Will Jon Connington Burn Down King's Landing?

Craving Peaches

Here is what we know about Jon Connington so far (among other things):

1. He is deeply haunted by the sound of bells tolling.

2. He regrets not massacring an entire town to kill one person, Robert.

3. He has sworn to 'end the usurper's line for good and all'.

To be honest I think anyone could end up accidentally blowing King's Landing up, with all the Wildfire about all it takes is one little accident and everything will go up in flames. However taking into account the above, Jon Con seems a bit more likely than most.

4 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Here is what we know about Jon Connington so far (among other things):

1. He is deeply haunted by the sound of bells tolling.

2. He regrets not massacring an entire town to kill one person, Robert.

3. He has sworn to 'end the usurper's line for good and all'.

To be honest I think anyone could end up accidentally blowing King's Landing up, with all the Wildfire about all it takes is one little accident and everything will go up in flames. However taking into account the above, Jon Con seems a bit more likely than most.

He’s also living on borrowed time due to the greyscale.

I feel like if Aegon is revealed to be an imposter, or if he dies, then Jon Con will go berserk and try to kill as many people as he can.

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

He’s also living on borrowed time due to the greyscale.

I feel like if Aegon is revealed to be an imposter, or if he dies, then Jon Con will go berserk and try to kill as many people as he can.

The second case seem more likely to me. 

I think that Aegon's parentage will remain a mystery with Varys and Illyrio being the only ones to know and taking the secret with them to the grave, and that the loss of Aegon, whom Jon loves as his own son and sees as his hope and only chance to make it up to Rhaegar, could send him over the edge. 

Though it's likely that Daenerys and her dragons will be blamed for the wildfire burning King's Landing, cementing westerosi's hatred and rejection of her.

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

Arya's hate for the Lannisters will drive her to do something like this.  

Please, elaborate. I mean, I’m super interested in learning more about how Arya will blow up KL. Sounds fascinating. /s

Yeah, I think Dany will burn Kings Landing, by accident, with Drogon.  She doesn't know about her father's stores of wildfire.

I don't think JonCon is going to survive his melancholy and guilt. If he ends up being patient-x for a grayscale plague, or infecting his adopted son.....he'll take his life.

There's so many possibilities here.....it's also entirely possible that Dany will be forced to burn Kings Landing to stop a massive Grayscale plague.  She might find out about the wildfire in advance and end up having to use it for that purpose.  Lots of possibilities.

No, Dany will be the one who burns down KL, im 100% sure of that and everyone else does too unless you delude yourself on purpose.

It's very very obvious what path shes going down, and it aint pretty that's for sure.

Shes progressively become more and more unhinged throughout the series and now shes a down right psychopath whos ok with torturing children and killing innocent elderly folk. 

She is bat-shit crazy, a lunatic, a nutter and utterly delusional. But you know what? That is what i LOVE about her! Her turning in to The Mad Queen has been one of the things ive looked forward too most in this whole series and im very happy now that everything points towards that! :D

Mad Queen Dany will burn that city and people to the ground! :devil:

The show isn't really a good guide. They obviously mixed and matched isolated plot points out of context and let's face it they probably mined the fandom in the process with the only scope of keeping the hype running. Connington's set up is a much better fit for the destruction of King's Landing based on the points that Op has laid out. 

40 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

The show isn't really a good guide. They obviously mixed and matched isolated plot points out of context and let's face it they probably mined the fandom in the process with the only scope of keeping the hype running. Connington's set up is a much better fit for the destruction of King's Landing based on the points that Op has laid out. 

Im not sure you are answering me or some other but im not using the show as a guide to anything, i absolutely hate that abomination. :)

I base it off from the books and its quite clear shes going down the tyranny road. And as we've read many many times in the books, Arys was planning to burn the city down only for Jamie to stop him.

Thats a major forshadowing to the Mad Queen finishing what her equally mad father couldnt. 

Superinteresting character Dany, we've been following her from this frightened little girl to this supermonster she is about to become. One of the hightlights of the book for me :drool:

12 minutes ago, Hoffa said:

Im not sure you are answering me or some other but im not using the show as a guide to anything, i absolutely hate that abomination. :)

I base it off from the books and its quite clear shes going down the tyranny road. And as we've read many many times in the books, Arys was planning to burn the city down only for Jamie to stop him.

Thats a major forshadowing to the Mad Queen finishing what her equally mad father couldnt. 

Superinteresting character Dany, we've been following her from this frightened little girl to this supermonster she is about to become. One of the hightlights of the book for me :drool:

I wasn't answering particularly your post in particular, but the set up in the books about the destruction of King's Landing in the books revolves around the wildfire cache that Jaime neglected to tell anyone about. Since no one has the full picture, the greatest probability is that it will go off accidentally. 

