Three quarters of the way done

cytherea

11 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Out of curiosity who is #1?

I agree and also hope to be proved wrong.  For a long time Robert Jordan was adamant that only he would finish The Wheel of Time before relenting.  It's morbid to discuss it but I imagine GRRM would act similarly.

J.K. Rowling. In terms of sales and overall success, GRRM isn't even close yet - the Harry Potter books have sold well over 500 million copies.  ASoIaF is just under 100 million in total sales.

4 minutes ago, Ring3r said:

J.K. Rowling. In terms of sales and overall success, GRRM isn't even close yet - the Harry Potter books have sold well over 500 million copies.  ASoIaF is just under 100 million in total sales.

Harry Potter is a simple, straightforward children's fantasy book series. It's much easier for it to outsell ASOIAF because ASOIAF is multifaceted fantasy/horror literature for very high-functioning, mature audiences.

22 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Harry Potter is a simple, straightforward children's fantasy book series. It's much easier for it to outsell ASOIAF because ASOIAF is multifaceted fantasy/horror literature for very high-functioning, mature audiences.

No argument from me there, obviously I think ASoIaF is head and shoulders better in basically every way.  I was just answering the trees have eyes.....technically harry potter is significantly more successful and popular.  The audience is much wider....children right through adults.

14 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I don't know who you're talking about and I've never read the Wheel of Time. Watched about 10 minutes of the tv show though.

With all due respect to the man and whoever may finish ASOIAF in the tragic event of a GRRM demise, even if it's a better piece of writing that Martin would have done himself I wouldn't want someone else's story grafted onto the one I've been reading.  Let's be honest here. Whoever does it isn't going to have spent as much time thinking about the story as many of us who are regulars on this page- they're worried about their own material. There will be inconsistencies - yes there are a few already but they're factual inconsistencies not thematic. Are you going to let Brandon Sanderson tell you who wrote the pink letter? If you don't like his answer will it be as valid for you as an answer you didn't like that came from Martin?  What about the motifs? Martin is pacing something out with his moons and his stars and his animals and I don't trust someone else to sufficiently decipher it, let alone continue it into DoS.

To each their own, but I wouldn't be able to accept someone else's ending as anything other than fan fic, no matter how well written it is. I want Martin's story in as complete a telling as possible, but I don't want someone else's. If that means I have to settle for an incomplete work I'll learn to live with it.

They're both successful fantasy / sci-fi authors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson

Robert Jordan's widow asked Sanderson to finish the series.  He worked from the author's copious notes and the story was most certainly still as Jordan outlined it, just written on page by a different, but highly skilled, author.  No fan-fic, no creative licence to write his own version, just a master craftsman finishing the work of another master craftsman based on his design. 

I would expect the same for ASOIAF if it came to it: BS wouldn't tell us who he imagined wrote the pink letter because GRRM knows and so would he.  And BS is both prolific and has shown how he can deliver a satisfying ending to another author's story.  Leaving a major work unfinished, particularly if the audience has been invested in it for over 20 years, is really unsatisfactory.

But then I have the advantage of having seen how BS finished WoT so I don't have the same worries you do.  All hypothetical - let's hope for GRRM to deliver.

26 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

GRRM said he'll do it and no-one else and that should be enough

For many years RJ said the same

26 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Sanderson is particularly unsuitable as he's a Mormon and basically by his own admission not interested/comfortable with much ASOIAF subject matter.

Fair enough.  I guess that rules him out.

There are some excerpts floating around online from the interview, and at one point GRRM was asked which FnB characters he’d like to write more about. He mentioned both the Dragonknight and Aegon IV, which makes me excited for pt. 2 (IIRC, a lot of material for Aegon the Unworthy’s reign was cut from TWOIAF). He said he also wishes he wrote more about Harwin and Rhaenyra which, yeah, George, join the club. Some of us have been saying that for years ;)

He also confirmed that he loves the Blackwoods lol.

18 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Doom and gloom as in, that’s how you feel about it? Or the show will be a doom and gloom fest? :D

My money is on total shameless fan service, and we know the plot/story cannot be anything other than fan fic. Yikes. And again, WHY? 
And taking into consideration show!Jon, I’m willing to bet good money they’ll turn it into a buddy duo à la Lethal Weapon and so many others. And yes, My money is also on Morose Jon & Sloshed Tormund [or another sidekick serving the same purpose].

The wacky adventures of Jon, Tormund, and a bunch of hot wildling chicks.

21 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, any ASoIaF show would be better than The Incredible Adventures of Jon Snow (and I bet) & his sidekick Tormund. 

The only way that they can do justice to Jon Snow is remaking all the tv show...or create a 7 part movie saga with new actors.

By the time HOTD ends GOT would be close to fifteen years old anyway.

Archived