UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

Well Sunak has probably realised if he wants to survive then he needs to unite the party as much as he can. Higher immigration is not ever going to be a popular policy and contradicts their manifesto. Braverman is like Priti Patels louder and less intelligent little sister, so her being anywhere near government is utterly painful, but you can see how it could be a signal that he's not just going to follow through with too many of Truss' mad plans.

Yeah. As you were, people. We're still in the clownshoes phase of this government. Sunak's got nothing. Recycling the same old faces, each of whom is just as far out of their depth as they've always been.

Pretending we haven’t made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can’t see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign.

-Suella Braverman, 6 days ago.

The problem is, when Sunak promised 'integrity at all levels' he hadn't taken into account that it's simply impossible to find half a dozen Tory MPs who have any integrity left.

Braverman. Jenrick. Gove. Williamson. Zahawi. Raab. Barclay. Shapps. Donelan. Badenoch.

I make it about a dozen previous sackings between that lot, all thoroughly merited. I can't name a notable success from even one of them.

This is your government, folks, a recycled set of failures.

23 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yes, he has taken the oath of office for MP on the Gita, so his faith may be something important to him. I know the fact that he was chosen as PM on the eve of Diwali had some special significance for Hindus both in the UK and back in India.

I wish Varadkar were still Tao...err.. PM of Ireland, that would be so hilarious to me. It would almost be like playing a game of Civilization, where the Indian empire was slowly taking over the world (I mean, lets not forget Harris in the US also has South Indian heritage).

22 hours ago, williamjm said:

We'll see whether Sunak will differ from his two predecessors and appoint some cabinet members who aren't already allies of his.

Apparently Varadkar is schedules to become Taoiseach again in a few months as part of some job sharing scheme they have in their coalition.

yes, Leo Varadkar is due to become Taoiseach in December. Both parties got more or less the same (we have PR STV - proportional representation, single transferable vote), so the coalition will swop major ministries, including minister for finance in December. Their deal was based on ‘parity of esteem’.

From the western isle, the last few months have been, …. Something. Entertainment, education, a salutary lesson, not entirely sure. Riveting watching though.

I just watched Sunak's first PMQ (maybe snippets of it). It was.....quite an experience. I mean the atmosphere in general, but at first glance I didnt see Sunak do terribly. He seemed to have good presence and could think on his feet.

But at the same time, its all very performative. All the real work and things of consequence are decided in closed chambers. (Also note I didnt see how Truss did at PMQ)

21 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I just watched Sunak's first PMQ (maybe snippets of it). It was.....quite an experience. I mean the atmosphere in general, but at first glance I didnt see Sunak do terribly. He seemed to have good presence and could think on his feet.

But at the same time, its all very performative. All the real work and things of consequence are decided in closed chambers. (Also note I didnt see how Truss did at PMQ)

I only saw clips too but from what I saw, Sunak is trying his damnest to not come across as the boring technocrat he mostly likely really is, he's trying to inject some energy that he doesn't really have. It's PMQs so nothing being said actually means anything is all entirely performative. I'm sure he will be perfectly adequate. 

Archived