Instances of Poor World Building

Corvo the Crow

9 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

How did the Andal taint corrupt that door made one of the purest beings

The savages that populated Westeros prior the coming of the Faithful should be thankful that they were taught a proper language.

In all seriousness I think it's probably speaking in the Common Tongue due to plot reasons. The people who needed to use it can't speak the Old Tongue. Also, not everyone at the wall was a First Man so we can assume it may have had contact with Andals/common tongue speakers.

7 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Savages you say? Pray tell ser, who were the ones that carved the symbol of a god that don't even exist upon their very flesh? Need I remind you that First Men were a very advanced people with a house of learning unrivalled in the entire planetos, the Citadel? Citadel, founded by King Urrigon Hightower, whose mother was Maris the Maid daughter of Garth and whose father Uthor ordered Bran the Builder to build the high tower, these all happened in age of heroes as evidenced by the people involved so long before Andals.

If the so called First Men were so advanced, then why did their tongue die out? (Seriously though, I agree, North should still be speaking the old tongue...)

9 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

In all seriousness, poor world building exactly as the title says. First Men should have kept their language so those who come to NW could learn it. North had no reason to learn the tainted tongue of the corrupt savages, the Andals. Sure, the border regions could get exposed to it but then, the border regions aren't even exposed to the other Northerners.

It is quite silly. I mean the North is isloated religiously as well, so it's not like the Common tongue could have spread through the spread of the Faith...

13 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Just look at the first book. Lots of concern over where Robert Arryn was going to be fostered and how Jaime shouldn't be warden of the east and west. Basically never mentioned again. The first book is weird.

Don’t forget Tyrion’s quest to destroy the Vale. That was dropped almost before it was started. Joff planning to fight Robb in single combat as well.

Tyrion and Jaime were rather busy after that, Cersei if she gave Robin Arryn any thought at all likely thought he like Tommen was better off with his mother, Tywin and Stannis both wanted Lisa Arryn to help them not declare against them so likely dropped the issue when Lisa told them her son wasn't going to be fostered with them.

much of the worldbuilding is subpar but those plots being dropped made sense.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Don’t forget Tyrion’s quest to destroy the Vale.

Don't they mention that the mountain clan raiders are better armed than before though? So it hasn't been dropped completely...

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Joff planning to fight Robb in single combat as well.

To be fair I don't think that was ever going to work out. Robb died...

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Don't they mention that the mountain clan raiders are better armed than before though? So it hasn't been dropped completely...

Joffrey likely wanted to until he heard Robb already died, had the Northmen been at the Blackwater he likely would have tried to face Robb but Cersei rightly for once would have stopped him.

9 minutes ago, Alden Rothack said:

Joffrey likely wanted to until he heard Robb already died, had the Northmen been at the Blackwater he likely would have tried to face Robb but Cersei rightly for once would have stopped him.

If Greywind was there then what is the point of fighting Robb in single combat though? Instant loss for whoever isn't Robb...

6 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

The size of cities in Yi Ti. It should be impossible to feed a city that large, considering that the royal palace alone is the size of KL. 

Sure, IRL we have ridiculously sized things like Versailles and the Forbidden City, but not on this scale.  

That is only the case because Kings Landing is already so huge

23 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

No, those birds are rare.

Who knows, with all the whackjobs at the citadel perhaps they are forcefully skinchanging people into the ravens and since most of these people would be lowborn simpletons, they can only learn one castle and the occasional lower nobility who misbehaved becomes a raven that can learnmore places. 

I still think that's kind of a misnomer. By "two castles" he means a bird from Winterfell could fly to either Castle Black or East Watch. Messenger pigeons are trained to do this, mostly by doing what you say: establishing a home in one location then physically transporting the bird to another where it is fed and cared for, causing the bird to eventually fly back and forth between the two locations. That's a far more plausible explanation than an entire network of bird-shuttling that we've never seen or heard about.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Actually is GRRM's original outline for the series, Joff and Robb were suppose to fight each other and Robb was suppose to severely injure Joff. Naturally this would have happened before the Red Wedding.

Archived