Three quarters of the way done

cytherea

9 hours ago, Ring3r said:

GRRM is the second most successful fantasy writer in the last 30 years

Out of curiosity who is #1?

5 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I've also read somewhere that Mr. Martin has stipulated that in the event of his passing before ASoIaF is finished; he has not appointed anyone else to finish the series.  

That being said; I sincerely and deeply hope that Mr. Martin proves me wrong.

I agree and also hope to be proved wrong.  For a long time Robert Jordan was adamant that only he would finish The Wheel of Time before relenting.  It's morbid to discuss it but I imagine GRRM would act similarly.

36 minutes ago, Talking Hodor said:

He's clearly written too much to ever fit in a giant oversized novel. He should just find a stopping point, deliver what he has to be published, and move the rest to book 7. Who doesn't like a cliffhanger?

I think that's all true, but I'm also quite certain that he doesn't know how to wrap up half of the plotlines and character arcs he's written.

He said it so himself in that interview, he's been scrapping entire chapters and rewriting them completely.

IMO all went to hell with the 5 year gap not happening. After ASOS, he's released 2 ASOIAF novels in 22 years. He made the first 3 in 4 years.

Thankfully peoples' predictions of GRRM's demise proved as correct as their TWOW release predictions. Truth be told GRRM has no reason to die soon (I mean he can, but anyone can at any age) he is super rich, nonsmoker and how he shrugged off COVID shows he is in excellent general health, he is obese, sure, but so is Henry Kissinger much older man who certainly had more stressful life. Just as likely he could live to be a 100 and still not finish the TWOW.

And ADOS WILL be easier to write, he knows the ending, he has thought about the ending for 30 years, if TWOW fulfills his original intent of converging the POVs and storylines it will eliminate some of his most stubborn writing obstacles with all the pieces in place for the streamlined march to already planned ending.

But I would support completely if he, alive and well, sought to bring on another writer whose work he would than inspect and edit. GRRM is more of an ideas guy for me, his plots and characters are intricate and complex, symbolism multilayered and lore often shown not just told, but generally his prose is good at best and getting worse as the time goes by. Jumping from crude to overwrought, with annoying repeated quirks, it's not something you would read to see an example of tight, flowing and technically spotless writing. Sometimes you read something and you have to marvel not at what was said but how it's said, GRRM doesn't do that, even though his what was said more than makes up for it.

5 hours ago, Tygett Lannister said:

If writting a book is mathematical function then we will get it in 4.5 years so 2026/7.

2022-2011=11/0.75=4.666...

I would not do this kind of maths. His writing is not monotonic. He nearly as much scrap as he writes, sometimes more. As far as we know, he may had 5 chapters left a week ago. Then he scraped 15. Tomorrow, he may finish one, or scrap 5 more.

I was never more true than with him: done when it will be done.

5 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

And ADOS WILL be easier to write, he knows the ending, he has thought about the ending for 30 years, if TWOW fulfills his original intent of converging the POVs and storylines it will eliminate some of his most stubborn writing obstacles with all the pieces in place for the streamlined march to already planned ending.

Yes. That is what I think. The closer he is to the END, the less opportunities he has to change and innovate. TWOW is his last chance to significantly change the story. Lot of irreversible decisions to take. So why he is so much wavering.

But we were also expecting that, after ADWD and the Meereen's Knot, things would go faster.:dunno::bang::bawl:

34 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

*cough* Brandon Sanderson *cough*

Did a pretty good job of writing the last book in The Wheel of Time.  Which actually turned out to be three.  It can be done.

I don't know who you're talking about and I've never read the Wheel of Time. Watched about 10 minutes of the tv show though.

With all due respect to the man and whoever may finish ASOIAF in the tragic event of a GRRM demise, even if it's a better piece of writing that Martin would have done himself I wouldn't want someone else's story grafted onto the one I've been reading.  Let's be honest here. Whoever does it isn't going to have spent as much time thinking about the story as many of us who are regulars on this page- they're worried about their own material. There will be inconsistencies - yes there are a few already but they're factual inconsistencies not thematic. Are you going to let Brandon Sanderson tell you who wrote the pink letter? If you don't like his answer will it be as valid for you as an answer you didn't like that came from Martin?  What about the motifs? Martin is pacing something out with his moons and his stars and his animals and I don't trust someone else to sufficiently decipher it, let alone continue it into DoS.

To each their own, but I wouldn't be able to accept someone else's ending as anything other than fan fic, no matter how well written it is. I want Martin's story in as complete a telling as possible, but I don't want someone else's. If that means I have to settle for an incomplete work I'll learn to live with it.

9 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Out of curiosity who is #1?

