UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

But let's all at least acknowledge what is going on. 

Come on.

Labour are not focusing on Braverman because of differences of opinion on immigration policy. They probably do have a difference of opinion on policy but that true of most of the cabinet. They're focusing on Braverman because Sunak's trying to build his appeal to the electorate around an appearance of competence and Braverman's clearly an incompetent idiot who was sacked a few days ago. It's a very convenient stick to beat him with and, since for some reason Braverman seems to have a lot of pull with large elements of the Tory party, is also a good way to drive a big wedge into their facade of party unity.

I've just completed an urgent review of my personal policy of never publicly using the C word to impune the good character of any woman. 

Priti Patel was bad enough, but, holy shit, this Suella cunt is a right proper cunt of a cunt.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

fucking lol

It would take a heart of stone not to laugh.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

How?!?!? I'm now genuinely confused if your system is better. Great, you got rid of a shit leader quickly, but is this just going to be a loop now? 

It's a death spiral. The Tory party has been in power for 12 years. The talent they had among MPs was thin to start with, as local party members had been selecting on the basis of ideology. And as with all parties, they are a coalition of interests.

We've now reached the stage where no remaining credible candidate for PM can appeal to enough of those various interests. So as soon as one person is elected leader, the other factions start trying to heave them out. Each faction sees themselves as the only hope of winning the next election, you see. And so they all condemn themselves to losing.

ETA - the Braverman stuff is a case in point. As noted earlier, she's a horrible person whose ambition vastly outweighs her meagre talents. But also, she's become a lightning rod for internal dissent. Sunak had to buy her support with the promise of getting her job back, so now the anti-Sunak people want to force her out to end both his leadership and her ambitions in one fell swoop. And they can, because she has handed them a ton of ammunition through being really bad at this.

20 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That’s type of bold questioning that’s needed. 

You get to become PM now.

I say this with 100% confidence, I would be a better Prime Minister of the UK than anyone who has held the seat for at least 40 years. And I'd inspire more faith in the institution while telling the king to his face that he should step down and abolish the monarchy. 

The only way to purge the parliamentary party of some of the shittest Conservative MPs is to have a general election toot sweet. Though some of the shittest ones are probably in seats that the conservatives will retain even in the worst result ever for the Conservative party, so it's not a fool-proof plan. But if Rishi really does start feeling the heat of an impending coup he can only head that off at the pass by calling a GE, but just make sure the date is far enough into the future that he will only be the second shortest serving PM in history, end of January should do the trick I think. If the knives are already out he doesn't really have time to implement an economic plan and show that it is working for the Conservative party base.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

BBC local radio facing cuts - punishment for them giving Truss a kicking?

Rishi should be sending them thank you hampers, this was clearly the only way he was going to get a stint in No. 10.

The new women's minister, Maria Caulfield, wasted no time in coming out with the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever read

The new minister for women has defended an earlier decision to vote against buffer zones outside abortion clinics, explaining she is concerned some people accused of harassment may be just trying to “comfort” people using the healthcare services.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The new women's minister, Maria Caulfield, wasted no time in coming out with the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever read

The new minister for women has defended an earlier decision to vote against buffer zones outside abortion clinics, explaining she is concerned some people accused of harassment may be just trying to “comfort” people using the healthcare services.

Uh-huh… 

Has the vote happened on thst yet? Scotland very recently passed its own such vote.

Every Lent there would be catholics holding anyi-abortion signs at the road leading into the hospital, at the maternity end.

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

This is almost exactly the line uttered by the groups who carry out the harassment, who complained that buffer zones prevent their 'volunteers' from offering 'vital practical support' to women.

Archived