Jump to content

UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables


mormont
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is the BBC suggesting that the depiction of a black Welsh family is wokeism. Whatever the fuck that means. 

But I thought there was no such thing as institutional racism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But I thought there was no such thing as institutional racism. 

Let us revisit what the UN Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent had to say about our glorious govt's report

Quote

Stunningly, the Report also claims that, while there might be overt acts of racism in the UK, there is no institutional racism.

The reality is that People of African descent continue to experience poor economic, social, and health outcomes at vastly disproportionate rates in the UK.  The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (COBs, 2016), noted, among other things that, “There is [a] higher rate of unemployment among persons of African and Asian descent; (b) occupational segregation, with the concentration of persons belonging to ethnic minorities in insecure and low-paid work; and (c) discriminatory recruitment practices of employers.” While racial disparities may not always stem from racism or racial discrimination, there is also compelling evidence that the roots of these disparities lie in institutional racism and structural discrimination as they clearly do not reflect the preferences or priorities of the communities facing structural disadvantage. I

nstead, many racial disparities in the UK clearly reflect specific nodes of power and decision-making by employers, teachers, and others who dictate the opportunities and advantages available to people of African descent.  Too often this decision-making reflects legacy mindsets of racial hierarchy. In other words, institutional racism, structural invisibility, and longstanding inequalities have disproportionately impacted people of African descent living in the UK. Therefore, the suggestion that family structure, rather than institutionalized and structural discriminatory practices are the central features of the Black experience is a tone-deaf attempt at rejecting the lived realities of people of African descent and other ethnic minorities in the UK.

But of course, none of this applies cause 'people paid no notice'. Like I said, intellectual vaccum that has no understanding of race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mormont said:

I'm not going to take that bet.

Let's remember that Sunak still thinks cryptocurrency and freeports are great.

He's got more money than the Queen (did, as she's dead, or so They Say -- but then Day of the Dead is just around the corner).  Perhaps more to the point then, he's got more money than the King!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

This is the BBC suggesting that the depiction of a black Welsh family is wokeism. Whatever the fuck that means. 

But I thought there was no such thing as institutional racism. 

Do you understand what institutional racism even means?

btw, that is a video of a BBC presenter allowing a guest the opportunity to respond to some accusations made elsewhere ( I dunno by who and I don’t even know what this show is) that a show is ‘woke’. That is not the BBC suggesting a show is woke. Feels like you have completely misunderstood what is happening in that clip.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Curious to see what kind of Cabinet Sunak ends up selecting. Hunt will likely stay, but I would imagine a lot of the other places are up for grabs. I imagine Rees Mogg will be out.

Edited by Raja
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

Curious to see what kind of Cabinet Sunak ends up selecting. Hunt will likely stay, but I would imagine a lot of the other places are up for grabs. I imagine Rees Mogg will be out.

I wonder if JRM will be as adamant as he was in July, that he'd refuse a cabinet position from Sunak.
Presumably in much the same way that I refuse to have a threesome with Jessica Alba and Tessa Thompson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Do you understand what institutional racism even means?

btw, that is a video of a BBC presenter allowing a guest the opportunity to respond to some accusations made elsewhere ( I dunno by who and I don’t even know what this show is) that a show is ‘woke’. That is not the BBC suggesting a show is woke. Feels like you have completely misunderstood what is happening in that clip.  

Listen again.

There are some people who will say... is how she actually prefaced her question. Which is the type of code used by cretins such as Piers Morgan and Tucker Carlson for "This is what I want to say".

So, how about the next time you deploy this word on this forum (and you do it all the fucking time), it would be helpful if you can clarify for everyone just exactly what you mean by it.

/engagement

Edited by Spockydog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of people noting that Sunak will be the first Hindu PM, but more broadly, is he the first non-Christian PM? (And to those people tempted to point out that we had a Jewish PM in Victorian times, you are technically correct, but Benjamin Disraeli was officially Christian)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Lots of people noting that Sunak will be the first Hindu PM, but more broadly, is he the first non-Christian PM? (And to those people tempted to point out that we had a Jewish PM in Victorian times, you are technically correct, but Benjamin Disraeli was officially Christian)

A couple of Prime Ministers have been openly atheists, I imagine a few more probably were privately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, he has taken the oath of office for MP on the Gita, so his faith may be something important to him. I know the fact that he was chosen as PM on the eve of Diwali had some special significance for Hindus both in the UK and back in India.

I wish Varadkar were still Tao...err.. PM of Ireland, that would be so hilarious to me. It would almost be like playing a game of Civilization, where the Indian empire was slowly taking over the world (I mean, lets not forget Harris in the US also has South Indian heritage).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Curious to see what kind of Cabinet Sunak ends up selecting. Hunt will likely stay, but I would imagine a lot of the other places are up for grabs. I imagine Rees Mogg will be out.

We'll see whether Sunak will differ from his two predecessors and appoint some cabinet members who aren't already allies of his.

26 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I wish Varadkar were still Tao...err.. PM of Ireland, that would be so hilarious to me. It would almost be like playing a game of Civilization, where the Indian empire was slowly taking over the world (I mean, lets not forget Harris in the US also has South Indian heritage).

Apparently Varadkar is schedules to become Taoiseach again in a few months as part of some job sharing scheme they have in their coalition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Welp. Guardian reporting that braverman might go back in as home secretary

That's an important bellweather. Braverman reportedly resigned because Truss wanted to relax immigration for economic reasons. It remains true that we need to do that. If Sunak invites Braverman back, he's signalling that he prefers to shore up his position politically with the right, rather than do the thing that's needed to address economic problems. Not a good sign.

Edited by mormont
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...