J.K. Rowling. Granted, Tolkien may have still outsold GRRM even after he passed.

Stephen King is neck-and-neck with JKR, but most of his work isn’t technically fantasy.

George apparently also confirmed that they’re still doing the Sea Snake show (although I haven’t seen a quote), but I find it unlikely. S1 of HOTD didn’t do enough to make viewers excited for more Corlys. 

1 hour ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I wouldn't want someone else's story grafted onto the one I've been reading.

Yeah. I would prefer 1000 times a note by GRRM, long or short, telling what was his plan and his meaning. Rather than something written by some guy, who has only his own preferences for guideline. Even if he had a general description and notes by GRRM, I would prefer this description to the personal preferences of someone else.

ETA: And what I hate is when they say they kept the spirit of the author while they are just inserting their own interpretation of the story.

22 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

J.K. Rowling. Granted, Tolkien may have still outsold GRRM even after he passed.

Stephen King is neck-and-neck with JKR, but most of his work isn’t technically fantasy.

George apparently also confirmed that they’re still doing the Sea Snake show (although I haven’t seen a quote), but I find it unlikely. S1 of HOTD didn’t do enough to make viewers excited for more Corlys. 

I don't think that either a Nymeria/1000 Ships or a Sea Snake series will fly in terms of ratings.  Much as I adore current TV-Corlys (and I do!  He is one of my two favorite characters in House of the Dragon), I think the general TV audience for Game of Thrones and HoD associates these shows with Dragons and Iron Throne intrigue rather than Sinbad-the-Sailor-exploring-Planetos.

What I cannot understand is why HBO does not do a miniseries on Aegon's Conquest - it would be fantastic!  It's got excitement, battles, dragons (Dracarys! all over the place), romance (not just Aegon & Sisters, Orys Baratheon and Argella Durrandon).  I would just love to watch the gazillion Kingdoms become Seven by force; not to mention the meeting of Aegon Targaryen and Torrhen Stark, the bloodless taking of the Eyrie...

30 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I don't think that either a Nymeria/1000 Ships or a Sea Snake series will fly in terms of ratings.  Much as I adore current TV-Corlys (and I do!  He is one of my two favorite characters in House of the Dragon), I think the general TV audience for Game of Thrones and HoD associates these shows with Dragons and Iron Throne intrigue rather than Sinbad-the-Sailor-exploring-Planetos.

What I cannot understand is why HBO does not do a miniseries on Aegon's Conquest - it would be fantastic!  It's got excitement, battles, dragons (Dracarys! all over the place), romance (not just Aegon & Sisters, Orys Baratheon and Argella Durrandon).  I would just love to watch the gazillion Kingdoms become Seven by force; not to mention the meeting of Aegon Targaryen and Torrhen Stark, the bloodless taking of the Eyrie...

I think the problem is how one-sided it is. Aegon basically just plowed through Westeros with little difficulty.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, any ASoIaF show would be better than The Incredible Adventures of Jon Snow (and I bet) & his sidekick Tormund. 

I am calling that farce "The Jon Snow Show." I will keep calling it that no matter what the actual title ends up being. Because that is the most accurate description of what it is.

7 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

I am calling that farce "The Jon Snow Show." I will keep calling it that no matter what the actual title ends up being. Because that is the most accurate description of what it is.

Ugh I can’t even think about it. And it does my head in… what is the point? Why, oh why. :bang:

Also, we know it will be total fanfic + fan service. :ack:

So I’ll use your title with a twist: The Jon Snow Shit Show. And I will never ever go anywhere near it, obviously. 

2 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I don't know who you're talking about and I've never read the Wheel of Time. Watched about 10 minutes of the tv show though.

That show was boring AF. 

21 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Also, we know it will be total fanfic + fan service. :ack:

My conclusions about the timeline of the show, to be completely honest:depends on my mood of the day, and even then, there won't be much variation. 

Pessimistic mood: doom and gloom

Good mood: errr, less doom and gloom. 

2 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That show was boring AF. 

My conclusions about the timeline of the show, to be completely honest:depends on my mood of the day, and even then, there won't be much variation. 

Pessimistic mood: doom and gloom

Good mood: errr, less doom and gloom. 

Doom and gloom as in, that’s how you feel about it? Or the show will be a doom and gloom fest? :D

My money is on total shameless fan service, and we know the plot/story cannot be anything other than fan fic. Yikes. And again, WHY? 
And taking into consideration show!Jon, I’m willing to bet good money they’ll turn it into a buddy duo à la Lethal Weapon and so many others. And yes, My money is also on Morose Jon & Sloshed Tormund [or another sidekick serving the same purpose].

Archived