George R. R. Martin on The Unsullied

From our favorite author himself.  Listen to what George said about Dany's Unsullied soldiers.  This should put away all doubts as to how well they will do in Westeros.  The Unsullied will be superb in battle.  They will be better with the addition of the Dothraki.  Dany will have the advantage in battle in Westeros.  

The arguments that The Unsullied are ineffective soldiers do not hold water.  

Edited by Only 89 selfies today

GRRM calls them 'potent soldiers' and says they would give an advantage (at the heart of an army, implying they would need to be supported).

What he does not say, and what people on the other thread were claiming, is that the Unsullied will demolish with ease anyone they come up against. Aside from all the other things people have mentioned, there are too few of them to do that. And it would be bad writing.

2 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

They will be better with the addition of the Dothraki. 

The Dothraki aren't even mentioned in this video...

Another thing that's interesting is that GRRM mentions they 'live for the unit'. But I wonder how long that will last. Daenerys is giving them more freedom to explore, and choose their own names, even to try and find love. So I would expect that soon enough they would have something else than just the unit to live for.

7 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

From our favorite author himself.  Listen to what George said about Dany's Unsullied soldiers.  This should put away all doubts as to how well they will do in Westeros.  The Unsullied will be superb in battle.  They will be better with the addition of the Dothraki.  Dany will have the advantage in battle in Westeros.  

Well done.  That settles the debate for me.  Daenerys will bring a very formidable force to Westeros consisting of Unsullied and Dothraki.  

4 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

GRRM calls them 'potent soldiers' and says they would give an advantage (at the heart of an army, implying they would need to be supported).

What he does not say, and what people on the other thread were claiming, is that the Unsullied will demolish with ease anyone they come up against. Aside from all the other things people have mentioned, there are too few of them to do that. And it would be bad writing.

Another thing that's interesting is that GRRM mentions they 'live for the unit'. But I wonder how long that will last. Daenerys is giving them more freedom to explore, and choose their own names, even to try and find love. So I would expect that soon enough they would have something else than just the unit to live for.

To be fair it always went without saying theyd need to be supported , dany had barely under 10k.of them and thats before the mereen  insurrection...even before we talk testosterone, armour,weapons or tactics its simply  too small a force to do anything in westeros on its own!!

4 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

All good soldiers live for the unit.  Loyalty to comrades is the strongest bond among soldiers.  Prior to that, they were expected to live for their masters. 

That's why, in practice, slave soldiers will eventually turn against their masters.  They develop strong bonds with each other, and come to realise that the masters need them, far more than they need the masters. 

39 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

To be fair it always went without saying theyd need to be supported , dany had barely under 10k.of them and thats before the mereen  insurrection...even before we talk testosterone, armour,weapons or tactics its simply  too small a force to do anything in westeros on its own!!

To all people being reasonable or logical, yes. However I am almost certain that some parties will use this to 'prove' their claims that Daenerys can take Westeros with Unsullied alone.

32 minutes ago, SeanF said:

All good soldiers live for the unit.  Loyalty to comrades is the strongest bond among soldiers.  Prior to that, they were expected to live for their masters. 

I think that because Danerys is giving them more freedoms they will soon have more to live for than just their unit.

34 minutes ago, SeanF said:

That's why, in practice, slave soldiers will eventually turn against their masters.  They develop strong bonds with each other, and come to realise that the masters need them, far more than they need the masters. 

That doesn't seem to have happened in the ~400 years the Unsullied were being produced though. It doesn't seemed to have happened anywhere with slavery so far.

I suppose a little thought their  about uses

their ability  to climb mountains at night (ridiculous) would be useful for taking forts/castles by suprise in the dark!

We can assume theit ability to march at speed without  tireing would be useful (occupy favourable positions on battleground before enemy arrive) and to form various formations at  the drop of of a hat.

Their level of individual skill and skill at moving and fighting as a unit should be amazing due to their stupidly  intense training.

The new ghis legions do form squares capable of troubling knights (w of winter exerts) so we can assume our eunchs can too and at the sort of speed  youd expect from a lifetime.of nothing but training

The '3 spears + short sword  thing' is confusing , closest i can think of is  i had read of the evolution of romes  legionares using pilums to darts but along the way various heavier germanic throwing spears were introduced (as the legions took in more of their former enemies)and later legions  may have used one fixed heavy fighting spear and held  2   throwing ones in their sheild (possibly with differing weights for different distances so the legion advanced with  the heavier spears thrown at shorter distance)

Edited by astarkchoice

14 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

OK, so Martin doesn't know history he is basing things on. Well, it is his story - and as I have said, what gets me up in the arms is primarily the fact that so many people read stories like his and then think "this is how it really was". But even so, "advantage" does not mean "unstoppable" the way people in other threads had been claiming.

18 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

Yup. Robert's fear of the Dothraki and now this confirmation from GM of the superiority of the Unsullied are proof that they are able to deliver victories for Dany when she gets to Westeros. 

Edited by Here's Looking At You, Kid

3 hours ago, Aldarion said:

OK, so Martin doesn't know history he is basing things on. Well, it is his story - and as I have said, what gets me up in the arms is primarily the fact that so many people read stories like his and then think "this is how it really was". But even so, "advantage" does not mean "unstoppable" the way people in other threads had been claiming.

Ok, correct.  Advantage does not mean unstoppable.  But the question was how would the Dothraki and the Unsullied do in Westeros based on the data that we have.  They would do well, based on the data.  But yeah, sure, anything can happen.  The Children could pull a miracle and raise giants.  GM could bring in a yet unknown element like ice spiders.  No guarantee of victory just a prediction that they will do well.  :)

Meereen, Qarth, and Volantis are fat with gold.  The Freedmen will happily make generous donations to Her Majesty's armies and employ every available armorer for the needs of her troops.  We already know that the Return will happen in the future.  Years from now.  There is ample time to build weapons and armor for the Unsullied.  

On 10/24/2022 at 11:32 PM, Only 89 selfies today said:

The Unsullied and the khalasars will claim Westeros for Daenerys.  I just do not see any army on Westeros who are strong enough to win against them.  They have trained every day for ten years.  All of the weak among them have been culled.  The Dothraki are the best riders and second only to the Summer Islanders in archery. 

On 10/25/2022 at 6:54 AM, SeanF said:

Volantis and Qarth will see a revolution. 

On 10/25/2022 at 6:44 AM, astarkchoice said:

Westeros is not going to have many fit men of the right age available.  Winter and war has ravaged the land.  People are dying on the battlefields.  The Unsullied will have the Dothraki to help them.  Two or three large khalasars will be more than Westeros could handle.

15 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Westeros is not going to have many fit men of the right age available.  Winter and war has ravaged the land.  People are dying on the battlefields.  The Unsullied will have the Dothraki to help them.  Two or three large khalasars will be more than Westeros could handle.

The strength of dorne is still untapped , about half the north ,westerlands and riverlands and stormlands strength still there and alllmost all the crownlands. The ironborn has jsut started their warfare and the reachs manpowwr was barely touched in the war