Which battles will be in the show [BOOK SPOILERS]

The Dance of Dragons had many battles across multiple locations. Not all will be shown. Make your predictions about which will be: A) shown in full, B) partially shown or mentioned through dialogue, C) completely forgotten. 

Here is a list of all the major battles, sieges, and location occupation along with my predictions. Major book spoilers are present.

1.      Daemon takes Harrenhal without a fight.

Prediction: fully shown in a quick scene. Daemon’s intent was already mentioned.

2.      The battle of the Burning Mill & fall of Stone Hedge – the Blackwoods victorious over the Brackens, but Sam Blackwood is killed.

Prediction: only mentioned.

3.      The sacking of Duskendale – the greens led by Criston Cole take Duskendale and kill Lord Darklyn.

Prediction: at best mentioned. We may get a head on a spike with Cole looking on.

4.      The battle of Rook’s Rest – green victory; death of Rhaenys and her dragon; Aegon II and his dragon severely wounded.

Prediction: partially shown; we’ll get the dragon fight, but likely little of the ground fighting.

5.      The battle of the Gullet and sack of Driftmark – preluded by the capture of prince Viserys by Lyseni; death of Jacaerys and his dragon; both the Velaryon fleet and the Triarchy fleet suffer significant losses.

Prediction: fully shown, it’s a major battle with a major death. The vaunted Velaryon fleet is left weakened.

6.      The battle of the Honeywine – the Hightower host defeats Rhaenrya’s supporters thanks to Daeron the Daring and his dragon.

Prediction: depends on Daeron being in the show; partially shown if yes, barely mentioned if no. Daeron earns his knighthood here.

7.      The second battle of Rook’s Rest – Lord Walys Mooton retakes Rook’s Rest but is killed when his men try to kill the wounded dragon Sunfyre; Sunfyre disappears.

Prediction: maybe the attempt to kill Sunfyre will be shown; but they could remove it completely and have Sunfyre simply disappear after the initial battle.

8.      The greens take Harrenhal – Cole and Aemond lead an army to take Harrenhal from Daemon only to find it abandoned.

Prediction: fully shown, not much budget required.

9.      Battle of the Red Fork – the Lannister host defeats an army of river lords as they push into the Riverlands, however Jason Lannister dies.

Prediction: mentioned, and Jason survives.

10.  Battle of Acorn Hall – the Lannister host scores another minor victory, but they once again lose their commander; the westerners march on, not besieging the castle.

Prediction: likely forgotten, at best mentioned.

11.  The Fishfeed – the bloodiest battle of the war, fought on the western shore of the God’s Eye; the Lannister host is destroyed by a combined army of rivermen and northmen.

Prediction: partially shown; Jason dies here; unless they can insert a major character, probably not much of it will be shown. (alternate prediction, see Butcher’s Ball)

12.  Fall of King’s Landing – with the city largely left defenseless, Rhaenyra and Daemon strike, taking it with little fighting; Alicent captured, Otto executed, but Aegon II and Larys escape.

Prediction: fully shown. END OF SEASON 2.

13.  Ironborn raids on the Westerlands – Dalton Greyjoy takes advantage of the Lannister weakness; he takes Fair Isle, Kayce, and sacks Lannisport; Lady Johanna Lannister closes Casterly Rock against the attacks.

Prediction: depends on the desired tightness of the story; there is opportunity to have another strong female character, and to remind the audience of the ironborn. At best, partially shown.

14.  The Butcher’s Ball – Cole’s army, trying to link up with the Hightowers, is ambushed by the blacks; death of Criston Cole and his army is destroyed.

Prediction: partially shown, Cole’s death yes, the rest likely not. Or…

This battle is mixed with the Fishfeed, in which case, we’ll get one major land battle at the end of season 2 with the death of Cole along with Jason Lannister.

Season 2 will likely end on a high note for the blacks.

15.  Aemond’s reign of terror in the Riverlands – Aemond starts burning towns and castles in the Riverlands with the hopes of goading the blacks to send a dragon after him; eventually Daemon and Nettles start hunting him.

Prediction: yes, a quick montage.

