Characters you're excited to see? [Book spoilers]

The Blackwoods obviously even though I suspect their leading trio might be cut or greatly condensed. 

Given he's one of the more prominent lords in Westerosi history I don't think Alyn will end up getting cut. They probably won't do an invasion of Dorne or regency era show, but in case they do its useful if they already established Alyn is around. 

Alys Rivers, Cregan Stark, Black Aly Blackwood, Nettles, Adam and Alyn of Hull, Jeyne Arryn, Sabitha Frey, Sara Snow...

the Shepard not because I like him but because of the storyline... also Hugh Hammee and Ulf the White because it's nice to have someone to really hate...

...and Tessarion and Silverwing, two of my favourite dragons!

Alys River, Addam&Alyn, Nettles, Jeyne Arryn, Daeron, the Shepard, Lady Fell

Not excited about Cregan, but that's only because I can't stand the character.

Dragons : Sunfyre (we barely got a glimpse of him), the Cannibal, Tessarion

1 hour ago, Khloey said:

Alys River, Addam&Alyn, Nettles, Jeyne Arryn, Daeron, the Shepard, Lady Fell

Not excited about Cregan, but that's only because I can't stand the character.

Dragons : Sunfyre (we barely got a glimpse of him), the Cannibal, Tessarion

Lady Fell has already appeared (and presumably died) on the show:

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Fell_(lady)

• 2 months later...

If done well, Hugh Hammer and Ulf the White could become really evil guys that are hated more than Criston Cole by the viewers.

I am really excited to see Alyn of Hull, it honestly feels like he’s Luke’s character reincarnated into an older version that’s just super badass.

I think Alys Rivers will be really cool to see too, especially if they bring to life some of the mysterious witchy suspicions of her character.

Do you think the show will give us the Red Kraken? Honestly I just finished Fire and Blood and don’t think he will be in it on screen at all.

Theres way to much to show that happens in the Reach and the Crownlands that I don’t think anything to do with the Ironborn attack on the Westerlands will be shown at all - it’ll only be mentioned.

My main thought behind this is that he only really gets a mention in the books. There’s never a POV in the west showing us, we’re just hearing reports through letters

9 hours ago, KingStoneheart said:

Do you think the show will give us the Red Kraken? Honestly I just finished Fire and Blood and don’t think he will be in it on screen at all.

Theres way to much to show that happens in the Reach and the Crownlands that I don’t think anything to do with the Ironborn attack on the Westerlands will be shown at all - it’ll only be mentioned.

My main thought behind this is that he only really gets a mention in the books. There’s never a POV in the west showing us, we’re just hearing reports through letters

I don't understand this at all. What possible reason would they have to cut that of all things? Especially since that would also mean cutting one of the strongest female characters, Johanna Westerling.

It has everything: pseudo-Vikings, action scenes, a badass woman leader who is really badass and competent and survives the war to keep ruling, and it's the biggest sign of how morally grey and messy this entire civil war is, with the Ironborn using Rhaenyra's claim as mere pretext to attack the Westerlands.

My main thought behind this is that he only really gets a mention in the books.

So do most things. It's not a novel. It's like an extremely long, very unreliable Wikipedia page.

19 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I don't understand this at all. What possible reason would they have to cut that of all things? Especially since that would also mean cutting one of the strongest female characters, Johanna Westerling.

It has everything: pseudo-Vikings, action scenes, a badass woman leader who is really badass and competent and survives the war to keep ruling, and it's the biggest sign of how morally grey and messy this entire civil war is, with the Ironborn using Rhaenyra's claim as mere pretext to attack the Westerlands.

So do most things. It's not a novel. It's like an extremely long, very unreliable Wikipedia page.

It honestly feels to me that the showrunners are pushing people towards Rhaenyra.

23 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

There'll be no shortage of strong women in House of the Dragon. Rhaenyra, Alicent, Rhaenys, Mysaria, Neetles, Baela, Alys Rivers...

Joanna Westerling is a character who doesn't move from Casterly Rock and doesn't interact with any of the other main characters. And his story only gets interesting after the end of the Dance, during a period that the show doesn't intend to cover. I doubt that we will ever see her in the show, and if we do, she'll be just a tertiary character with a couple of lines.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:22 AM, Annara Snow said:

As I mentioned above, there’s so much happening in the Reach and Crownlands (a lot of which will probably be brushed over as it is) and nothing that happens between Joanna and the Red Kraken actually has any impact on the story until Alyn Velaryon goes there AFTER the Dance of the Dragons.

If House of the Dragon does something with Aegon III after he becomes king (I suspect the Dance storyline will end with roughly 4 seasons and end with Cregan Stark killing the Clubfoot and Corlys dying), then yes both characters would be in the show eventually.

Based on how certain things were handled in GoT (purely based on screen time and how to please viewers without over complicating things) then the Greyjoy invasion will only be mentioned.

I completely agree with all that the Hairy Bear says above. The show is set around King’s Landing and the war between Rhaenerya and Aegon and everything that will be shown is things that directly impact that storyline.

I’m not trying to say that seeing the war between Joanna and Dalton would not be cool, I’m just trying to have a realistic expectation of the show

On 2/1/2023 at 11:18 PM, KingStoneheart said:

As I mentioned above, there’s so much happening in the Reach and Crownlands (a lot of which will probably be brushed over as it is) and nothing that happens between Joanna and the Red Kraken actually has any impact on the story until Alyn Velaryon goes there AFTER the Dance of the Dragons.

If House of the Dragon does something with Aegon III after he becomes king (I suspect the Dance storyline will end with roughly 4 seasons and end with Cregan Stark killing the Clubfoot and Corlys dying), then yes both characters would be in the show eventually.

Based on how certain things were handled in GoT (purely based on screen time and how to please viewers without over complicating things) then the Greyjoy invasion will only be mentioned.

I completely agree with all that the Hairy Bear says above. The show is set around King’s Landing and the war between Rhaenerya and Aegon and everything that will be shown is things that directly impact that storyline.

I’m not trying to say that seeing the war between Joanna and Dalton would not be cool, I’m just trying to have a realistic expectation of the show

Don't base anything on the choices made on GoT, since D&D have nothing to do with HotD, fortunately.

It's a civil war and it's definitely not a small scale affair centered around KL and nothing else. They actually have a good budget, they are not rushing to finish the show to go do Star Warsl and, unlike D&D, they understand that themes exist. 

Edited by Annara Snow

• 6 months later...