Three quarters of the way done

cytherea

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The two D’s were pro-slavery.

That makes it hard to view any sequel sympathetically.

Of course they were. Makes sense that they looooved Tywin & Cersei so much. The more of a ruthless, heartless arsehole, the better. :ack:

17 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

How am I kidding myself?

He has publicly talked about how he is ~75% on multiple platforms...keep in mind that one of those platforms was arguably the most popular late night talk show in America.

He has said a ton of shit over the years.

On 10/28/2022 at 7:30 PM, Ingelheim said:

-The most awarded TV Show in history (59 Emmy Wins, 4 Best Series one, not even counting the nearly 200 other awards it got xD)

-It was the largest cultural phenomenon of the decade.

-The highest viewership of HBO in history (the final seasons more than doubled the number of viewers The Sopranos had).

-Season 7 and 8 hold the records for highest viewership in the history of US Premium clable TV by an enormous large margin. It also holds the same record in nearly 50 different countries.

-The most expensive TV Show ever (by that time, now surpassed by TROP). The last two seasons cost more than 100 million dollars each.

-The most pirated TV Show in history. The latter seasons had more than a BILLION illegal downloads each.

-Peter Dinklage holds the record for which he won the  Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series of four times. No one has ever done that.

I know many people have problems with GOT (I think the last 2 seasons are absolute trash) or downright hate it, but it was what it was. The show's success led to the commissioning of several fantasy television series, including The Wheel of Time and The Rings of Power (not even counting HOTD itself). GOT was infinitely more successful than Friends, Star Trek, or any other TV Show ever. By a gigantic margin. 

All those records I mentioned, you can look them up if you don't believe them. They are all true. 

So no, it's not been remade in the next decade. Not when they won't even be finished with HOTD by that time.

Aside from the fact award shows are pointless circle-jerk pageantry full of politics, guild and general, and as such literally mean nothing, it's still tied with the likes of West Wing and Hill Street Blues by the number of Best Drama Emmy awards. And you have like 10 different Emmy awards (Primetime, Daytime, Children's & Family, Sports, News & Documentary, Technology & Engineering, Primetime Engineering, Regional and International) and Primetime splits everything into Comedy and Drama.

That is bullshit and I would be ashamed to utter something so inane and ill considered, even as American pop-entertainment phenomenon it is  behind at least the MCU and new Star Wars.

You are forgetting how many more people have access to HBO now as opposed to 20 years ago, especially in Europe and Asia.

Now you are straight up lying since The Walking Dead is the most watched in both single episode and in aggregate.

Doesn't mean shit and you know it just mentioning it to have something to write.

Billion, why not say Gazillion while you are at it, it literally can be true use your brain what every household in the world downloaded GoT episode? You can't get data for piracy in that manner it's gas-lighting by the HBO corporate if they really said that.

Again awards don't mean jack shit and even if they did, plenty of similar cases, btw Julia Louis-Dreyfus has 7 for LEAD Comedy Actor, so Veep is the best TV show of all times (better than GoT that is for sure).

It didn't lead to that don't be silly, TROP is Bezos' pet project. Again it is not and you can shout otherwise as long as you please.

As we have established they are not.

Even if your argument was correct, and it clearly isn't, it would only be a bigger incentive to remake it. HOTD is planned to be 3-4 seasons long, so there will be time.

1 hour ago, Equilibrium said:

Aside from the fact award shows are pointless circle-jerk pageantry full of politics, guild and general, and as such literally mean nothing, it's still tied with the likes of West Wing and Hill Street Blues by the number of Best Drama Emmy awards. And you have like 10 different Emmy awards (Primetime, Daytime, Children's & Family, Sports, News & Documentary, Technology & Engineering, Primetime Engineering, Regional and International) and Primetime splits everything into Comedy and Drama.

That is bullshit and I would be ashamed to utter something so inane and ill considered, even as American pop-entertainment phenomenon it is  behind at least the MCU and new Star Wars.

You are forgetting how many more people have access to HBO now as opposed to 20 years ago, especially in Europe and Asia.

Now you are straight up lying since The Walking Dead is the most watched in both single episode and in aggregate.

Doesn't mean shit and you know it just mentioning it to have something to write.

Billion, why not say Gazillion while you are at it, it literally can be true use your brain what every household in the world downloaded GoT episode? You can't get data for piracy in that manner it's gas-lighting by the HBO corporate if they really said that.

Again awards don't mean jack shit and even if they did, plenty of similar cases, btw Julia Louis-Dreyfus has 7 for LEAD Comedy Actor, so Veep is the best TV show of all times (better than GoT that is for sure).

