Titles of the Seven Kingdoms

Alden Rothack

17 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

There was a theory I read somewhere (can't recall where) that speculated the Iron Islands were actually overpopulated, which is why they raid and reave so much.

Perhaps the Reach stopped selling them weapons so that’s why they started raiding?

Iron Islands Could be over populated, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s population isn’t quite meager.

10 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Iron Islands Could be over populated, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s population isn’t quite meager.

It's a proportion issue, I don't think they have loads of people either, just that they have more people than they can support without resorting to raiding.

21 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Real world comparisons doesn’t maske sense since the books themselves literally make no sense. Redwyne Fleet and has 1000 ships counting the merchants alone. If I recall right East India company, at it’s height, had 200 ships, compare it  with Redwynes whose sole export is wine. Also yes, their ships are small with average longship having around 30 oars(a third the size of smaller war galleys which have 80-100)

actually its worse than that since the war galleys have 100 rowers not 100 crew, based the venetian model (a very good model for the redwynes) the average across the fleet will be 300 or more, galleys and in particular war galleys have separate rowing/sailing/fighting crews

the EIC had average crews not much larger but drew them from across a matritime empire of multiple times the population of the entire seven kingdoms (they personally ruled about thirty million people as part of an empire of half a billion)

30 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

Keep in mind that "ship" and "ship" are not the same. Venice and Genoa used war galleys, you know, these things:

https://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/ancient/venetian/venetian (30).JPG

These were specialized warships, and were massive. Viking longships which the Ironborn use are not only very small and light compared to war galleys, but also double as trade ships. But you could literally throw dozens of longships against a single galley and they would be unable to do anything... galley's deck is simply too tall. Which is why cogs were actually superior to galleys until cannons started appearing:

https://fantasyview.wordpress.com/2019/08/21/war-at-sea-galley-vs-sailing-ship/

only the iron fleet and select lords flagships are stated to be a match for even slall galleys, which based on them having passenger quarters and covered rowing decks I take to mean they are galleys or at least large sailing ships which can row if they need to

Archived