UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

:laugh:

The rest of the thread is good too. A reasonable person can quickly recognize the interaction and demanding line of questioning is off. In less than 5 seconds even!

You are aware that this conversation is available to be read by people yeah?

WT: FTR, my name is Irish

HOI: I would say if you have an Irish name then it's pretty obvious where you are from.

WT: Wait, you can tell that I'm from Wiltshire because I've an Irish name?

HOI: See how easy it is to be deliberately obstructive.       [Oh the irony]

WT: Can you, or can you not tell that I'm from Wiltshire as a result of my Irish name?

HOI: Language is confusing isn’t it.       [No]

HOI: So you are saying there is an misunderstanding when I was referring to your heritage rather than your physical location?

WT: What assumptions are you making about my heritage?

Please stop gaslighting.
Please be willing to answer questions.
Please, for once in your 8.4k posts, actually enter a discussion in good faith.

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So you are saying there is an misunderstanding when I was referring to your heritage rather than your physical location?? Wow, it happens so easily doesn’t it 

Ok My name is Wendy Duly,   I am white,  very short, Female currently wearing jeans and a Ford Panther Job 1 T-shirt.

What is my heritage?

55 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Wait, you can tell that I'm from Wiltshire because I've an Irish name?

Damn that's impressive, to the point that you'd be the first in 46 years to do so.

But where are you from??

My wife’s maiden name means it’s very easy to make assumptions about her family background. But to do so would irritate her, as she considers herself white Scottish atheist. Part of why she took my surname (which ironically I’ve never liked).

To badger about where she’s really ‘from’ (or her family) woukd piss her off. Had I done so on out first date on learning her surname, I suspect there wouldn’t be a second date.

Wheb my now-late gran learned where my wife’s gran lived, her jaw literally dropped (think Bishop Brennan upon being kicked up the arse by Father Ted). Next day I got a phone call ‘casually’ asking my wife’s surname.

Are we still talking about this?

I'll merely reiterate my point from earlier: this woman's entire job (such as it is) is to put guests at their ease, make them feel welcome and take care of them. To assist her she had specific training about race issues and what sort of comment might be considered racist. If she was not aware that she was being racist and offensive she undoubtedly should have been aware of that. She had all the tools and training to know. And give her this, she hasn't attempted to excuse herself of blame. Because there is no excuse.

Anyway, moving on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63825127

The reappointment of Suella Braverman as home secretary - after she broke ministerial rules - sets "a dangerous precedent", MPs have said.

Ms Braverman was sacked from her role after leaking restricted material but given her job back just six days later, when Rishi Sunak became prime minister.

Defending the move, Mr Sunak said she had "learned from her mistake".

But a Commons committee said there should be "significant" punishments for ministers leaking documents.

William Wragg, who chairs the public administration and constitutional affairs committee, said a "robust" system for upholding standards was needed, "with proper sanctions for those who break the rules".

Wragg, of course, is a Tory himself. He's absolutely right and this person needs to go. But Sunak has already said his ethics adviser, who still hasn't been appointed, won't be looking into any of this - the original offence, the decision to reappoint, none of it. Because we don't want ethics advisers looking at anything that might look bad.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

As for her dress, if she’d been wearing Levi jeans, would Hussey have asked where in America she was from?

That would be cultural appropriation anyway. Levi Strauss is from Buttenheim, a neighbour town of mine. Dont try to steal my heritage!

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Ah, but is there something making Hobbits immune to becoming Hobbit werewolves or Hobbit vampires? 

well we do wear true silver underwear, and vampires are even less fond of the smell of pipe weed as they are of Garlic.   we also have lots of garlic being avid gardeners and great cooks.

3 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

well we do wear true silver underwear, and vampires are even less fond of the smell of pipe weed as they are of Garlic.   we also have lots of garlic being avid gardeners and great cooks.

Then a Hobbit you remain.

Next question: A Took? Brandybuck? Baggins??

9 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Then a Hobbit you remain.

Next question: A Took? Brandybuck? Baggins??

No, but which part of the Shire are you really from?

5 minutes ago, ants said:

No, but which part of the Shire are you really from?

Vales of Anduin. It's always Vales of Anduin. An we know what kind of people comes from there. They are just here for the free jewellery.

We need to rebuilt bridges with the EU; if we voted to rejoin, we wouldn't get straight back in, certainly not with our previous deal.
The path back in is most likely in small steps and gradually greater integration; and will require us to show a willingness to cooperate rather than antagonise at every step, and will require a reasonably consistent course over several prime ministerships; with the big steps likely needing to be taken in not-first terms as PM, once political capital has been build up (both at home, in an relations with the EU).

Aside from that, why make the political news all about how labour f***ed up, when it's so busy reporting on how the tories are f***ing up. Why take the heat off the tories in order to say something that will harm himself?

Archived