16.  Siege of Longtable – the Hightower host takes the castle of Longtable.

Prediction: forgotten, at best mentioned.

17.  Sack of Bitterbridge – in the aftermath of Prince Maelor’s death, Daeron the Daring and the Hightowers sack Bitterbridge.

Prediction: only if Maelor exists; I think he doesn’t so this will be forgotten.

18.  First battle of Tumbleton – the greens score a decisive victory over the blacks and sack the city thanks to the treachery of Hugh and Ulf; death of Ormund Hightower and Roddy the Ruin.

Prediction: fully shown; they won’t shy away from the sack and of course the Two Betrayers.

19.  Fall of Dragonstone – preluded by Sunfyre killing Grey Ghost; Aegon II takes Dragonstone by stealth, aided by those who hated Rhaenyra. Sunfyre is wounded even worse and is near death, while Baela’s dragon, Moondancer, is killed.

Prediction: likely follow the book by not giving the audience the events in real time. At best, there will be some hints of something amiss on Dragonstone.

20.  Battle above the God’s Eye – Daemon and Aemond meet in an aerial duel resulting in the death of both riders and their dragons.

Prediction: fully shown; death of two major characters. Will they have Daemon survive? I would like to think no.

21.   The King’s Landing riots and the destruction of the Dragonpit – preluded by Helaena’s death; rioters take over much of the city; all the dragons in the city are killed when the mob storms the Dragonpit, which collapses; death of prince Joffrey Velaryon along with some notable knights. Eventually Rhaenyra abandons the city.

Prediction: fully shown but may reduce the number of named characters. The rise of the moon turn kings will be in season 4.

END OF SEASON 3

22.  The second battle of Tumbleton – the blacks defeat the greens and various characters among the greens turn on each other; deaths of Daeron the Daring, Hugh, and Addam Velaryon, followed by Ulf’s assassination; deaths of the dragons Vermithor, Seasmoke, and Tessarion. Silverwing is among the last adult dragons left. The remains of the Hightower host retreat.

Prediction: partially shown; it’s a night battle so they can hide the hosts and focus on the dragon battle and the major character deaths.

23.  The Baratheons seize King’s Landing – preluded by Rhaenyra’s death on Dragonstone, which will absolutely be shown; Lord Borros clears out the pretender kings and takes KL in the name of Aegon II. Aegon returns to KL.

Prediction: partially shown. Rhaenyra’s end on Dragonstone takes precedence.

24.  Battle of the Kingsroad – the blacks score a final decisive victory over the greens; death of Borros Baratheon. The armies of the blacks converge on King’s Landing.

Prediction: fully shown, but a relatively quick battle. It’s the last battle of the war.

25.  Aegon II’s death – Aegon refuses to surrender to the advancing forces and threatens to kill Aegon the Younger; he is assassinated. The Starks, the Tullys and their bannermen enter the city unopposed. Aegon the Younger is crowned king as Aegon III.

Prediction: fully shown.

Additional predictions: we’ll get the early days of Aegon III’s reign with the regency. Viserys is returned by Alyn Velaryon, but Laenor shows up, too, having played a hand. This is the final straw for Corlys, whose heart is overwhelmed by bittersweet emotions, and he dies. The series ends by either killing off the last dragons or showing us how reduced is the strength of House Targaryen, while in the north a cold, ancient power stirs.

END OF THE SHOW

I'd respond with a full list, but like Ran I agree with most of your assessments so there's really no point.  I also like the idea of Jason dying at the Fishfeed to give it a major death.  On what I disagree with...

I think Daeron is definitely going to be in the show.  I may be grasping, but Daemon mentioning the greens having 4 dragons in the finale is an encouraging sign.  Therefore, I think we'll definitely get Honeywine, or something similar; as well as Bitterbridge, or something similar.  I also think the Greyjoys will only be mentioned so as to explain the Lannisters' difficulty in providing more reserves.  If we're assuming only 4 seasons total, I don't think they can waste time with that.

@DMC

I think even in that scene, they still weren't sure, but they were leaving it ambiguous. But then the opening credit VFX were done quite late in post-production, perhaps even after the first episode and the 2nd season order, and by that time they knew they had him in.

