Jump to content

UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables


mormont
 Share

Recommended Posts

Definitely in the scheme of things a non-event. I just hope it doesn't get whoever at the PR firm chose the music into any kind of trouble. Probably a Young'un whose never even heard of Gary Glitter or his moral sins and just thought it was a cool and energetic drum line.

Of course they could always say they were inspired by this, which borrowed slightly from Glitter's song.

 

 

Edited by The Anti-Targ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NFL badly wants to expand into the UK and Europe generally, potentially setting up a new division there. To inspire this they've given you Broncos-Jags, a borderline war crime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The NFL badly wants to expand into the UK and Europe generally, potentially setting up a new division there. To inspire this they've given you Broncos-Jags, a borderline war crime. 

Who is Broncos-Jags?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope you don't mind me interrupting your discussion of NFL, but someone's been feeding Priti Patel after midnight again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63444573

 

Whilst down in Dover, someone's been trying to kill refugees, and of course, its the refugees' fault that they're getting firebombed in Dover:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63446683

And, of course, it's not terrorism, it's just the attempted murder of people for the purposes of scaring other people in the same pigeon hole.

Edited by Which Tyler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I hope you don't mind me interrupting your discussion of NFL, but someone's been feeding Priti Patel after midnight again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63444573

It's an easy mistake to make but I think you might be getting your awful and previously-sacked Home Secretaries mixed up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It's an easy mistake to make but I think you might be getting your awful and previously-sacked Home Secretaries mixed up?

Nope, just referencing the old (in political terms) joke "Suella Braverman is what you get if you feed Priti Patel after midnight"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Whilst down in Dover, someone's been trying to kill refugees, and of course, its the refugees' fault that they're getting firebombed in Dover:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63446683

And, of course, it's not terrorism, it's just the attempted murder of people for the purposes of scaring other people in the same pigeon hole.

The culprit appears to be the only casualty, so some kind of natural justice seems to have played out at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I hope you don't mind me interrupting your discussion of NFL, but someone's been feeding Priti Patel after midnight again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63444573

There are really only two interesting bits to this story. 
First that Truss also was involved in a, much worse, security breach involving her phone. This raises questions about how lax MPs are about security and why they ever use personal equipment or emails. 
 

The second interesting thing is that Braverman lost her job when the breach of security was used as a reason to get rid of her over differences of opinion about immigration policy. It looks like the same thing is happening now, it’s just now it’s Labour and the media making all the effort.

Not to say I wouldn’t like her to go, but that doesn’t mean it’s not obvious what is going on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The second interesting thing is that Braverman lost her job when the breach of security was used as a reason to get rid of her over differences of opinion about immigration policy. It looks like the same thing is happening now, it’s just now it’s Labour and the media making all the effort.

Though Braverman did lose her job immediately after the security breach came to light, which seems more than a coincidence! To me it feels more like she tried to spin being sacked for the security breach into a principled resignation over a policy disagreement.

But I suppose if, since Johnson, breaching security is no longer a sacking offence, merely something that provides an way of sacking you if you are not wanted, that is still better then nothing. It provides at least some incentive for them to behave themselves. Though I personally think that the likes of Braverman genuinely seem to think that the rules do not apply to them and they can do whatever they want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Though Braverman did lose her job immediately after the security breach came to light, which seems more than a coincidence! To me it feels more like she tried to spin being sacked for the security breach into a principled resignation over a policy disagreement.

But I suppose if, since Johnson, breaching security is no longer a sacking offence, merely something that provides an way of sacking you if you are not wanted, that is still better then nothing. It provides at least some incentive for them to behave themselves. Though I personally think that the likes of Braverman genuinely seem to think that the rules do not apply to them and they can do whatever they want.

In Braverman's case its easier to put it down to incompetence, due to her being mostly incompetent. But since so many MPs are terrible at security measures and are generally pretty complacent with this stuff, it will be an easy way to get rid of anyone who doesn't agree with you. 

But let's all at least acknowledge what is going on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A wilding said:

Though Braverman did lose her job immediately after the security breach came to light, which seems more than a coincidence! To me it feels more like she tried to spin being sacked for the security breach into a principled resignation over a policy disagreement.

Braverman was known to be leaking stuff, she just got caught at it because she was sloppy. So in that sense, this is true. She also tried to spin the leak as some sort of accident but that story is plainly not true and has since been largely abandoned by the Braverman camp.

The basic story here is that the Tory infighting continues. The Truss leak is clearly coming from inside the government.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...