UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

10 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

BBC local radio facing cuts - punishment for them giving Truss a kicking?

I don't think it's punishment as such since like karaddin said it did Sunak a favour, but you wouldn't be shocked if 'stop it happening again to our people' was part of the quiet-part of the reasoning there.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The new women's minister, Maria Caulfield, wasted no time in coming out with the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever read

The new minister for women has defended an earlier decision to vote against buffer zones outside abortion clinics, explaining she is concerned some people accused of harassment may be just trying to “comfort” people using the healthcare services.

Protest moral support comfort harassment is only bad when it's directed against the government.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The new women's minister, Maria Caulfield, wasted no time in coming out with the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever read

The new minister for women has defended an earlier decision to vote against buffer zones outside abortion clinics, explaining she is concerned some people accused of harassment may be just trying to “comfort” people using the healthcare services.

It’s a clear attempt to habituate the public towards policies that are anti-reproductive rights.

I know abortion isn’t a massive culture war issue right now in England but  it’d dangerous not crush the incremental steps being laid to make it once again by conservatives.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

This is almost exactly the line uttered by the groups who carry out the harassment, who complained that buffer zones prevent their 'volunteers' from offering 'vital practical support' to women.

What 11 year old rape victim doesn’t need to be called a murderous whore when going to a surgery? 

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Matt Hancock's response to being snubbed by Sunak for a cabinet post is to go on I'm a Celebrity. Dignified. 

They should just chop him up and feed his rancid fucking gizzards to the bush tucker trialees.

48 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He is about to find out what the people - the real people, not his sycophants in Westiminster - think of the cunt. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Like a Tory councillor in his constituency 

Hancock seems convinced of his own likability, if only the public could see the real me they would love me. You could see it in his eyes in all those interviews he did on morning tv. His problem is going to be that he isn't likeable, he will almost certainly come out looking even worse than when he went in, but such is the arrogance of people like that.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/11/01/rishi-sunak-trans-equality-act/

If true, it seems Sunak may be Leaning more into the culture war nonsense that doesn’t materially improve the average brit’s life.

It's unclear as to whether Sunak feels that as a brown Hindu man who depends on the support of white generically-Christian conservatives, he needs to be seen to be tough on these issues: or whether he genuinely is quite illiberal on social issues. He has a scant voting record on equalities issues and tries not to talk about them in public.

Whatever the reason, it's clearly going to continue the reprehensible bullying of trans people. 

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

It's unclear as to whether Sunak feels that as a brown Hindu man who depends on the support of white generically-Christian conservatives, he needs to be seen to be tough on these issues: or whether he genuinely is quite illiberal on social issues. He has a scant voting record on equalities issues and tries not to talk about them in public.

Whatever the reason, it's clearly going to continue the reprehensible bullying of trans people. 

Er.. I thought that topic was closed for discussion on this board?

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/11/01/rishi-sunak-trans-equality-act/

If true, it seems Sunak may be Leaning more into the culture war nonsense that doesn’t materially improve the average brit’s life.

The Australian Liberal party tried running that line with a population that hasn't already been sold on the culture war to save them and it got them massacred including in a bunch of their own blue ribbon seats. I know there's a lot more anti trans sentiment amongst certain groups of UK feminists, but I'm hoping that doesn't reflect more widespread buy in to the full blown US culture war and it blows up in the face of the Tories there like it did to the Libs here. Of course the polling has been so bad I'm not sure they could even tell "backlash" from simply "failed to distract people".

And to HoI - the existence of trans people and our being deserving of basic humam rights is something I've seen declared off limits, I've never seen anyone say that you can't discuss the existence of bigoted policies against us. 

12 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And to HoI - the existence of trans people and our being deserving of basic humam rights is something I've seen declared off limits, I've never seen anyone say that you can't discuss the existence of bigoted policies against us. 

There have been multiple topics closed down for simply discussing the trans issue at all. It seems that doing so previously doesn't align with board policy if this conversation is deemed ok. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

In which case I would just point out how sickening it is that someone is pointing at Sunak's skin colour as the reason for his decision making. I said previously how great it is that people don't care what race or gender our PM is, but it seems some people do, and it's the ones who declare themselves to be the least racist. Ironic isn't it.

Either way, this will of course be frame as some sort of transphobia, missing the point that the bone of contention in all of these discussions is not about trans people, but the differences to the law that self identification makes.

Regardless of your intent, it's fucking skin crawling to have people talk about the "debate" around whether people like you deserve rights in wording like "the trans issue".

Which is of course the entire point of the discussions which are shut down. Mormont isn't opening up that discussion at all, he's theorizing why Rishi would. 

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

Regardless of your intent, it's fucking skin crawling to have people talk about the "debate" around whether people like you deserve rights in wording like "the trans issue".

In which case maybe nobody should be talking about it on this board. Either its a topic for discussion or it isn't. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

In which case maybe nobody should be talking about it on this board. Either its a topic for discussion or it isn't. 

If you have concerns with the moderation approach to a certain topic I'm pretty sure the preferred method to raise that is via PM to a mod of your choice, rather than discussing it in a random thread where no one has engaged in the discussion you're claiming to be an issue. Mormont's comment certainly didn't bother me the way that phrase did.

Archived