Three quarters of the way done

cytherea

7 minutes ago, Saint Saga said:

The only way that they can do justice to Jon Snow is remaking all the tv show...or create a 7 part movie saga with new actors.

By the time HOTD ends GOT would be close to fifteen years old anyway.

Remaking the whole abomination is the only way to do justice to ASoIaF, full stop. 

On 10/25/2022 at 12:28 AM, cytherea said:

Earlier today, GRRM claims that he's three quarters of the way done with WoW.

How are your hopes doing for the completion of the story? Can we still maybe get our hopes up on reading it in 2023?

I know many have been waiting longer but dang it's been a good ten years since I started............. Would be GREAT to someday read the last page ;u;

George Martin has other projects going which are more lucrative.  I love the books and it is what started it all.  It is the definitive story to me.  It is too bad those projects for HBO have changed the priority for George.  

It will be decades before they remake GOT, if they do it at all, which I doubt. It remains the most succesful TV show in history, no matter how badly it ended. HBO is focused on HOTD now, and it's paying off for them. People thought no one was going to watch it after GOT Season 8 and it's just been the opposite.

There are millions of people who didn't watch GOT that are starting to watch it now.

In fact, the Jon Snow spin-off got the approval from Martin. He mentioned it on his blog IIRC.

I take HBO will try and launch an ASOIAF Cinematic Universe of sorts. The Sea Snake spin-off is also on the works.

23 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

It will be decades before they remake GOT, if they do it at all, which I doubt. It remains the most succesful TV show in history, no matter how badly it ended. HBO is focused on HOTD now, and it's paying off for them. People thought no one was going to watch it after GOT Season 8 and it's just been the opposite.

There are millions of people who didn't watch GOT that are starting to watch it now.

In fact, the Jon Snow spin-off got the approval from Martin. He mentioned it on his blog IIRC.

I take HBO will try and launch an ASOIAF Cinematic Universe of sorts. The Sea Snake spin-off is also on the works.

Yikes. And yikes, yikes, and more yikes. 

24 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yikes. And yikes, yikes, and more yikes. 

Here's the post from Martin's blog

He basically admits it's all true, that it was Kit's idea, it's been in development as long as the other ones, and Martin says he liked it.

He also confirms there are 4 more spin offs in development, but I read yesterday that the Sea Snake one is the only actually on the final stages of pre-production. Snow will take longer it seems.

Anyway, it seems to me Martin likes the idea of his work coming to life on TV. That's one of the main reasons why I'm kind of skeptical he'll finish the books at all. He's involved and working with HBO and he's more than okay with it:

Various rumors are floating around about my involvement, or lack of same.   I am involved, just as I am with THE HEDGE KNIGHT and THE SEA SNAKE and TEN THOUSAND SHIPS, and all the animated shows.   Kit’s team have visited me here in Santa Fe and worked with me and my own team of brilliant, talented writer/ consultants to hammer out the show.

8 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Here's the post from Martin's blog

He basically admits it's all true, that it was Kit's idea, it's been in development as long as the other ones, and Martin says he liked it.

He also confirms there are 4 more spin offs in development, but I read yesterday that the Sea Snake one is the only actually on the final stages of pre-production. Snow will take longer it seems.

Anyway, it seems to me Martin likes the idea of his work coming to life on TV. He's more than okay with it:

Yeah, not news to me but cheers. 
And yes, he absolutely seems to be very happy about it all. And I suppose I can see why irt to shows based on his actual work, but the Jon Snow one will be pure fan fic and fan service, and it’s a head scratcher for me because he’s said so many times he hates fan fic w/ a fiery passion. Maybe if it is fan fic on HBO he doesn’t hate it quite so much. 

29 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I take the view that fanfic of ASOIAF is entirely legitimate, given that Ding & Dong were allowed to produce bad fanfic.  There is much better fanfic out there, than theirs.

Yeah, that bums me out a lot, because it's literally the same. Dante's Inferno being a classic doesn't stop it from being fanfiction at its finest, and "finest" is NOT a word that can be put into what they did with the show.

40 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I take the view that fanfic of ASOIAF is entirely legitimate, given that Ding & Dong were allowed to produce bad fanfic.  There is much better fanfic out there, than theirs.

Good points. 

40 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I… dread the Jon Snow show.  Not only will there be wacky adventures with Tormund and the wildling chicks, but the Seven Kingdoms will be flourishing under Bran the Broken, Cersei 2.0,  Sam the Incel, and Tyrion and Bronn opening new brothels.  The Slavers will be back in charge in the East, and that’s good, because they know how to run the economy.  And everyone will tell Jon he did right to seduce the Mad Queen to get an army, before putting her down like Old Yeller.

:bang:

12 hours ago, Ingelheim said:

GoT remake is coming in the next ten years or so, or alternatively just as the hype for ADOS gets hot if the book takes longer.

Most successful based on what? Viewership? Certainly not. Cultural impact? Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Twin Peaks, Friends redefined television, GoT is a bit more hyped premium TV show in the era of dozens of hyped premium TV shows.

Well it helps that HOTD is vastly superior in every regard and offers different perspective on source material appealing to fans in a way simple inferior retelling GoT aimed to do just can't

They will try that is for sure, but more they stray from core narrative, more punished they will get by viewership especially if quality isn't upped significantly. I don't care much for Sea Snake or Nymeria and especially YiTi, but if those happen to be at least HOTD level of television I would probably watch them.

