Jaqen- how long does it take to steal a book? Or what's the actual plan

AtoningUnifex

So, he's been at the Citadel for quite a while with the master key, could have likely snagged the "Death of Dragons" months ago. What's he up to? Arbor Gold binge or just enjoying living the dream as Pate...? This may be a multi party mission.  Thoughts from those smarter than me?

Safely embedded with the maesters in Oldtown, I can see him being there for a while.  Although, since we saw him only at the very end of aFfC, there is nothing to prove that he actually DID stay there - we may find in the next book that he went off with Marwyn.

Jaqen is certainly interested in the dragons and the book, the world has changed dramatically and house of black and white is trying to investigate. Hence, Jaqen came to Westeros. But Jaqen's true mission is unclear and may never get revealed to us. All we know is that Euron is super powerful and he will invade oldtown in the Winds of Winter, and three guys in the citadel may thwart his plans. We have a powerful guy Jaqen, a smart guy Sarella and a lucky guy Sam, it'll be interesting to see the oldtown plot unfold in the Winds.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, sifth said:

According to some of the info we got from GRRM's original drafts of the chapter, Jaqen is really after the glass candle. For what reason, I have no idea.

The candles were apparently supposed to grant immortality, which goes against the FM's philosophy of All Men must Die. So I guess Jaqen needed to learn how they work, so that the FM could stop it.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

According to some of the info we got from GRRM's original drafts of the chapter, Jaqen is really after the glass candle. For what reason, I have no idea.

One thing we do know it is used for.  He and his cabal find out that Sam is coming using the glass candle.  And they intercept him.

If it was a book Jaquen was looking for, my guess is it is the one Sam has.  Maybe he could not find it at the Citadel, but the glass candle helped him find it anyway.

48 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

One thing we do know it is used for.  He and his cabal find out that Sam is coming using the glass candle.  And they intercept him.

If it was a book Jaquen was looking for, my guess is it is the one Sam has.  Maybe he could not find it at the Citadel, but the glass candle helped him find it anyway.

My theory is he needs the glass candle to find someone, but he himself does not know how it works. The book he's looking for is one to teach him how to use a glass candle.

21 hours ago, sifth said:

My theory is he needs the glass candle to find someone, but he himself does not know how it works. The book he's looking for is one to teach him how to use a glass candle.

Fake Pate and his buddies are already using the glass candle.  So they must know how to use it to at least some extent.  I don't know who they were looking for, but I know who they found:  Sam.  And Sam's book.  And Sam's horn.  And Gilly's kingsblood baby.  And Aemon's kingsblood corpse.  They are going to do some blood magic.

Alleras smiled. "I have a confession. Ours was no chance encounter, Sam. The Mage sent me to snatch you up before you spoke to Theobald. He knew that you were coming."
"How?"
Alleras nodded at the glass candle.
The Alchemist murdered Pate at the beginning of book 4.  I think we can assume a few things have been going on behind the scenes in the meantime.  It would be dreadful, IMHO, if we were waiting for book 6 so Fake Pate could finally learn how to use the glass candle so the plot could finally advance.

4 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

Fake Pate and his buddies are already using the glass candle.  So they must know how to use it to at least some extent.  I don't know who they were looking for, but I know who they found:  Sam.  And Sam's book.  And Sam's horn.  And Gilly's kingsblood baby.  And Aemon's kingsblood corpse.  They are going to do some blood magic.

Alleras smiled. "I have a confession. Ours was no chance encounter, Sam. The Mage sent me to snatch you up before you spoke to Theobald. He knew that you were coming."
"How?"
The Alchemist murdered Pate at the beginning of book 4.  I think we can assume a few things have been going on behind the scenes in the meantime.  It would be dreadful, IMHO, if we were waiting for book 6 so Fake Pate could finally learn how to use the glass candle so the plot could finally advance.

I get the feeling Fake Pate can't fully control it, without Merwyn's help. He's still learning how it's used. Hence why he needed the book. My theory is, he used the book to get knowledge on the candle to impress Merwyn, with his information on the candle and it's use. Since that time, Merwyn has been teaching him and the others how it's used.

29 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

"How?"

That passage doesn't say that Pate & Co were using the candle, it implies that Marwyn did. 

19 minutes ago, sifth said:

I get the feeling Fake Pate can't fully control it, without Merwyn's help. He's still learning how it's used. Hence why he needed the book. My theory is, he used the book to get knowledge on the candle to impress Merwyn, with his information on the candle and it's use. Since that time, Merwyn has been teaching him and the others how it's used.

But he has Marwyn's help.  They are a team.   All the pieces are in place.  The plot is ready to advance.

We don't need to wait for book 6 or book 7 for Fake Pate to finally learn how to use glass candles so the plot can advance.  The cabal has already used the glass candle.  They are ready for the next step.  Which is why Marwyn is headed for the Cinnamon Wind.  And I think his buddies are going with him.

12 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

We don’t even know if the Alchemist is actually after a glass candle in the current canon, since all we have is an early draft.

In the current draft, Pate and his friends already have the glass candle and are using it.  i don't know why we now want to debate about whether they were ever after it at any prior point.  If they were, they have it now.  They are now after other things.

12 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

We don’t even know if the Alchemist is actually after a glass candle in the current canon, since all we have is an early draft.

True, but it’s all we have to go on and it makes the most amount of sense, IMO.

The question is who is he trying to find with it?

you guys have got me confused. I thought the Jaqen's object was a book . . . what is it that pate gives Jaqen?

On the other hand, on the proposition that he's after the candle: Marwyn has a candle, and, yes, fake pate is now among his minions, and so is in the vicinity of the candle and its use, but that doesn't mean fake pate isn't after the candle. he could be planning to steal it for some yet unrevealed purpose.

Archived