So, yeah, there'll be a Daeron. It'll be a bit awkward, but after the initial introduction I doubt people will care.

I think the Fishfeed won't be shown since it involves so few main character. Lord Jason should be long dead by that point, and most commanders on the Black's side are supporting characters.

Since its the end of Cole's story the Butchers Ball will certainly be shown to some extend.

I suspect the battle of the gullet will be a season ending battle episode ala blackwater. 

• 2 months later...

Agree with pretty much everything you’ve mentioned! Pretty much any battle which does not have a main character involved will be mentioned at most really and I like you mixing the Fishfeed and Ball together!

I agree completely with your end of Season predictions! This is exactly what I was thinking would be the finale when I was reading the books over the past couple of weeks (I’m just in the Aftermath chapter now)

Good predictions but I don't agree re: Laenor. He can't be alive all that time, because that creates a big Seasmoke-shaped ploy hole.

23 hours ago, KingStoneheart said:

Agree with pretty much everything you’ve mentioned! Pretty much any battle which does not have a main character involved will be mentioned at most really and I like you mixing the Fishfeed and Ball together!

I agree completely with your end of Season predictions! This is exactly what I was thinking would be the finale when I was reading the books over the past couple of weeks (I’m just in the Aftermath chapter now)

Why would they just mention the Greyjoys?! You have a chance to include the Ironborn and to shoe another badass female character with Johanna Westerling (and they've said they want to tell women's stories, and you think they would just pass that opportunity? (Also, how ironic will it be considering what Jason said in 1x05 about women and battlefield!)

The only possible reason I could think of would be if they were really into whitewashing all of Rhaenyra's supporters to make Targ stans on Twitter happy, but I don't think that's what they're into.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Good predictions but I don't agree re: Laenor. He can't be alive all that time, because that creates a big Seasmoke-shaped ploy hole.

Why would they just mention the Greyjoys?! You have a chance to include the Ironborn and to shoe another badass female character with Johanna Westerling (and they've said they want to tell women's stories, and you think they would just pass that opportunity? (Also, how ironic will it be considering what Jason said in 1x05 about women and battlefield!)

The only possible reason I could think of would be if they were really into whitewashing all of Rhaenyra's supporters to make Targ stans on Twitter happy, but I don't think that's what they're into.

To be fair the Greyjoys are Rhaenyra supporters indirectly. They just do their own thing. Granted the show can change that and have the Red Kraken be an ardent supporter at first, but once Rhaenyra dies he just goes on his own and refuses to stop fighting.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

To be fair the Greyjoys are Rhaenyra supporters indirectly. They just do their own thing. Granted the show can change that and have the Red Kraken be an ardent supporter at first, but once Rhaenyra dies he just goes on his own and refuses to stop fighting.

Of course the Greyjoys didn't care about Rhaenyra, they just wanted an excuse to attack the Westerlands. That's why it's such a good illustration of what the civil war is really like. Most of the Lords choosing sides based on their own interests, rather than loyalty or ideals or oaths or succession rules. I can't see why they would cut that.

• 1 month later...

The following battles are non-negotiable. They must be included not only for the sake of plot and character arcs but for the sake of dragon action (which this show depends on)

1. The Sack of Duskendale
  2. The Battle of Rook's Rest
  3. The Battle of the Gullet and the Sack of Driftmark
  4. The Battle of the Honeywine
  5. The Battle of the Red Fork
  6. The Ironman Invasion of the West
  7. Rhaenyra's Conquest of King's Landing
  8. The Fishfeed/The Butcher's Ball
  9. The Sack of Bitterbridge
  10. The First and Second Battle of Tumbleton
  11. Aegon's Conquest on Dragonstone
  12. The Battle Above the Gods' Eye
  13. The Riots of King's Landing, the Destruction of the Dragonpit and the Baratheon Reconquest of the city
  14. The Battle of the Kingsroad

The Red Fork, the Fishfeed and the Butcher's Ball can be combined into one big battle.

There's a lot of room for expansion as well.

