UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

Arguing that certain groups should be denied basic human rights should get you shut down. Pointing out that certain people are arguing for the denial of human rights is fair game. Clear enough?

2 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Arguing that certain groups should be denied basic human rights should get you shut down. Pointing out that certain people are arguing for the denial of human rights is fair game. Clear enough?

I mean if that is what you actually think is happening then that is up to you. No point having a conversation.

[mod] OK, to clarify because there seems to be some misinformation or misunderstanding.

- Shutting down discussion of trans issues completely would be erasure of members of our community and that is not something we would ever do. It is not the position now, never has been, never will be.

- We do however reserve the right to tell people to pause any particular discussion if it's off topic, getting heated, or has ground to a halt, as with any other topic. That includes discussions that may involve trans issues.

- We will as ever ask that discussion remain within civil boundaries, which in this context means: not misgendering people, not denying the validity of trans identities (because that amounts to the same thing, just indirectly), and not insisting on repetitively debating the basic facts.

- Everyone is entitled to their personal opinions, of course, but if you don't feel you can sign up to those basic rules of courtesy to other boarders, it would be advisable and considerate to abstain from the discussion. Self-moderation is the best approach.

- This is not open to discussion (though I'm willing to answer questions by PM) and having clarified the position, I'm now going to clean up the previous pages a bit and return to discussing the thread topic, instead of how we moderate part of that topic.

Thank you. [/mod]

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Goddamn conservatives love post-modernism.

The Trumpanistas and their variatials in other Western states have weaponized it.  Deconstruction is a nice tool to have on your philosophical tool belt but used as the core construct on which everthing you believe and espouse is hung… it leads to Solipsism.  

That’s a bad place to try to organize a human community from.

Savage news for anyone on variables or whose fixed rate is about to end. Wonder if we'll continue to see the housing market stall or even decline as people can no longer afford mortgages for the prices they were once looking at.

Hard to say. In turbulent times, UK property could still be a safe place to put your money. Even if the market crashes in 2023, prices will have recovered after a few years going by historical trends. So perhaps there'll be fewer 'normal' people buying houses to live in, but investors still picking up properties while there's a brake on the prices. I suppose it depends how far Truss and co. destroyed trust in the UK.

For my part I was planning on applying for a mortgage in March/April. Unless Putin trips and falls out of a window while the Gulf doubles its oil production, that's probably going on hold. 

54 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sir Graham Brady saying BJ did have the votes needed. 

But smart enough to know that while the racist membership would have voted for him (probably), he wouldnt last long with the majority of MP’s wanting Sunak.

Wild that Johnson would rush back, get the necessary support and then drop out. I suppose it fits with his established MO of not thinking things through?

I'm guessing he was put under some pressure by Sunak backers, who were clearly desperate to avoid a party vote.

LOL at all the cretins who seem to have forgotten that Bozo was forced out in disgrace by the Parliamentary Conservative Party, as arguably the worst PM this country has ever seen*.

* He didn't have to hold Truss's beer for long.

Been a really depressing week if you're an immigrant in this country. Just the way people talk about immigrants, refugees & people who claim asylum is fucking broken

'Do gooders' and 'lefty lawyers' show the compassion this government has abdondened is certainly correct.

Archived