UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

So it's Rishi Sunak, then. I fear he'll easily outlast a lettuce, we probably need to refer to the shelf life of a potato now.

Disappointing that it took many wasted months and the crashing of our entire economy because of the dysfunction of the Tory party to get to the most boring result. Next time I suggest something like a national poll of all eligible voters instead.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

So it's Rishi Sunak, then. I fear he'll easily outlast a lettuce, we probably need to refer to the shelf life of a potato now.

We’ll see how it goes, he’s inherited a pretty divided party and chaos could still ensue but he will calm the markets and probably just do a bunch of boring sensible things which might mean the chances of a general election soon will fall away 

8 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It was mentioned on Today this morning and unless I missed something, is still true: Sunak didn’t make a single public statement from Truss resigning to being confirmed as PM. Has that ever happened, an entirely silent campaign?

He did a couple of tweets

43 minutes ago, mormont said:

Disappointing that it took many wasted months and the crashing of our entire economy because of the dysfunction of the Tory party to get to the most boring result. Next time I suggest something like a national poll of all eligible voters instead.

I would suggest a hallowed out carved pumpkin.  Maybe left in the garden for the wildlife to enjoy will be a more fitting vegetable er fruit to use for comparison.  especially given the season.  I may just have to buy a Pumpkin for this very purpose.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/24/rishi-sunak-will-face-ungovernable-tory-party-warns-johnson-supporter

I hope so.

Go against a couple of 3-line whip votes (or just resign the whip on principal); get themselves deselected, and either force a GE directly, or go along with a vote of no confidence, and force a GE.
Then the likes of JRM, Francois, Redwood and Robertson can join whatever's left of UKIP - where they actually belong; and never be seen in Westminster again (or at least, not until we have PR - which would be a win in itself).

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

We’ll see how it goes, he’s inherited a pretty divided party and chaos could still ensue but he will calm the markets and probably just do a bunch of boring sensible things which might mean the chances of a general election soon will fall away 

Make no mistake. As well as being competent, Sunak is a billionaire banker citizen of nowhere who is on the economic far right. He will spend the next 2 years not only carrying out as much of his agenda as possible, but also ensuring that it cannot be reversed later. I fear just how much permanent change he may impose on us before the next election.

23 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Well I doubt Sunak is going to be a notably good PM but he probably isn’t going to do anything immensely stupid and tank the economy.

I'm not going to take that bet.

Let's remember that Sunak still thinks cryptocurrency and freeports are great.

28 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Make no mistake. As well as being competent, Sunak is a billionaire banker citizen of nowhere who is on the economic far right. He will spend the next 2 years not only carrying out as much of his agenda as possible, but also ensuring that it cannot be reversed later. I fear just how much permanent change he may impose on us before the next election.

What's your definition of 'economic far right'?

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

Does Bob Seely understand that not all brown people are Muslim?

Yeah saw that earlier and it made me laugh. If he uses it fairly regularly in his daily life, it makes sense as he's spent a decent amount of time in Iraq, Afghanisthan & Libya during his military career, so it's possible he's picked it up from there ( there's essentially a common joke in a lot of the middle east that when people say 'inshAllah', it's something that probably will never get done)

However, if he's essentially just used it this one time in this interview then it is very weird.

Archived