• Rhaenyra can lead armies into more battles
  • Rhaena can be given something to do with Morning in the Vale
  • Jacaerys' time on the show can be extended with his accompanying of the northmen for a while
  • Laenor can make a big comeback on behalf of Rhaenyra at the end of the war
  • Both Addam and Alyn can make big splashes with their own dragons (yes, there's no reason why they can't just create a dragon for TV for the sake of Addam)
  • Alys River's son by Aemond can be aged up and given a dragon to make him, his mother and their forces the last remnant that needs to be put down...as well as Aegon's first test

I'd like this show to continue past the Regency period and take us right into the Blackfyre Rebellions and the beginning of House Targaryen's failed attempts to bring back dragons.

• 4 weeks later...

BOOK SPOILERS:

In terms of major players, Harrenhal/Burning Mill has Daemon, Duskendale has Criston Cole, Rook's Rest has Rhaenys, Aegon and Aemond, Gullet has Jace, Honeywine has Ormund and Daeron; Red Fork has...Jason Lannister?...Acorn Hall has like nobody major, Lakeshore also has nobody major, King's Landing has Daemon, Corlys, Alicent and Otto, the Red Kraken stuff has Dalton, Butcher's Ball has Criston, First Tumbleton has Daeron, Ormund, Hugh and Ulf, Dragonstone has Baela and Aegon, Gods Eye has Daemon and Aemond, the Riot of King's Landing is vital, Second Tumbleton has Addam, Hugh and Ulf. So it looks like 1. Harrenhal, 2. Rook's Rest, 3. Gullet, 4. Fall of King's Landing, 5. Butcher's Ball, 6. First Tumbleton, 7. Dragonstone, 8. God's Eye, 9. King's Landing Riot, 10. Second Tumbleton, 11. and Kingsroad are vital. I would also include the Red Kraken, but I'm not sure how necessary Honeywine, Red Fork, Acorn Hall or Lakeshore are. 

I'm assuming they cut season 2 to 8 so the could finish with Rook's Rest, but they could theoretically fit the Fall of King's Landing in if the pace is fast. 4 "battles" a season may be what they want: Harrenhal + aftermath, Rook's Rest, Gullet, and King's Landing season 2 (less Jace and Rhaenys :( ), Butcher's Ball, First Tumbleton, Dragonstone, and God's Eye season 3, King's Landing Riot, Second Tumbleton, the big deaths, and then Kingsroad and Hour of the Wolf in season 4. They would be running through this, but they could do that time frame. 

4 hours ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

BOOK SPOILERS:

In terms of major players, Harrenhal/Burning Mill has Daemon, Duskendale has Criston Cole, Rook's Rest has Rhaenys, Aegon and Aemond, Gullet has Jace, Honeywine has Ormund and Daeron; Red Fork has...Jason Lannister?...Acorn Hall has like nobody major, Lakeshore also has nobody major, King's Landing has Daemon, Corlys, Alicent and Otto, the Red Kraken stuff has Dalton, Butcher's Ball has Criston, First Tumbleton has Daeron, Ormund, Hugh and Ulf, Dragonstone has Baela and Aegon, Gods Eye has Daemon and Aemond, the Riot of King's Landing is vital, Second Tumbleton has Addam, Hugh and Ulf. So it looks like 1. Harrenhal, 2. Rook's Rest, 3. Gullet, 4. Fall of King's Landing, 5. Butcher's Ball, 6. First Tumbleton, 7. Dragonstone, 8. God's Eye, 9. King's Landing Riot, 10. Second Tumbleton, 11. and Kingsroad are vital. I would also include the Red Kraken, but I'm not sure how necessary Honeywine, Red Fork, Acorn Hall or Lakeshore are. 

I'm assuming they cut season 2 to 8 so the could finish with Rook's Rest, but they could theoretically fit the Fall of King's Landing in if the pace is fast. 4 "battles" a season may be what they want: Harrenhal + aftermath, Rook's Rest, Gullet, and King's Landing season 2 (less Jace and Rhaenys :( ), Butcher's Ball, First Tumbleton, Dragonstone, and God's Eye season 3, King's Landing Riot, Second Tumbleton, the big deaths, and then Kingsroad and Hour of the Wolf in season 4. They would be running through this, but they could do that time frame. 

