UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

The last thing we need is to make an unelected chamber more effective. Don't mistake outcomes you like for evidence that a bad system is a good system. The Lords is a bad system. The continual expansion of the Lords as successive PMs try to create a House that does what they want is evidence of that. If we need a revising chamber, it should be an elected and accountable one.

Expertise from people who do not need to worry about elections is what you have a civil service for.

19 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So do you want the lords appointed by elected representatives?

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I feel like the only viable way to do it and keep some of that detachment from the pressure of the day would be really long terms. Possibly something like ten-year terms, with a term limit of two, maybe three, and staggered elections third-by-third, so that only a third of the chamber would be looking towards imminent re-election at any given moment.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

The last thing we need is to make an unelected chamber more effective. Don't mistake outcomes you like for evidence that a bad system is a good system. The Lords is a bad system. The continual expansion of the Lords as successive PMs try to create a House that does what they want is evidence of that. If we need a revising chamber, it should be an elected and accountable one.

Expertise from people who do not need to worry about elections is what you have a civil service for.

Also the House of Lords DEPENDS from monarchy.  That's the only way to get rid of it, is to get rid of the monarchy.

12 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I feel like he’d go dirty more quickly and like try biting Rishi.

You mean you think he'd start by fighting clean? :o

Boris would have been the school bully, the only compunction he'd have about starting a fight dirty is if it was actually 1 on 1 - and even then, Sunak would have been the school nerd, and never have stood a chance against Boris.

Gove would have been the one coming up with the psychological forms of school bullying.

JRM the creepy kid, pulling the wings off flies etc, who the bullies were scared of. You just know he'd go completely psycho and probably bite your nose off if you pushed him too far...

On 11/21/2022 at 5:28 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You know what in a no holds bar street fight I think Boris wins.

Without question. Johnson once full-strength rugby-battered a kid during a school visit to discuss PE, and I don't think Sunak is much bigger than that kid.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Without question. Johnson once full-strength rugby-battered a kid during a school visit to discuss PE, and I don't think Sunak is much bigger than that kid.

It was a good soak tackle though - and more successful than Catt on Lomu

Shoulder to face though, would be a straight red if it was the tackler's shoulder

Corrupt Eurosceptic Brexiteer ex MP, on the record for demanding that the UK scrap its adherence to European Human Rights legislation, is suing the UK government in the European Court of Human Rights for "damaging his good reputation", by not scrapping the Standards Commission when they caught him out in his corruption and recommended his suspension as an MP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63714944

Epic trolling!

Archived