U.S. Politics - Oh no! Here we Don McGahn. Recuse or pack.

Lykos

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They should get paid the going rate, but a large % should go to the victim(s) of the crime(s) and the rest to any dependent family of the prisoner.

What happens in the case of a conviction being overturned?

Even if you want to see U.S. prisoners severely punished (which I don't agree with) U.S. prisons are already horrible. If that's the mission, then mission is accomplished. 

There's a growing trend, often in conservatives states of charging and over-charging for all sorts of needed things like toothpaste and phone-calls. Charging them rent for their cell is another growing trend. All This combines with ultra-low wages to make prisoner's lives truly miserable.

And while the victims of crimes are often used as the reason to punish prisoners ever-more harshly, the American conservatives pushing for all this have ulterior motives. Both racism and an ideology of punishing any mistakes to the maximum. (This extends outside the prisons, so if someone can't pay the rent, well fuck that person, throw them into the streets. And then criminalize being in the streets and get that person into the prisons)

Purely anecdotal.  Some Austin friends and I gathered in our separate spaces -- me, for instance, in a tiny local park as the day is utterly gorgeous -- and held a group convo.  One had done her early voting the first day it was open, another, the second day it was open -- the rest in the last day or two.  These latter voters said the lines to vote were long, while the first two voted with no one else present voting.  :dunno:

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Jebus.

Is that how it is done in New Zealand?

$0.2-0.6 an hour. It's voluntary.

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

What happens in the case of a conviction being overturned?

Compensation paid by the govt, which is already the norm.

Take note:

Democrats/Liberals should never lose the argument about freedom. Likewise we should never lose the arguments about economics, healthcare, education, foreign policy, etc., name the fucking subject. The reflexive need to be tepid and weak...not anymore. Be bold and confident in your positions. Don't be afraid of your shadow, be the conqueror of false boogeymen that are dishonest about your beliefs. Speak with pride and force. Be daring and ambitious. If you love the principles you stand on and demonstrate them with your actions, people will see you and have confidence in you as a leader. This guy gets it. 

In addition to all the Trump and NRSC fundraising emails I get, I get lots from Democrats.

The last week most of these have turned really depressing, with new frantic appeals from unexpected quarters -- just got my first one from Michael Bennet in Colorado saying he is now only 1.5% above his opponent in the latest polls. The barrage of fear in all of these is giving me stomach aches and makes me just want to tune out.

You know who the exception to this is? Tim Ryan in Ohio. The emails I get from him are optimistic, positive, and upbeat without claiming he's sure to win. His faith in his ability to possibly win a seemingly impossible race is so refreshing. Even if he loses, I sure hope he stays active in politics. The Democrats need more people who can project confidence and faith in their own positions and ability to do the job if elected in the way his emails do. He really is the guy out there who gives me some hope for the future instead of just dread of MAGA. 

Seems the intimidation of poll workers is ramping up.

Hopefully, Ser Scott misses out on this brand of excitement. I can almost see these thugs screening would be voters at the door, turning the democratic ones away at gunpoint.  And when the cops are called, the verdict is these guys have full authority...

Far-fetched? A large minority of the comments are in favor of these thug's actions.

'Kill them': Arizona election workers face midterm threats (msn.com)

(Reuters) - Election workers in Arizona’s most fiercely contested county faced more than 100 violent threats and intimidating communications in the run-up to Tuesday’s midterms, most of them based on election conspiracy theories promoted by former President Donald Trump and his allies.

The harassment in Maricopa County included menacing emails and social media posts, threats to circulate personal information online and photographing employees arriving at work, according to nearly 1,600 pages of documents obtained by Reuters through a public records request for security records and correspondence related to threats and harassments against election workers.

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

You know who the exception to this is? Tim Ryan in Ohio. The emails I get from him are optimistic, positive, and upbeat without claiming he's sure to win. His faith in his ability to possibly win a seemingly impossible race is so refreshing. Even if he loses, I sure hope he stays active in politics. The Democrats need more people who can project confidence and faith in their own positions and ability to do the job if elected in the way his emails do. He really is the guy out there who gives me some hope for the future instead of just dread of MAGA. 

In terms of messaging Val Demings also deserves credit for staying positive in her solicitations.  She has less of a chance than Ryan - largely due to the difference in candidate quality among their respective opponents - but still.  What's weird, though, is I haven't seen any television ads for either her or Rubio here in Florida.  Granted, these days I barely watch traditional television other than Magic games, but I asked my sister's in-laws yesterday (who do) and they agreed.  It's just all DeSantis all the time - with a bit of Crist ads sprinkled in.

Anyway, it's interesting you level this complaint when I've heard essentially the opposite - that the Dems are not sounding the alarm on the threat to democracy in a concerted and consistent effort.  I don't really agree with that either, but it's another example of everybody thinking if only the Dems could run better campaigns they could turn water into wine.

Team Rubio was flooding my email with pleas for cash right up until late last week. I still find myself wondering if there is a realistic chance he could lose the election, as he was sounding downright desperate for a while. Surprise upset, maybe?

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Anyway, it's interesting you level this complaint when I've heard essentially the opposite - that the Dems are not sounding the alarm on the threat to democracy in a concerted and consistent effort.  I don't really agree with that either, but it's another example of everybody thinking if only the Dems could run better campaigns they could turn water into wine.

Oh, I hope I didn't imply that. I am thinking of what I feel would go toward long-term building up of the party and its chances. I don't believe there is any way of campaigning that would insure victory in every election. I think it's unlikely Ryan wins and if he does it certainly will be as much or more because of his opponent than because of his campaign style. I just really am tired of reading the emails that give me stomach aches. 

On 11/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, LongRider said:

Well Ali, I wouldn’t expect any less from you.    
:angry2:

@cock_merchant

So… do you see the incredible honesty and disingenuous nature of this man’s position?  He’s saying he supports Representative Democracy as long as he always wins… otherwise it’s a scam.  

Will you defend this statement?

Archived