U.S. Politics - Oh no! Here we Don McGahn. Recuse or pack.

Lykos

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Will be interesting to see if the Republican-dominated supreme court overturning Wade v Roe will turn out to be the equivelent of killing John Wick’s dog for the party.

Seems unlikely. At this point the best argument for Democrats doing well is that pollsters have overcorrected after their mistakes in recent cycles of underestimating Republican turnout. Because if the polls are anywhere close to accurate, it's going to be a long night for Democrats. Probably not at the level of 2010 or 2014, but still bad.

And honestly, that's because of the effect of Dobbs (and Republican election denialism); without we probably we would be looking at a 2010-style wipeout.

49 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not to rain on everybody else's parade (and not to diminish your parental pride), but the everybody else is 40+ line isn't great. I know problem everywhere, that the young don't vote. But that's how we all end up with conservative goverments ruining everybody's life.

It’s South Carolina.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s South Carolina.

Is that your way of saying, her vote was useless anyway?

Not to question your parenting skills, but don't complain, if this was her last election. :P :leaving:

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Seems unlikely. At this point the best argument for Democrats doing well is that pollsters have overcorrected after their mistakes in recent cycles of underestimating Republican turnout. Because if the polls are anywhere close to accurate, it's going to be a long night for Democrats. Probably not at the level of 2010 or 2014, but still bad.

As much as I hate to say it, Silver is right that there doesn't necessarily need to be any "overcorrecting" for the polling error to go the Dems' way instead of the other way around.  Sometimes that's just the way it goes.  Still, though, yeah, looks like the fundamentals have caught up with the Dems, which isn't too surprising.

'Voter fraud must be out there somewhere! I know, we'll go door to door and check for illegal voters...hmm...better go armed and imply we are with the government.'

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you? If not there already?

In the hunt for voter fraud, Republican door knockers are intimidating residents: officials | Reuters

Nov 3 (Reuters) - The canvassers in California's Shasta County in September wore reflective orange vests and official-looking badges that read “Voter Taskforce.” Four residents said they mistook them for government officials.

But the door knockers didn't explain where to vote or promote a candidate, the usual work of canvassers ahead of a big election.

Instead, they grilled residents on their voting history and who lived in their homes, probing questions that might have violated state laws on intimidation and harassment, according to the county's chief election official.

Register now

At one house, they interrogated a couple about the whereabouts of their adult daughter. At another, they listed names of registered voters and demanded to know if they still lived at the address.

The incidents highlight how a once-routine staple of American elections -- door-to-door canvassing -- has been adopted by former U.S. President Donald Trump's supporters since the 2020 election to prove his baseless claims of voter fraud, or potentially disenfranchise voters by stoking doubts about voter registration books.

In at least one state, Michigan, they plan to use their list of alleged irregularities to challenge voters in the Nov. 8 election.

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

However, today our local NPR station's broadcasting remote from a local community college, researching what this age group of diverse students is thinking about the midterms.  They generally aren't thinking of the midterms at all and none of them plan to vote.  The closest to political thinking I heard was, "all politicians are evil so why vote for any of them?"

National Republican Radio finding doom and gloom for this election?  How many did they talk to who had voted or were planning to vote. You know, the ones they edited out?

(but I’m not cynical, oh no, not me)

Governor Kemp’s Family Brought Slavery to Georgia
And He’s Signed a Law that Makes Sure You Don’t Know It
by Greg Palast for Gwinnett Black Magazine November 3, 2022

https://www.gregpalast.com/governor-kemps-family-brought-slavery-to-georgia/

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp does not want you to know that it was his family that first brought enslaved Africans to Georgia.

The original settlers in Georgia had outlawed slavery until James Habersham — Kemp’s ancestor — won a bloody battle to bring humans in chains to his plantations.

Habersham’s reward for bringing the slave system to Georgia? He was appointed acting Governor under King George II. So Kemp can claim a governing dynasty going back nearly three centuries. His mother was quite proud of it (her records and photo albums are priceless resources), but the current Governor demurs.

Let’s be clear: Brian Kemp did not bring enslaved humans to Georgia. Nor is he responsible for the horrors perpetrated by his long-dead ancestors.

