UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

Can Rishi really not remember that it was exactly this sort of issue that finally brought BJ down?

Imagine being a grown man and throwing a hissy fit because you didn't get invited to someone who you didn't knows funeral. What a fucking manchild. 

37 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

There are rumours that Williamson is in possession of some very serious dirt on some very senior Tories.

Would explain a lot.

Rumour is his knighthood was for catching Johnson and the now-Mrs Johnson at it some years ago. 
Certainly wasnt for his contribution to education

It's happening again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63530070

Downing Street confirmed the prime minister knew about a complaint against Sir Gavin before appointing him to cabinet, but had not seen the messages.

[...]

Rossendale and Darwen MP Sir Jake says he told Mr Sunak about the complaint accusing Sir Gavin of "bullying and intimidation" on 24 October.

Mr Sunak succeeded Liz Truss as prime minister on 25 October and appointed Sir Gavin a minister of state at the Cabinet Office.

If you had been told about the complaint, why wouldn't you ask to see the messages?

ETA - and if you're now saying the texts are 'unacceptable' why are you not sacking him?

Being dependent on the government for pay rises sucks. I know I'm getting about 2% next year, whereas my wife just interviewed for a job and said 'i know what I'm worth, I want this much' and they were 'OK then'. 

I do wonder what Labour could realistically do to catch up public sector workers to where they should be. 

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Being dependent on the government for pay rises sucks. I know I'm getting about 2% next year, whereas my wife just interviewed for a job and said 'i know what I'm worth, I want this much' and they were 'OK then'. 

I do wonder what Labour could realistically do to catch up public sector workers to where they should be. 

Maybe they should privatize police to get some competition in the job market? 

One down. More to follow.

ETA -

They're still fighting like cats in a sack and they're all awful. Can we have an election? Oh no that's right, we have to wait until they all decide what the best time to face the music is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63573988

Brexit-backing Next boss says UK needs more overseas workers

The boss of retailer Next is urging the government to let more foreign workers into the UK to ease labour shortages.

Lord Wolfson, who was a prominent advocate of Brexit, said the UK's current immigration policy was crippling economic growth.

"I think in respect of immigration, it's definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit wanted," he said.

"And we have to remember, you know, we're all stuck in this Brexit argument, we have to remember that what post-Brexit Britain looks like, is not the preserve of those people that voted Brexit, it's for all of us to decide."

ARTICLE CONTINUES

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Kwasi and Liz appear to no longer be friends 'it was all her fault' appears to be the gist of his statement. 

What's the old joke about Harold MacMillan? Greater love hath than no man than this, to lay down his friends for his life. 

Of course, Kwasi is pointing the finger at Liz, and she will in turn point the finger at him.  As JFK almost said, success has a thousand fathers, but colossal fuckups are orphans. 

On 11/10/2022 at 11:44 PM, Which Tyler said:

I thought this was quite an apt response

You do have to wonder (or perhaps you really don't) at what these people were thinking in 2016. Captains of industry with the sense and vision of Gen. Melchett?

I dunno, maybe this guy thought that while immigration from EU countries would be cut off it would mean immigration from poor countries where people can be paid rick bottom wages would compensate. CEOs of large corporations almost all pretty much want to pay as low wages as possible, and in rich countries that is best achieved by immigration from poor countries. Though that does not fit with the agenda of the racist wing of the Brexit movement.

Mr. Dyson of vaccuum cleaner fame seems to have gone a bit quiet. He was quite the keen Brexiteer IIRC.

Archived