Honeywine should be shown to see Daeron and Tessarion in action. 

But not all the battles they show will be big center pieces of an episode. Some of these like Honeywine, Dalton Greyjoy attacking the Westerlands (and there's no way we don't see Johanna Westerling leading the defense forces at some point in the show), may get a couple of scenes but won't be the focus of an episode.

If that Deadline article is right when it says that Ryan and GRRM are still discussing whether to have season 4 or finish the show with season 3, then there is no way in hell they're not going to finish season 2 with Rhaenyra taking King's Landing. And season 3 would still be too crammed unless it's 16 episodes (or at the very least 13, but that would probably be rushed, just think of all the character arcs that need to happen in that amount of time).

Ending it with Rook's Rest and cramming everything into season 3 would be insane. I don't think it's a good idea even if you have 2 more seasons but seasons 3 and 4 are just 8 episodes each.

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that the 'part of the plot, including a major battle' being moved to season 3 isn't Rhaenyra taking KL. but that they've changed the order of events and something that's supposed to happen before that will happen after it, early in season 3. It might be the Battle of the Gullet. 

8 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Honeywine should be shown to see Daeron and Tessarion in action. 

I thought they could just do this in First Tumbleton, but I guess you could emphasize it with a smaller portion of Honeywine. 

8 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

If that Deadline article is right when it says that Ryan and GRRM are still discussing whether to have season 4 or finish the show with season 3, then there is no way in hell they're not going to finish season 2 with Rhaenyra taking King's Landing. And season 3 would still be too crammed unless it's 16 episodes (or at the very least 13, but that would probably be rushed, just think of all the character arcs that need to happen in that amount of time).

George obviously wants his story to take 4 seasons, to let it breathe and sit. I think God's Eye has to end a season, so unless they get all the way there in Season 2 with 8 episodes, the fall of King's Landing makes the most sense for the end of season 2. But if they cut a major sequence, it might be Gullet or Rook's Rest that gets moved. I would love Eve Best to have three seasons for a potential Emmy nomination tbh, considering Milly and Emily aren't likely to get one this year.

7 hours ago, GZ Bloodraven said:

I thought they could just do this in First Tumbleton, but I guess you could emphasize it with a smaller portion of Honeywine. 

George obviously wants his story to take 4 seasons, to let it breathe and sit. I think God's Eye has to end a season, so unless they get all the way there in Season 2 with 8 episodes, the fall of King's Landing makes the most sense for the end of season 2. But if they cut a major sequence, it might be Gullet or Rook's Rest that gets moved. I would love Eve Best to have three seasons for a potential Emmy nomination tbh, considering Milly and Emily aren't likely to get one this year.

You can have the Gullet after the fall of King's Landing, but you can't possibly have Rook's Rest after the fakl of King's Landing, that's impossible without completely changing the story abd the character arcs.

Re: Honeywine - a bit of that would emphasize Daeron and Tessarion's role; with the First Tumbleton, that would be overshadowed by Hugh and Ulf switching sides.

ETA: The problem with the idea of ending season 3 with God's Eye is that the Storming of the Dragonpit not only happens not long after it, but is the natural climax and to the storyline of Rhaenyra's downward spiral and growing paranoia, going from Hugh and Ulf's betrayal, to Rhaenyra turning against Nettles, to ordering Addam's arrest and losing Corlys and other allies, parallel with the growing discontent of the people of KL and the Shepherd gaining followers. It just wouldn't work to have a year between these events.

Maybe that's why Ryan wants to end it with season 3 - it's hard to find a good break between season 3 and 4.

It might work better as one long season - a season 3 that's between 13 and 16 episodes long, with a mid-season break of 2-3 months. (Split into 2 Emmy cycles probably) God's Eye would work better as a mid season finale, with the Storming of the Dragonpit and everything else following in season 3, part 2.