I won't watch Jon Snow though, not because I dislike the premise, Jon or Kit, it's because I don't want to spoil the ending after weathering GoT run without doing so. And I mean existence of Jon Snow Show is spoiler in and of itself but what can you do.

3 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

I won't watch Jon Snow though, not because I dislike the premise, Jon or Kit, it's because I don't want to spoil the ending after weathering GoT run without doing so. And I mean existence of Jon Snow Show is spoiler in and of itself but what can you do.

It won’t be spoilerish though. It won’t be book!Jon’s story, b/c it simply can’t be - unless this is Martin saying, ‘I give up and won’t finish ASoIaF’, which I don’t think he is. Actually, if that were the case, I’d probably watch… check out one character arc while I wait for the rest. So, I think it will be much, much worse. It will be fanfic + fan service. Like, it will cover the ‘x amount of time’  that happens off page/off screen. My take is, it will be Jon’s adventures beyond the Wall, what happens immediately after where the abomination ended. And it won’t go into TWoW/ADoS territory. Yikes. 

25 minutes ago, frenin said:

You're kidding yourself.

This man better deliver F&B II, we all know he's not finishing this series.

How am I kidding myself?

He has publicly talked about how he is ~75% on multiple platforms...keep in mind that one of those platforms was arguably the most popular late night talk show in America.

6 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

GoT remake is coming in the next ten years or so, or alternatively just as the hype for ADOS gets hot if the book takes longer.

Most successful based on what? Viewership? Certainly not. Cultural impact? Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Twin Peaks, Friends redefined television, GoT is a bit more hyped premium TV show in the era of dozens of hyped premium TV shows.

Well it helps that HOTD is vastly superior in every regard and offers different perspective on source material appealing to fans in a way simple inferior retelling GoT aimed to do just can't

They will try that is for sure, but more they stray from core narrative, more punished they will get by viewership especially if quality isn't upped significantly. I don't care much for Sea Snake or Nymeria and especially YiTi, but if those happen to be at least HOTD level of television I would probably watch them.

GOT is:

-The most awarded TV Show in history (59 Emmy Wins, 4 Best Series one, not even counting the nearly 200 other awards it got xD)

-The most nominated TV Show in history (at the Emmys and SAGs and all of that)

-It was the largest cultural phenomenon of the decade.

-The highest viewership of HBO in history (the final seasons more than doubled the number of viewers The Sopranos had).

-Season 7 and 8 hold the records for highest viewership in the history of US Premium clable TV by an enormous large margin. It also holds the same record in nearly 50 different countries.

-The most expensive TV Show ever (by that time, now surpassed by TROP). The last two seasons cost more than 100 million dollars each.

-The most pirated TV Show in history. The latter seasons had more than a BILLION illegal downloads each.

-Peter Dinklage holds the record for which he won the  Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series of four times. No one has ever done that.

I know many people have problems with GOT (I think the last 2 seasons are absolute trash) or downright hate it, but it was what it was. The show's success led to the commissioning of several fantasy television series, including The Wheel of Time and The Rings of Power (not even counting HOTD itself). GOT was infinitely more successful than Friends, Star Trek, or any other TV Show ever. By a gigantic margin. 

All those records I mentioned, you can look them up if you don't believe them. They are all true. 

So no, it's not been remade in the next decade. Not when they won't even be finished with HOTD by that time.

1 minute ago, BlackLightning said:

How am I kidding myself?

He has publicly talked about how he is ~75% on multiple platforms...keep in mind that one of those platforms was arguably the most popular late night talk show in America.

Not to intrude, but I think the point is he's given the impression that's he's nearly done a number of times before.  I vividly recall how he expected to publish Winds before the show overtook him and how he was going to park other projects, lock himself away and dedicate himself to writing it.  Not blaming him, just saying he tends towards optimism and likes to give good news, but he has a history of getting ahead of himself.

3 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

GOT is:

-The most awarded TV Show in history (59 Emmy Wins, 4 Best Series one, not even counting the nearly 200 other awards it got xD)

-The most nominated TV Show in history (at the Emmys and SAGs and all of that)

-It was the largest cultural phenomenon of the decade.

-The highest viewership of HBO in history (the final seasons more than doubled the number of viewers The Sopranos had).

I know many people have problems with GOT (I think the last 2 seasons are absolutely trash) but it was what it was. The show's success led to the commissioning of several fantasy television series, including The Wheel of Time and The Rings of Power (not even counting HOTD itself)

And therein lies the problem for ASOIAF.  GRRM can reach a far large audience on TV, share the creative process with collaborators, work on multiple projects at once and really bring his world, it's history and characters to life.  More appealing than plodding along a page a day with a story he already knows the ending for but not how to get to, surely?

16 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

And therein lies the problem for ASOIAF.  GRRM can reach a far large audience on TV, share the creative process with collaborators, work on multiple projects at once and really bring his world, it's history and characters to life.  More appealing than plodding along a page a day with a story he already knows the ending for but not how to get to, surely?

Martin won't finish the books in time, I don't know how people are deluding themselves at this point when we are two months away from 2023. He's been writting TWOW for nearly 12 years now, and he is going to release it at the end of this decade by his own estimations, 2026-27.

He even mentioned he focused on F&B more than TWOW because he wanted to release it before they started pre production for HOTD. 

I've made my peace with that years ago. He's released 2 ASOIAF books in 22 years, when he got the first 3 out in 3 years. He doesn't know how to finish the story, that's just what it is.

Archived