It didn't lead to that don't be silly, TROP is Bezos' pet project. Again it is not and you can shout otherwise as long as you please.

As we have established they are not.

Even if your argument was correct, and it clearly isn't, it would only be a bigger incentive to remake it. HOTD is planned to be 3-4 seasons long, so there will be time.

Let's end this conversation here. You can look up every single fact I posted earlier on the GOT Wikipedia page, or any website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

GOT won 59 Primetime Emmys. The West Wing won 26. That's more than double. And in terms of nominations, GOT is miles ahead of any other show in history (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad,) by far. You can believe Awards don't mean shit, but that's just your opinion. I've heard people saying the LOTR didn't deserve 17 Oscars. Each to their own.

For example, Breaking Bad got 92 Awards and 248 nominations. The Sopranos, 91 awards and 308 nominations.

GOT, 272 and 757. That's three times the numbers. And Breaking Bad or The Sopranos are infinitely better shows than GOT (at least to me), but it is what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Game_of_Thrones

The billions dowloads is true, and you can look it up also. It's not a billion. It's MORE than a billion. And that's just for one season: https://mashable.com/article/game-of-thrones-piracy-illegal-downloads-season-7 

In fact, GOT remains the most pirated TV Show in 2022. 3 years after it ended: https://movieweb.com/game-of-thrones-most-pirated-2022/

GOT Season 7 and 8 also had more viewers than any The Walking Dead season. GOT has more than 10 Guiness Records and one of them is viewership: https://deadline.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-sets-guinness-world-records-parrot-analytics-1202606749/

I don't know why you get so...angry? about some random facts about the show but the reality is that GOT was and still is the most successful TV in history by a large margin. No other TV Show has ever come close to GOT in terms of cultural influence and success.

If you have any kind of problem with that, well, I don't know what else I can say. I know many people hated the show by the end and wished George had never sold the rights and focused on finishing the books, but saying that GOT is like any other show is coping and coping hard. And I didn't like the show by the ending and I think D&D shouldn't be able to work ever again on TV. But the facts about GOT are there. AAnd they aren't rebooting the show any time soon.

So let's end it here. Have a nice day.

@Ingelheim, that’s quite a long post for a conversation that’s supposed to ‘end here’, innit? :laugh:

I suppose ‘here’ means after I’ve gone on and on about how many awards the abomination got, and how massive its ratings were… But the points @Equilibriummade are valid, awards and ratings don’t mean great quality. As a matter of fact, you’re kind of making our points for us… because all those awards and massive ratings, and the show was total shite. :dunno:

I won’t derail this thread further, so I’ll show myself out. :leaving:

17 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

@Ingelheim, that’s quite a long post for a conversation that’s supposed to ‘end here’, innit? :laugh:

I suppose ‘here’ means after I’ve gone on and on about how many awards the abomination got, and how massive its ratings were… But the points @Equilibriummade are valid, awards and ratings don’t mean great quality. As a matter of fact, you’re kind of making our points for us… because all those awards and massive ratings, and the show was total shite. :dunno:

I won’t derail this thread further, so I’ll show myself out. :leaving:

People (the average viewer at home, and critics) didn't think GOT was total shite. On the contray, they thought it was brilliant, and they proved it. That's more or less my point. It had two bad seasons at the end, specially 8, which I think stained the whole legacy of the show. The first 4 are brilliant, and 5 and 6 have some problems but still have 3-4 extraordinarily brilliant episodes. Hardhome, The Winds of Winter, BotB, etc.

I know people hated it here (I rembember the meltdown with Sansa in Season 5) but we have to keep in mind we are some few hundreds of guys debating on an ASOIAF forum vs tens of millions of average viewers who loved it.

But my point is, HBO won't reboot GOT the same reason no one dares to reboot LOTR. Why would you do something so risky? You cannot top them in terms of awards and viewership (and at the end of the day, that's what drives the studios. This is a bussiness after all). At least not in the short term.

I don't doubt we'll see the idea of the reboot brought up in the future, but I'm sure it will be decades away from now.

They are basically focused on all the spin offs. And Martin is as well, and that will cost him time and energy which he could have used to finish TWOW. But it's his choice and I respect it, and if it makes him happy, then I'm glad for him. 

Martin comes from TV background at the end, and I'm sure he's really content with his work being made into quality TV. 

Oof.  I watched the video that his publishing company put out in the last 48 hours.  I wish I hadn't.  At the end of it they asked him the obvious question and, apart from telling us WoW was going to be longer than any of his other books....his body language. It was just....like he obviously hated even addressing the topic :(  He came off as tired, annoyed to even be asked.....I feel sorry for him, obviously the pressure must be just....so intense.  But....also.....I got hooked on this series after I binged every single book in a row in my down-time in between getting rocketed for 9 months in '11-'12....and now it's been over a decade. Write your fucking story man.

