Instances of Poor World Building

Corvo the Crow

1 minute ago, Alden Rothack said:

Shakespear was mostly a art forger before somebody decided he should write historical propaganda

he did both very well but his plays were no more true than Homers epic

5 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think Richard III has an undeserved bad reputation due to work of Tudor propagandist William Shakespeare.

Richard very much does, considering what happened the last time a child inheritted the throne Richard was right to pass over the princes and take the throne, even killing them might have been tragic but neccessary look at the number of times the tudors had to deal with rebellions or attempted rebellions rallying around figureheads

two boys lives vs the thousands or more who would have died if they lived is not a hard choice to make

Like in the events in the series when Tommen becomes King

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I don't even know if they were his plays. Apparently he just compiled them from other people and then tweaked them a bit so they didn't look like completely rip-offs.

Thats disbuted, they certainly aren't original or truthful but most people believe the lies are his

I remember when I was in York I was thrilled that there was a Richard III Exhibition only for it to be closed...

4 minutes ago, Alden Rothack said:

Thats disbuted, they certainly aren't original or truthful but most people believe the lies are his

Yes, no one is certain, but I have heard the stories weren't all his own.

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

I remember when I was in York I was thrilled that there was a Richard III Exhibition only for it to be closed...

Yes, no one is certain, but I have heard the stories weren't all his own.

What you've to remember is that Shakespear had the skill to write as other people, many of the things that 'other' people wrote might well have been him muddying the waters on purpose for fun

Just to add something to the topic: The fact that historically royal houses exist!

There is plenty of houses (few examples: Boltons and Dustins in the North; Royce in the Vale; HT, Tarly in the Reach, Yronwood in Dorne; maybe also Reyne and Westerling in the Westerland) who used to be independent kings, but they were defeated and somehow they survived. Not only that, but they kept their original castle and remained local powers to be dealt with.

Also the city locations in Westeros make little sense: Why there is no city inland? Why Lannisport exists as a city (almost alone on the west coast) while there is no city in the stormland proper, which is close to the very rich Free Cities?

55 minutes ago, LordOldNick said:

Just to add something to the topic: The fact that historically royal houses exist!

There is plenty of houses (few examples: Boltons and Dustins in the North; Royce in the Vale; HT, Tarly in the Reach, Yronwood in Dorne; maybe also Reyne and Westerling in the Westerland) who used to be independent kings, but they were defeated and somehow they survived. Not only that, but they kept their original castle and remained local powers to be dealt with.

Also the city locations in Westeros make little sense: Why there is no city inland? Why Lannisport exists as a city (almost alone on the west coast) while there is no city in the stormland proper, which is close to the very rich Free Cities?

As to cities:

At first I think GRRM only created 5 and then realized it is devoid of all sense so big towns started popping up. It's more than likely the Stormlands have some big towns that are just shy of a city status. I suppose it makes sense as feeding large cities throughout long winters is quite hard. people would rather stay close to food sources. I believe the Reach is dotted with 5K-10K towns.

The seas around the Stormlands are turbulent so it makes sense that the major ports that link Westeros to Essos will be further north.

The bigger question is why did no big port emerge in southern Dorne that bypasses the Stepstones? They could give Oldtown a good competition. 

The location of Lannisport is a tad perplexing. There's not much trade routes in the way and everything coming from the south would stop at Oldtown. Perhaps Lannisport mainly takes ores from the Iron Islands and timber from the north, and ships Lannister gold.

52 minutes ago, LordOldNick said:

well for the first many formerly important cities and castles do still exist centuries after they stopped being centuries of royal power we just can't prove that the descendants of those kings still live there, the second is because a) the bar for cities is ridiciously high for some reason and b) the 'Free' cities are full of fucking slavers

8 minutes ago, hnv said:

The bigger question is why did no big port emerge in southern Dorne that bypasses the Stepstones? They could give Oldtown a good competition. 

The location of Lannisport is a tad perplexing. There's not much trade routes in the way and everything coming from the south would stop at Oldtown. Perhaps Lannisport mainly takes ores from the Iron Islands and timber from the north, and ships Lannister gold.

Indeed. We know that trade exists (Myr carpets and laces come to mind) but the trade patterns are not reflected in the way cities are located. Your point about Dorne is a very good example!

3 minutes ago, LordOldNick said:

Indeed. We know that trade exists (Myr carpets and laces come to mind) but the trade patterns are not reflected in the way cities are located. Your point about Dorne is a very good example!

Spain had lots of trade despite being in a far worse position

its wierd because Gulltown, White Harbour and even Kingslanding make more sense where they are

but the two largest cities are both position so they can only really ship to each other (lordsport is tiny and the northern ports are even smaller

50 minutes ago, Alden Rothack said:

Which helped make ot super rich but they ere very successful even before that

in fact the new norld actually devalued spains currency because it flooded the good and silver market

They were fighting against Moors before that... and before Americas were discovered, primary trade superpowers were Venice and Genoa, and before them the Byzantine Empire. Spain, Portugal, France and especially Britain, would have remained on the margins of the civilized world if not for Muslim expansion, discovery of Americas, and the effect these things had on trade routes.

13 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

:agree:

only because the invasion started the process of reunifying the people

the trade advantages would take nearly five centuries after the invasion was pushed out of most of europe to appear and then only because religious differences lost the power to keep them away

Archived