But Kemp, who fanatically avoids association with his dark origins, has gone so far as to ensconce historical amnesia into law. This April, Kemp signed HB1178, the so-called “Parents Bill of Rights” and a companion bill that makes it darn difficult for any schoolteacher in the Peach State to teach uncensored history and keep their job.

As Kemp noted in his signing ceremony, the law “will ban the teaching of divisive concepts” and, as a gleeful local newscaster said, “would make it easier to ban books.”

My question for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation: Is it divisive, under the law, to state the fact that the Kemp Dynasty’s power and privileges are sourced in human trafficking?

FAKE WINDOWS, FAKE HISTORY

I spoke with Gov. Kemp’s cousin, Janie Banse, who believes it’s time for her family to ‘fess up to history, the uncensored history of Georgia, Jim Crow and the advantages enjoyed by those accustomed to rule, advantages that remain today.

Former US Congressman Bob Barrow told this reporter that, throughout Kemp’s life, the Governor been cosseted by political connections. Wealth arrived for Kemp on a silver spoon. While he plays himself as a self-made “small businessman,” in fact, young Brian waltzed into a multi-million dollar family construction business that cashed in on government contracts. ....

There is quite a bit more.  It's fascinating.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:28 PM, Tywin et al. said:

God Forbid is quite the wild doc. Always fun to see some toxic, lying Bible thumpers get exposed for the frauds they are. 

Just finished watching this.  While the relationship of the Falwell's with Giancarlo Granda was crazy and abusive, their relationship with Trump made me wanna puke!   :ack:   Also, the exposure of the sex abuse happening on campus of Liberty U, really no surprise, and I doubt it's changed much.

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Just finished watching this.  While the relationship of the Falwell's with Giancarlo Granda was crazy and abusive, their relationship with Trump made me wanna puke!   :ack:   Also, the exposure of the sex abuse happening on campus of Liberty U, really no surprise, and I doubt it's changed much.

My biggest takeaway just reinforces a central complaint I've made about politics and the world in general: the hypocrisy is staggering. To run a giant university with such strict rules on drinking, partying and sex only to lead a complete double life (and how Falwell was apparently drunk on the job all the time) offends me to the core.

It's amazing they got away with this for so long considering how much of a sloppy mess the two of them were. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My biggest takeaway just reinforces a central complaint I've made about politics and the world in general: the hypocrisy is staggering. To run a giant university with such strict rules on drinking, partying and sex only to lead a complete double life (and how Falwell was apparently drunk on the job all the time) offends me to the core.

It's amazing they got away with this for so long considering how much of a sloppy mess the two of them were. 

Remember towards the end when Gian took his parents to party put on by the Falwells and his mother was disgusted with the phoniness and arrogance of those of those rich grifting preachers?  She, like you found them nauseating.   As far as getting away with it, the whole damn college was either looking the other way, protecting their territory, or just in denial.  I doubt much as changed.   

38 minutes ago, LongRider said:

and his mother was disgusted with the phoniness and arrogance of those of those rich grifting preachers?

I found it hilarious how Falwell got shaken down by the most lazy of Miami lowlife real-estate hustlers.

Or as Billy would be happy to tell you: #BecauseMiami

(ETA, nvm Ran, something was being glitchy)

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I found it hilarious how Falwell got shaken down by the most lazy of Miami lowlife real-estate hustlers.

Or as Billy would be happy to tell you: #BecauseMiami

(ETA, nvm Ran, something was being glitchy)

Need to watch the documentary. Billy Corben is like the Carl Hiassen of documentarians.

Did @Fire and Jace write this?

the Superstar Losers:

But never before has such small-scale loserdom so often been sufficient to achieve such large-scale stardom. Apart from Abrams and O’Rourke, there have also been other examples in recent years. Jaime Harrison made an unsuccessful bid for the DNC chairmanship, then an unsuccessful bid to unseat Lindsey Graham in South Carolina, and then a second bid, this time successful, for the DNC chairmanship. MJ Hegar, a Texas Democrat, lost a close House race in 2018, then a not-so-close Texas Senate race in 2020. Amy McGrath likewise used a close loss for a House seat, hers in Kentucky, to launch a Senate campaign against Mitch McConnell that ended in a 20-point loss. This, it seems, is the golden age of the superstar loser.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/11/beto-orourke-stacey-abrams-superstar-loser/671959/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

9 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

How do you call a politician that came within 1% of winning their race? A loser.

Archived