11 hours ago, Ingelheim said:

Let's end this conversation here. You can look up every single fact I posted earlier on the GOT Wikipedia page, or any website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

GOT won 59 Primetime Emmys. The West Wing won 26. That's more than double. And in terms of nominations, GOT is miles ahead of any other show in history (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad,) by far. You can believe Awards don't mean shit, but that's just your opinion. I've heard people saying the LOTR didn't deserve 17 Oscars. Each to their own.

For example, Breaking Bad got 92 Awards and 248 nominations. The Sopranos, 91 awards and 308 nominations.

GOT, 272 and 757. That's three times the numbers. And Breaking Bad or The Sopranos are infinitely better shows than GOT (at least to me), but it is what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Game_of_Thrones

The billions dowloads is true, and you can look it up also. It's not a billion. It's MORE than a billion. And that's just for one season: https://mashable.com/article/game-of-thrones-piracy-illegal-downloads-season-7 

In fact, GOT remains the most pirated TV Show in 2022. 3 years after it ended: https://movieweb.com/game-of-thrones-most-pirated-2022/

GOT Season 7 and 8 also had more viewers than any The Walking Dead season. GOT has more than 10 Guiness Records and one of them is viewership: https://deadline.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-sets-guinness-world-records-parrot-analytics-1202606749/

I don't know why you get so...angry? about some random facts about the show but the reality is that GOT was and still is the most successful TV in history by a large margin. No other TV Show has ever come close to GOT in terms of cultural influence and success.

If you have any kind of problem with that, well, I don't know what else I can say. I know many people hated the show by the end and wished George had never sold the rights and focused on finishing the books, but saying that GOT is like any other show is coping and coping hard. And I didn't like the show by the ending and I think D&D shouldn't be able to work ever again on TV. But the facts about GOT are there. AAnd they aren't rebooting the show any time soon.

So let's end it here. Have a nice day.

No my dude we will not end this here because you are arrogant and pretending to be know it all, while digging yourself deeper in the hole with fallacious arguments, telling us all what to think on the highly subjective topic like you got your opinion handed to you by God on stone tablets. You don't know me dude, you don't know am I angry or am I coping, and those words are just the showcase of your entire logic and argument.

Again awards don't mean shit especially when they are mostly for effects and other inconsequential stuff. Who won Oscar for best make up? Hardly anyone knows or cares.

So I read the article you linked and I am still laughing, appears to me you don't only lack proper logical reasoning but basic reading comprehension 

For many years, piracy has served as a huge problem for television networks hoping to get as many viewers as possible to watch their shows live. But despite every effort to combat online piracy, pirated video is still accounting for around 230 billion views a year.

That is general introduction to the topic my man, it means all pirated video had 230 billion views a year, not GoT and since billion is never again mentioned in an article you pulled the number out of your ass. And lets not kid ourselves their number is also pulled out of somebodies ass since they have no way of tracking or even correctly estimating the number of pirate views or downloads.

Oh I see you back into cultural analysis after making overly grandiose pronunciations last time. Pray tell me how did you measure the cultural impact of Game of Thrones and how did you factor in temporal endurance of such TV phenomenons like Twilight Zone, Star Trek or Friends to name a few in your analysis given that you have written them off in comparison with a recent TV show whose impact seems to be limited to a couple of direct spinoffs. Star Trek had by now thousands of dedicated conventions around the world, few conventions related to GoT started as and are primarily book focused. 

Parrot Analytics, a TV content analytics firm specializing in global audience demand measurement, partnered with Guinness World Records to chart the demand and declare it officially Most in-demand TV premiere.

Or in the other words clout chasing bullshit like much of the Marketing and PR focused analysis is. In the real world concerning things that can actually be measured GoT Viewers vs Walking Dead viewers As anyone can see WD has episodes with 17 million viewers and it's above 10 million for each episode for 5 whole seasons, while GoT max is 12 millions and it breaks 10 with 8 episodes.

Yeah the facts are out there somewhere, if only you bothered to check them. You are just talking nonsense, series in the last three seasons and especially in the last got both critical and popular backlash, it's not some shining gem of TV production, and despite the budget it does look like shit most of the time, even compared to much older shows of far more modest means. So HBO has every incentive to remake it and continue to profit of the same licence, and they will do that in the next 10-15 years if TV industry continues going strong, which isn't guaranteed right now. Why are you so opposed to the possibility though, especially given that your fallacious as they may be arguments about GoT's greatness don't really have the connection to that claim of yours.

But hey, have a nice day as well!

Archived