has suggested that Russia was at least semi-seriously considering the use of tactical nukes in Ukraine before the United States and several other countries privately contacted Russia and explicitly spelled out that would mean escalating the conflict to or beyond the threshold of direct military intervention by NATO. Russia has since de-escalated its rhetoric, Putin himself recently saying that it is not on the cards. Of course, the recent public criticism of the nuclear threats by China may have also played a role.

MAD wins again! 

Escalate to deescalate! Works every time.

Y'know, until one of these times when it doesn't. But that's an exciting problem for excited futures. 

Good thing we're churning out generations of thoughtful, literate, and attention-span-possessing future leaders. :)

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

With the arrival of NASAMS from the States onto Ukrainian soil, here is a good article from the New Yorker about how the relationship between Kiyv and Washington has gradually improved as the trust has grown.

Inside the U.S. Effort to Arm Ukraine | The New Yorker

Odd, Ukraine has no reason not to trust U.S.A.

They have lithium :)

Ongoing retreat of Russian troops from Kherson, seemingly from the entire front. They left dummies in uniform on the line to slow down the Ukrainians, and are blowing up bridges.

Also, Kirill Stremousov, deputy head of Russian Kherson administration and their most visible media presence there, was officially reported to have died today in a "car accident". I assume he fell out of the car window.

29 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Also, Kirill Stremousov, deputy head of Russian Kherson administration and their most visible media presence there, was officially reported to have died today in a "car accident". I assume he fell out of the car window.

He said that Kherson would never return to Ukraine in his lifetime. I guess he was right in a roundabout sort of way. 

50 minutes ago, Gorn said:

He knew where the bodies were buried for the Russians, so he had to go.

Unfortunately, in this case I'm using that expression literally. 

Archived