How long was Renly on the Small Council?

James Steller

I was talking about Renly in another thread, and it occurred to me just how little we know of Renly's life. We know he was basically a toddler when Storm's End was besieged, and he was made Lord of Storm's End after the war. Following that, he presumably grew up and came to King's Landing to serve on Robert's Small Council. But when did he do that?

We hear that Tywin made history by becoming the youngest Hand of the King in history at age 20. Renly is just 21 or so when AGOT begins. How long was he on the Small Council for? And why is that not talked about more often? Was he only there for a year? I doubt it, given how popular he is among the smallfolk. So was he still a teenager when he became Master of Laws? That's pretty groundbreaking, is it not? And who did he replace? Who was the regent of the Stormlands while Renly was still underage?

Perhaps Ser Courtnay was involved in the ruling of the Stormlands? He does seem very loyal to Renly.

Theoretically he could have taken the Master of Laws job as soon as he came of age (so, from 16 would mean ~5 years spent on the council?), but this would be unusual and so one would think it would be mentioned, as you've said. I can only assume it was just something that wasn't really fleshed out or given much attention. There are quite a few odd things like that in the first book.

The Master of Laws seat might just have been unoccupied, but I'm not sure. They run the council even when people are missing because we see Robert's small council convene In Stannis' absence, however that's not quite the same as they had someone in the position who just wasn't there, as opposed to a completely unoccupied seat. If Robert wanted to fill it with a family member then maybe one of the Estermonts? The problem is we never hear that mentioned.

9 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Perhaps Ser Courtnay was involved in the ruling of the Stormlands? He does seem very loyal to Renly.

Theoretically he could have taken the Master of Laws job as soon as he came of age (so, from 16 would mean ~5 years spent on the council?), but this would be unusual and so one would think it would be mentioned, as you've said. I can only assume it was just something that wasn't really fleshed out or given much attention. There are quite a few odd things like that in the first book.

The Master of Laws seat might just have been unoccupied, but I'm not sure. They run the council even when people are missing because we see Robert's small council convene In Stannis' absence, however that's not quite the same as they had someone in the position who just wasn't there, as opposed to a completely unoccupied seat. If Robert wanted to fill it with a family member then maybe one of the Estermonts? The problem is we never hear that mentioned.

Agreed. Given Robert’s tendency for nepotism, we can only assume that either that one Baratheon uncle or one of his Estermont relatives was serving on the council before Renly showed up to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived