UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

Aragon, which comprised Aragon, Catalonia, and Valencia, was a separate Kingdom from Castille, and Navarre, until 1714.  It was ruled by the same king from the time of Charles I (Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire).  But, it had very different laws, and a very different relationship to its sovereign, from Castille. The monarchy was much weaker in Aragon than in Castille.  I'd say its position was similar to that of Scotland, prior to 1707.

Catalonia was pro-Hapsburg, but the Hapsburgs surrendered their claim at the Treaty of Utrecht, in 1713.  Barcelona surrendered to the Bourbons, a year later.  After 1714, the Bourbons abolished a lot of Aragon's distinct laws and liberties, and ruled Spain in a much more centralised fashion. After 1716, most of Catalonia's political institutions were abolished, and Catalan ceased to be an official language.

Small mishap on your part so to speak. It's Habsburg not Hapsburg. Assuming you mean the probably most inbreedy dynasty in Europe. Their ancestors make the genetic pool of rural Alabama look diverse.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Small mishap on your part so to speak. It's Habsburg not Hapsburg. Assuming you mean the probably most inbreedy dynasty in Europe. Their ancestors make the genetic pool of rural Alabama look diverse.

Nonsense! Charles II of Spain was just unconventional looking, and the Habsburg chin is a result of quality genetic stock!

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hapsburg is a common spelling in English.

2 hours ago, Loge said:

Hapsburg is a common spelling in English.

It's still verifiably wrong. This isn't some Russian (cyrillic alphabet) or Chinese or Japanese name, where you could make an argument about transcription into another language. Both German and English use the Latin alphabet. 

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

It's still verifiably wrong. This isn't some Russian (cyrillic alphabet) or Chinese or Japanese name, where you could make an argument about transcription into another language. Both German and English use the Latin alphabet. 

It's definitely not wrong as long as you refer to the dynasty rather than individuals. None of them actually used it as their name when they still were a ruling dynasty. Nowadays they use Habsburg-Lothringen as a surname. That has a fixed spelling. The dynasty, not really. It isn't as if Charles V carried a passport that said Habsburg.

4 hours ago, Loge said:

It's definitely not wrong as long as you refer to the dynasty rather than individuals. None of them actually used it as their name when they still were a ruling dynasty. Nowadays they use Habsburg-Lothringen as a surname. That has a fixed spelling. The dynasty, not really. It isn't as if Charles V carried a passport that said Habsburg.

True. However, they named themselves after their seat. Which is Habsburg castle.

Historic fun fact, that thing is located in Switzerland. Myth has it, they named it for a Habicht (Northern goshawk) that found that place for them, while they were hunting, and that bloody thing went missing. Anyway, point is, it really should be Habsburg.

10 hours ago, Loge said:

I don't understand your line of argument here. With the same reasoning you might as well call them Cucumber.

Complete solidarity with the RCN that is going to strike sometime in December or Xmas.

The British Medical Association is going to ballot doctors next month for strikes, I'm not sure if we'll pass the motion but there's a lot of frustration/ anger amongst doctors.

Edit: Nurses are striking 15th & 20th December.

The fact that essential, life-saving professions like those in healthcare get paid so little, whilst people who kick around a ball get millions, is a pretty perfect encapsulation of the shitty world we live in. During the pandemic it became increasingly clear that we couldn't do without frontline workers in professions like retail, delivery, healthcare etc. You would've thought we would learn something from that terrible time. But here we are. I just cannot stomach the thought that specimens like the Kardashians earn millions, if not billions, from broadcasting every detail of their ludicrous lives, and people who literally save lives have to fight to get a decent living wage. Fuck this broken, capitalist-worshipping system. 

Rant over! 

4 hours ago, Crixus said:

The fact that essential, life-saving professions like those in healthcare get paid so little, whilst people who kick around a ball get millions, is a pretty perfect encapsulation of the shitty world we live in. During the pandemic it became increasingly clear that we couldn't do without frontline workers in professions like retail, delivery, healthcare etc. You would've thought we would learn something from that terrible time. But here we are. I just cannot stomach the thought that specimens like the Kardashians earn millions, if not billions, from broadcasting every detail of their ludicrous lives, and people who literally save lives have to fight to get a decent living wage. Fuck this broken, capitalist-worshipping system. 

Rant over! 

They have nothing to do with each other. They're a lovely scapegoat that get rolled out from time to time to deflect from where the problems really are. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They have nothing to do with each other. Their a lovely scapegoat that get rolled out from time to time to deflect from where the problems really are. 

I think comparing salaries across professions relative to their importance and impact in real terms is actually quite relevant, in fact. But ymmv and that's fine. 

ETA: I see what you mean now (see below). And I agree. 

2 minutes ago, Crixus said:

I think comparing salaries across professions relative to their importance and impact in real terms is actually quite relevant, in fact. But ymmv and that's fine. 

It is. BFC is suggesting, though, that there are far better comparators than footballers and celebrities. Investment bankers, MPs, all the people we keep getting told have to be paid more money and taxed less or we just won't get the quality candidates applying. An argument that somehow never seems to apply to nurses, teachers, care workers and train drivers.

Just now, mormont said:

It is. BFC is suggesting, though, that there are far better comparators than footballers and celebrities. Investment bankers, MPs, all the people we keep getting told have to be paid more money and taxed less or we just won't get the quality candidates applying. An argument that somehow never seems to apply to nurses, teachers, care workers and train drivers.

I agree with that entirely and yes, those make for far more relevant examples. Thanks for clarifying it. 

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

I think we all tend to forget that when we talk about footballers salaries, we only ever look at what the top people in the premier league are making, and we throw our toys out of the pram. Lower league players are also paid peanuts, and it's because they don't bring in that sort of value, they are not as good as the highly paid players. I agree that it is a stupid comparison to make and makes me groan every time I hear it.

Archived