Three quarters of the way done

cytherea

Earlier today, GRRM claims that he's three quarters of the way done with WoW.

How are your hopes doing for the completion of the story? Can we still maybe get our hopes up on reading it in 2023?

I know many have been waiting longer but dang it's been a good ten years since I started............. Would be GREAT to someday read the last page ;u;

55 minutes ago, cytherea said:

How are your hopes doing for the completion of the story? Can we still maybe get our hopes up on reading it in 2023?

I know many have been waiting longer but dang it's been a good ten years since I started............. Would be GREAT to someday read the last page ;u;

That’s good . Maybe we will even get it by end of this year

1 hour ago, cytherea said:

It's his story and I cannot fault him for taking a long time because he's gone so in-detail, and I suspect that the reaction to the show's final 2 seasons probably did influence him to some degree.  Sometimes when growing a garden you need to spray for weeds, replant, etc.

So he's 2/3rds finished writing it.  It's been a decade since the last book so if he continued at the same pace, that means we can expect approximately 913 more days till he's finished, and then however long it takes to get it edited and published.  I think 1000 more days is a fair estimate....unless he more heavily focuses on the book.  I don't see any indication of that, so I think another 3 years is probably a fair estimate.

That timeline seems to match up quite well with the end of the second season of House of the Dragon.  If the goal is to produce a steady stream of in-world storytelling, launching WoW shortly after the end of the second season of HOTD makes sense.  So, that'd be my guess.  Winter of '25.

I'd say anywhere between 2024 and 2026. With GRRM, it's best to assume he'll take more time than you expected.

32 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Can you share where the update was given please. I want to see more for myself 

720p_GRRM_Winds_Clip (streamable.com)

Lol this guy is bad with deadlines. I will believe it once I get the book in my hands. If its taken 11 years for it to be done 3/4th done, then we can expect a 2025 release

3 hours ago, cytherea said:

Well, time to slow down on my re-read and pace myself a little :).

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

A Dream of Spring on the other hand...

Will be in your hands before 2025 if things go smoothly. 
I haven’t written many novels but I know that it’s extremely stressful to write one if you have

1) Half your fans demanding the book quickly as if it’s your job to please them

2) Another half predicting your death

3) A Stupid show which messed up your books and is hated by your fans who still want you to keep elements of that show in your book

8 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Will be in your hands before 2025 if things go smoothly. 
I haven’t written many novels but I know that it’s extremely stressful to write one if you have

1) Half your fans demanding the book quickly as if it’s your job to please them

2) Another half predicting your death

3) A Stupid show which messed up your books and is hated by your fans who still want you to keep elements of that show in your book

How will dream be finished before 2025 ? Twow is taking more than 11 years 

7 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

GRRM has no legal obligation to the readers but I imagine that he does have some sort of contract with his publisher to finish the book within a reasonable timeframe.

Or to at least publish something. So we'll probably get a book of 'Westeros Castles and their Architecture' sometime next year with an extra 400,000 words from GRRM even though they only asked for 5,000 but he got carried away. The procrastination gremlins are insidious!

Progress reports on TWOW have been coming out for best part of a decade so don't get your expectations up for anything any time soon.  ADWD was published in July 2011 and a lot of the material for winds was supposed to have already been written at that point.  If he's about 3/4 done after 11+ years then hit me up in 2027 about a publication date :P

1 hour ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Or to at least publish something. So we'll probably get a book of 'Westeros Castles and their Architecture' sometime next year with an extra 400,000 words from GRRM even though they only asked for 5,000 but he got carried away. The procrastination gremlins are insidious!

It may be reasonable to expect that the contract was with regards to a specific series. However if the publisher is making enough money regardless they likely won't care to enforce it, so long as something is produced, as you say, and it makes them money.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It may be reasonable to expect that the contract was with regards to a specific series. However if the publisher is making enough money regardless they likely won't care to enforce it, so long as something is produced, as you say, and it makes them money.

I believe GRRM was contracted to deliver a certain amount of material prior to publication.  It's why we have all the TWOW sample chapters from a few years back.  Nothing about the delivery of a final completed manuscript though as how can you put a deadline on a creative process?

2 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

I believe GRRM was contracted to deliver a certain amount of material prior to publication.  It's why we have all the TWOW sample chapters from a few years back.  Nothing about the delivery of a final completed manuscript though as how can you put a deadline on a creative process?

Not a deadline per se, but if you are paid money to write a series then I would think it is expected by the publisher that the series will be finished at some point (barring exceptional circumstances). The publisher won't want an incomplete series.

Archived