In terms of characters, the one who is preoccupied with bells is Connington who coincidentally is itching to burn towns.

There is zero set up for Dany.

16 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

I wasn't answering particularly your post in particular, but the set up in the books about the destruction of King's Landing in the books revolves around the wildfire cache that Jaime neglected to tell anyone about. Since no one has the full picture, the greatest probability is that it will go off accidentally. 

In terms of characters, the one who is preoccupied with bells is Connington who coincidentally is itching to burn towns.

There is zero set up for Dany.

Im not up on all the JonCon theories but why would he burn the city down? At the top of my head, the only reason i can come up with without deeper thinking is that since he is patient zero and the disease start spreading he will burn the city down to stop an outbreak? Or am i missing something? 

It might be accidental as you suggest, but i doubt it and it would be pretty anticlimactic. 

Any theories as to who accidentally would start it?

5 minutes ago, Hoffa said:

Im not up on all the JonCon theories but why would he burn the city down? At the top of my head, the only reason i can come up with without deeper thinking is that since he is patient zero and the disease start spreading he will burn the city down to stop an outbreak? Or am i missing something? 

It might be accidental as you suggest, but i doubt it and it would be pretty anticlimactic. 

Any theories as to who accidentally would start it?

Connington regrets not burning the Stony Sept down in order to kill Robert, instead of going door to door to find. He wants to be more like Tywin. 

That is a solid set up for him causing mass destruction. During that battle the town's bells rung, which he is haunted by. 

As for the wildfire cache, any battle will do. 

7 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

Connington regrets not burning the Stony Sept down in order to kill Robert, instead of going door to door to find. He wants to be more like Tywin. 

That is a solid set up for him causing mass destruction. During that battle the town's bells rung, which he is haunted by. 

As for the wildfire cache, any battle will do. 

Oh right, i remember him and others go on about that quite a lot and its not a bad theory. 

I still think it'll be Dany, thats way more climatic and her craziness has been building up since book one. She must do something horrible.

Anyhow, i hope we both get to read and see for ourselves if the books comes out :)

Thanks for the chat

Interesting idea and I like the points you make in favour of his doing so. I don't think it would be an after the fact vengeance/ rage/ despair thing though, I think that if he does it, it will be because he thinks it will save Aegon and sees the parallels to Stoney Sept himself and decides not to make the same mistake twice.  

Varys probably knows about the wildfire. It's not out of the question that he lied to Tyrion when he told him that he wasn't using a torch on the fourth level of the cells beneath the red keep because of the horrors that Tyrion would witness and the place was actually packed with jars. These two in cahoots could be a dangerous and volatile combination.

THat or Cersei will do it out of spite or Danny will do it out of whatever reason the guys on tv came up with... It wasn't clear to me.

24 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

THat or Cersei will do it out of spite or Danny will do it out of whatever reason the guys on tv came up with... It wasn't clear to me.

I think they are both likely options as well. However if the books are going to incorporate some sort of bells aspect into the incident, I feel like JC has a good chance.

Really though anyone could set it off. Some unlucky acolyte could set it off. It could even go off randomly in a POV and we'd have no idea who'd done it (unlikely though). Cersei could be gloating to herself about how she was going to win her trial by combat and then boom!

Jon Connington is not that kind of man. He refused to burn the town long ago.  If he had then much tragedy could have been avoided. Robert and his rebellion would have failed and the kingdom would be ruled by its rightful monarchs.  The only person with a grudge big enough to destroy a whole city is Arya Stark.  I can see Arya setting off the wildfire to kill as many enemies as she can. 

Just now, Quoth the raven, said:

Jon Connington is not that kind of man. He refused to burn the town long ago.

He regrets not doing that though.

If he had then much tragedy could have been avoided.

Hardly, given a cruel and tyrannical monarch would still have free reign to go around burning people and doing whatever he saw fit. Not to mention the tragedy of everyone in the town being massacred.

Robert and his rebellion would have failed and the kingdom would be ruled by its rightful monarchs.

You mean Aerys? I pity the Seven Kingdoms of this dreadful alternate universe.

The only person with a grudge big enough to destroy a whole city is Arya Stark.  I can see Arya setting off the wildfire to kill as many enemies as she can. 

This is quite frankly ridiculous. Arya has a very specific list of people she wants to kill. She wants to kill them personally. At no point would she ever considered something remotely like setting off the wildfire because:

1. She has so far shown no inclination to murder innocents in pursuit of her goal of killing someone she considers to be guilty.

2. She wants to kill her targets herself, which would not be possible through doing something like setting off wildfire.

Archived