U.S. Politics - Oh no! Here we Don McGahn. Recuse or pack.

Lykos

18 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

There is Twitter. Then there is the 'ultra-hot MAGA chick' who turned out to be a Chinese spy. The interesting bit to me is the absolute denial of a Trump/China connection among MAGA posters in the comments sections. Quite a few of them are making comments to the effect this is 'literally impossible' because the 'Right' would never align themselves with communists. When confronted with past Trump acts that contradict this, the immediate claim is 'fake news.'

Ultra-MAGA 'Hot Babe' who claimed Obama is a Illuminati lizard turns out to be a Chinese spy (msn.com)

There are too many examples to count of right wing cognitive dissonance, but their conviction that the Chinese are behind everything and their inability to connect the dots between Trump and the Chinese government is pretty jarring.

A couple of years ago, one of my frequent opponents in FB local politics groups started their own "town conservatives" page and invited everyone else in for "spirited debate" (lol). One of the first posts was some kind of "buy American" meme. When I started politely pointing out how much Trump merch is manufactured in China (they thought it was great that up to 15% of that tacky shit was actually manufactured in the US), and quoted Trump's statements of trust in the Chinese government in the early Covid days, I got banned and blocked.

Party game! One can even play it on online fora and social media.

"Who Goes Nazi?" by Dorothy Thompson,  in a 1941 issue of Harper's Magazine.

For those who are unfamiliar with career of this hard hitting journalist of days of yore, the first journalist to be expelled by nazi Germany --

https://exhibitions.ushmm.org/americans-and-the-holocaust/personal-story/dorothy-thompson

At The Parties, one would know Dorothy Thompson would never go nazi.

https://harpers.org/archive/1941/08/who-goes-nazi/

It is an interesting and somewhat macabre parlor game to play at a large gathering of one’s acquaintances: to speculate who in a showdown would go Nazi. By now, I think I know. I have gone through the experience many times—in Germany, in Austria, and in France. I have come to know the types: the born Nazis, the Nazis whom democracy itself has created, the certain-to-be fellow-travelers. And I also know those who never, under any conceivable circumstances, would become Nazis. ....

Politico is reporting a bombshell, 

Donald Trump’s attorneys saw a direct appeal to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as their best hope of derailing Joe Biden’s win in the 2020 presidential election, according to emails newly disclosed to congressional investigators.

“We want to frame things so that Thomas could be the one to issue some sort of stay or other circuit justice opinion saying Georgia is in legitimate doubt,” Trump attorney Kenneth Chesebro wrote in a Dec. 31, 2020, email to Trump’s legal team. Chesebro contended that Thomas would be “our only chance to get a favorable judicial opinion by Jan. 6, which might hold up the Georgia count in Congress.”

Trump lawyers saw Justice Thomas as 'only chance' to stop 2020 election certification - POLITICO

33 minutes ago, LongRider said:

No. Stop. This is too shocking.

Otoh, it must be fun to be as bad as your job as possible while facing zero consequences. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

No. Stop. This is too shocking.

Otoh, it must be fun to be as bad as your job as possible while facing zero consequences. 

It puts Thomas and his sidekick Ginny in a bad light.  Well, a bad light if one is rational.  As many layers of conspiracy and rot as this coup has, the J6C needs to keep working for a couple of more years.   

23 hours ago, LongRider said:

Clarence did vow revenge on liberals. People thought this meant something like overturning Roe. Apparently that isn't enough revenge for him and he won't stop until an American Putin is put into power. He's deranged and has lost it every bit as much as the guy that put his feet up on Pelosi's desk.

We had a "voting party" at my place last weekend.  My daughter and a few of her voting-age college buddies brought their mail-in ballots and filled them out with my wife, put them into the envelopes and signed them.  Everybody mailed or handed in their own so we don't violate ballot harvesting regulations.

I had a couple of the state-produced voter guides with helpful highlighting for the initiatives and the judges' grades, pointing out the judges with particularly bad grades and the meat of the initiatives.

Some minor discussions as to why we as Republicans should vote against our party's candidates led to a general discussion of how in American democracy, all politics is local, and that in every election, you should vote for the best candidate, and not just pull the "straight ticket" lever.

Then, because I am old, I had to explain what a lever-action, mechanical voting machine looked like, and how it worked.  Many strange looks after googling the images of such a machine, as they realized that the world was a very different place not that long ago.  Where is my flying car?

So the classic argument from conservative people from the US was that the high drugs prices in the US make cheap prices in the rest of the world possible and finance research.

Now I read an article about a billionaire named Mark Cuban who cut out the middle man and is selling drugs for reasonable prices. 

Has the pharma industry in the US collapsed yet?

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My Baby girl is in line to vote for the first time.  She says everyone but her is “40+”.

:) 

Not to rain on everybody else's parade (and not to diminish your parental pride), but the everybody else is 40+ line isn't great. I know problem everywhere, that the young don't vote. But that's how we all end up with conservative goverments ruining everybody's life.

Attempted voter fraud found! One guess as to the perpetrators.

I can just see something like this in a close race or three - the candidates are literally within a few dozen votes of one another - the R (who trumpeted nonstop about 'voter fraud') being in the lead - then something like this story breaks where it turns out a couple hundred votes are fictitious, with ties leading straight back to his office. Maybe DMC could come up with a race or three that might actually come out this way.

Milwaukee election worker under investigation for ballot fraud (msn.com)

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not to rain on everybody else's parade (and not to diminish your parental pride), but the everybody else is 40+ line isn't great. I know problem everywhere, that the young don't vote. But that's how we all end up with conservative goverments ruining everybody's life.

I attribute it in no small part to the US as a whole getting older. Area I dwell in was mostly 'under 40' back in the 70's and 80's, now literally every third person is social security age.

27 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Since I was 18 and a first-time voter it's always been this way.  Been voting for 40+ years, and I have never voted for a Republican.   Old does not automatically mean conservative. 

However, today our local NPR station's broadcasting remote from a local community college, researching what this age group of diverse students is thinking about the midterms.  They generally aren't thinking of the midterms at all and none of them plan to vote.  The closest to political thinking I heard was, "all politicians are evil so why vote for any of them?"

Like Long Rider I've been voting since 18 and have never voted rethug ever for anything no matter where I lived.  I've never even considered doing so, no matter how hard I've had to hold my nose to vote for some these Dems -- like the mayor.  What a piece of shyte he is.  That's how bad the reichlicans are and always have been.

Archived