Which Character would Benefit the most from Psychoanalysis?

Craving Peaches

7 hours ago, Ring3r said:

They manifest their behaviors young enough that trauma is unlikely to be the cause.  If you're gutting your pet cat at age 8 to see how its body works....yeah....prolly a psychopath

This is more common sense than a diagnostic criteria (although it's a pattern present in a number of people), but there are three things in child behaviour that could indicate they are heading toward that, the first is animal cruelty, as seen in Joffrey with the cat episode, pyromania, and bed wetting at a not that young age. Each of these is a red flag on its own, but the three together are its own red flag. Unfortunately we don't have info on the other ones but Joffrey and Ramsay both exhibit very classic traits, the only thing stopping Joffrey from a diagnosis would be his age (you must be at least 18 to get it, it's one of the criteria [so yeah if someone says they've been diagnosed at any age below they deadass lying]).

I don't know if I'd put Cersei up for the same diagnosis, for her I'd be leaning more toward narcissistic personality disorder or a borderline personality disorder. ASPD comes with very marked lacks or changes in empathy and the processing of feeling and emotion, and I don't think she lacks empathy, per se, not in a clinical sense, at least

10 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Bran, Arya, Theon, Melisandre, Aeron

What's the difference?

10 hours ago, cytherea said:

There isn't one! It's the same thing under diagnosis. They're both regarded as ASPD.

Not a psychiatrist here but there are channels in yt where the content is all about narcissists, psychopaths, and sociopaths.  If I am remembering the explanations faithfully, a sociopath is always a psychopath. But not all psychopaths are sociopaths. 

8 hours ago, cytherea said:

This is more common sense than a diagnostic criteria (although it's a pattern present in a number of people), but there are three things in child behaviour that could indicate they are heading toward that, the first is animal cruelty, as seen in Joffrey with the cat episode, pyromania, and bed wetting at a not that young age. Each of these is a red flag on its own, but the three together are its own red flag. Unfortunately we don't have info on the other ones but Joffrey and Ramsay both exhibit very classic traits, the only thing stopping Joffrey from a diagnosis would be his age (you must be at least 18 to get it, it's one of the criteria [so yeah if someone says they've been diagnosed at any age below they deadass lying]).

I don't know if I'd put Cersei up for the same diagnosis, for her I'd be leaning more toward narcissistic personality disorder or a borderline personality disorder. ASPD comes with very marked lacks or changes in empathy and the processing of feeling and emotion, and I don't think she lacks empathy, per se, not in a clinical sense, at least

Yeah she's definitely clinically narcisistic for sure...though that can often be comorbid with another personality issue...she doesn't seem to have much real empathy to me though....tossing her friends into a torture dungeon on a whim, always assuming the worst about everyone (projecting herself basically)....she's a real piece of work.  Maybe not fully psychopathic but she's at least got something going on and it seems she passed it down to Joff.

8 hours ago, Kierria said:

Not a psychiatrist here but there are channels in yt where the content is all about narcissists, psychopaths, and sociopaths.  If I am remembering the explanations faithfully, a sociopath is always a psychopath. But not all psychopaths are sociopaths. 

Other way around but yeah, pretty much.  A psychopath doesn't possess the ability to consider any viewpoint or feelings other than their own (so it doesn't occur to Joff, for example, that his pet cat really doesn't want him to cut it open to look at the kittens), while a sociopath displays much the same behavior but because they were raised in an environment where they had to do that to survive/avoid abuse.

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

Too bad they only have natural medicines like herbs.  Most of us live in the 1st world where almost half of the adults are on some kind of anti-depressant.   

I dunno, that doesn't really seem to be working out too well for us....

Arya Stark is the only one among the main characters to exhibit mental instability.  Analysis is not needed.  Treatment would constitute putting her in the care of the Maesters and that can make her condition worse.  Therapy with the Maesters will not improve Arya's condition.  Her fans are mistaken if they believe she will stop killing after the end of her list.  Arya will go to the wall and kill the men who are defending the kingdom from the white walkers and further the cause of darkness.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:03 AM, cytherea said:

There isn't one! It's the same thing under diagnosis. They're both regarded as ASPD.

Fascinating discussion.  As a layman my idea of a psycopath is basically framed by Alfred Hitchcock / Norman Bates so I connect it with the willingness to inflict extreme violence without having any normal emotional or moral restraints (psycopaths are serial killers in other words).  Whereas sociopaths lack the normal emotional or moral restraints but have no particular interest in inflicting violence personally, just a total ruthlessness in achieving their goals and indifference to any suffering caused.  So Ramsay and Biter are psycopaths, Roose and LF sociopaths.

Seems I was wrong but it worked for me :)

On 10/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

We can point directly to what caused the Hound's mental issues.  His abusive brother.   

So a psychopath created a sociopath?

All the damaged and abandoned Stark children need some love and care (Sansa, Bran, Rickon) but only Arya really needs therapy.  Theon has a fractured personality and has suffered appalling abuse and Tyrion has been rejected and betrayed by all his family so that's my three.

Archived