Edited by Annara Snow

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

It might work better as one long season - a season 3 that's between 13 and 16 episodes long, with a mid-season break of 2-3 months. (Split into 2 Emmy cycles probably) God's Eye would work better as a mid season finale, with the Storming of the Dragonpit and everything else following in season 3, part 2.

I actually prefer this to two seasons, but budget and time might be preventative. And you're right that the Dragonpit storming is kind of a bookend to Act 2 of the Dance, not God's Eye.

You can have the Gullet after the fall of King's Landing, but you can't possibly have Rook's Rest after the fakl of King's Landing, that's impossible without completely changing the story abd the character arcs.

But could they pwetty pwease switch it, no you're right I'm having wishful thinking that Rhaenys could die any later than she's supposed to. As long as she genuinely debilitates Aegon for most of a season as his armor melts into his flesh, I'll be happy I think.

Re: Honeywine - a bit of that would emphasize Daeron and Tessarion's role; with the First Tumbleton, that would be overshadowed by Hugh and Ulf switching sides.

I understand this, maybe Honeywine could be a cold open or a tag: I just don't see it taking up much of an episode.  

• 8 months later...

Based on the trailer and knowing that it's only an 8 episode season, I'm noting in red below my predictions from the OP which I think were fairly accurate.

1.      Daemon takes Harrenhal without a fight.

Prediction: fully shown in a quick scene. Daemon’s intent was already mentioned.

2.      The battle of the Burning Mill & fall of Stone Hedge – the Blackwoods victorious over the Brackens, but Sam Blackwood is killed.

Prediction: only mentioned.

3.      The sacking of Duskendale – the greens led by Criston Cole take Duskendale and kill Lord Darklyn.

Prediction: at best mentioned. We may get a head on a spike with Cole looking on.

4.      The battle of Rook’s Rest – green victory; death of Rhaenys and her dragon; Aegon II and his dragon severely wounded.

Prediction: partially shown; we’ll get the dragon fight, but likely little of the ground fighting.

5.      The battle of the Gullet and sack of Driftmark – preluded by the capture of prince Viserys by Lyseni; death of Jacaerys and his dragon; both the Velaryon fleet and the Triarchy fleet suffer significant losses.

Prediction: fully shown, it’s a major battle with a major death. The vaunted Velaryon fleet is left weakened.

6.      The battle of the Honeywine – the Hightower host defeats Rhaenrya’s supporters thanks to Daeron the Daring and his dragon.

Prediction: depends on Daeron being in the show; partially shown if yes, barely mentioned if no. Daeron earns his knighthood here.

7.      The second battle of Rook’s Rest – Lord Walys Mooton retakes Rook’s Rest but is killed when his men try to kill the wounded dragon Sunfyre; Sunfyre disappears.

Prediction: maybe the attempt to kill Sunfyre will be shown; but they could remove it completely and have Sunfyre simply disappear after the initial battle.

8.      The greens take Harrenhal – Cole and Aemond lead an army to take Harrenhal from Daemon only to find it abandoned.

Prediction: fully shown, not much budget required.

9.      Battle of the Red Fork – the Lannister host defeats an army of river lords as they push into the Riverlands, however Jason Lannister dies.

Prediction: mentioned, and Jason survives.

10.  Battle of Acorn Hall – the Lannister host scores another minor victory, but they once again lose their commander; the westerners march on, not besieging the castle.

Prediction: likely forgotten, at best mentioned.

11.  The Fishfeed – the bloodiest battle of the war, fought on the western shore of the God’s Eye; the Lannister host is destroyed by a combined army of rivermen and northmen.

Prediction: partially shown; Jason dies here; unless they can insert a major character, probably not much of it will be shown. (alternate prediction, see Butcher’s Ball)

12.  Fall of King’s Landing – with the city largely left defenseless, Rhaenyra and Daemon strike, taking it with little fighting; Alicent captured, Otto executed, but Aegon II and Larys escape.

Prediction: fully shown. END OF SEASON 2.

• 1 month later...

How would you feel if Cregans army joins with the lads army? It would give him something to do before he arrives in KL to tie things up. Maybe he gets wounded in the battle of the Kingsroad and thats why he arrives later