U.S. Politics - Oh no! Here we Don McGahn. Recuse or pack.

Lykos

Got back from the polls an hour ago. Actually had to wait in line for five minutes, which is a first - usually just walk right up, show the ID and get the ballot. 

Owing to a dearth of candidates and a bit of pragmatism, I did rank a couple R's in the top spots - Murkowski and a state senator. 

Trump Keeps Musing About Journalists Being Raped in Prison — He’s Not Joking
A knowledgeable source tells Rolling Stone that the former president has wondered how he might be able to jail reporters if he retakes the White House

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-imagines-journalists-raped-prison-1234626493/

The orange nazi

in his pre-midterm rally blitz in disgusting fashion, calling House Speaker Nancy Pelosi “an animal,” championing the death penalty, and giddily imagining the prison rape of the journalist who reported on the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

“The leaking from the Supreme Court is unbelievable,” the former president said Monday night at a rally in Ohio. “But you get the information very easily. You tell the reporter who is it … and if the reporter doesn’t want to tell you it’s ‘bye bye.’ The reporter goes to jail. When the reporter learns he’s going to be married to a certain prisoner who’s extremely strong, tough, and mean, he will say, ‘you know, I think I’m going to give you the information.’” . . .

It isn’t just a laugh line.

This year, as Trump has privately strategized about what a second term, potentially starting in 2025, could look like, he’s begun occasionally soliciting ideas from conservative allies for how the U.S. government and Justice Department could go about turning his desires — for brutally imprisoning significant numbers of reporters — into reality.

Several months ago, the former president briefly asked a small gathering of his allies and at least one of his attorneys about what would have to be done to make that authoritarian, First Amendment-shredding vision a norm, according to a source who was present.

“He said other countries do it — the implication being: Well, why not here?” the source recounts.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Sounds from incomplete data like turnout is strong in Philly and awful in Miami. I'd say "choose your own adventure", but it's entirely possible, even likely, that both these trends are true. Hopefully more cities elsewhere are more like Philly. But we'll see.

I see Wasserman was emphasizing the bad Miami turnout (for Dems) this afternoon, and I really don't get why.  Even without the weather, I wouldn't extrapolate that much at all.  Fact is Florida Dems don't have much to turn out for statewide, so its correlations to other competitive contests is likely to be minimal at best.  

Been seeing a flood of articles on election misinformation today, too many to link to as they come and go to fast. Still -

ABC published a relatively mild article describing the 'Red Mirage' and how that could affect voting in several states. The piece was picked up and selectively quoted by a far-right outlet, effectively becoming a conspiracy theory within minutes - 'ABC reveals how the democrats will steal the election.' The comments section of the article I read was full of Trump fan comments insisting this was 'proof of the steal.' Even repeated explanations had no effect.

In Wisconsen, a thirty-eight-year-old-man walked into a polling place, brandished a knife, and demanded the voting be stopped. Poll workers called the cops, who hauled him off. No mention of political affiliation.

In my state, there is a downright idiotic text campaign oriented at misleading D voters in a specific district. Idiotic because those responsible could not spell and flubbed basic grammar. 

And lots of vague internet mentions about mostly far-right sorts advocating out and out violence at polling places - of the literal 'walk in and start shooting' variety. Hopefully we miss out on all that. 

Some concerning election news:

Armed Conservative Monitoring Polling Site Disappointed How Few People Vote In Midterms

https://www.theonion.com/armed-conservative-monitoring-polling-site-disappointed-1849740042

Obama Claims He’s Still President After Seeing How Susceptible Voters Are To Conspiracy Theories

https://www.theonion.com/obama-claims-he-s-still-president-after-seeing-how-susc-1849753200

I thought this was going to be the first election I didn't vote in since turning 18, and the rain after work almost seemed to lock that. But my roommate said he was in and out of the parking lot in 10 or so minutes and swung back around to get me and help me stand in line. Teamwork! 

Since results are going to start coming in soon I'll make my predications. I expected a bloodbath six months ago. Dobbs, for a time, made me think keeping the Senate and possibly even making a gain or two was in play, but that's all gone and we're back to likely having an awful night. When all is said and done I think there's 53 R's in the Senate and around 230 in the House. I haven't tracked the gubernatorial  and state legislative races much, but I'm really worried that's where the worst of the damage will be. 538 has Walz up around 9%, but I think it will be a lot closer than that despite the Republican being a shitty candidate who ran a subpar campaign. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Since results are going to start coming in soon I'll make my predications.

Is "Ty's Predications" gonna become a new offshoot thread where you make random declarations in response to Scot's thread topics of random questions?

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Is "Ty's Predications" gonna become a new offshoot thread where you make random declarations in response to Scot's thread topics of random questions?

We can Inception this shit, but we need to find deeper levels. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Fact is Florida Dems don't have much to turn out for statewide, so its correlations to other competitive contests is likely to be minimal at best.  

That's silly. They have a governors race and senate race to vote in. If that doesn't motivate people, very little will.

Just now, Fez said:

That's silly. They have a governors race and senate race to vote in. If that doesn't motivate people, very little will.

It's really not.  I don't think you realize how deflated enthusiasm is down here top-down within the Dem party.  And that's obviously going to have an effect on turnout efforts.  Also, been following the 538 blog, and Nathaniel Rakich stole my take, like, twenty minutes after I posted it:

NATHANIEL RAKICH

NOV. 8, 6:36 PM

Jacob, the Florida numbers don’t surprise me — there’s not much in the way of a competitive top-of-the-ticket race to drive Democratic turnout. I’m not sure how much it tells us about the national picture.

Just now, DMC said:

It's really not.  I don't think you realize how deflated enthusiasm is down here top-down within the Dem party.  And that's obviously going to have an effect on turnout efforts.  Also, been following the 538 blog, and Nathaniel Rakich stole my take, like, twenty minutes after I posted it:

I agree that enthusiasm is bad in Florida, that's precisely the problem. Not that they don't have anything to turn out for. They have very important races to turn out for; they just aren't.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

They have very important races to turn out for; they just aren't.

Except Florida Dems don't view them as important/competitive races.  That's why it's very unlikely to be generalizable to other states with competitive races.

17 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Florida has already counted 2M votes and Demings/Rubio are tied (meaning not good news for D's as early voting skews Democrat).

Well, not to suggest I think the Dems have a chance in Florida, but no, early voting doesn't really skew Dem statewide.  In 2020, the split was 39/38 Dem.  In 2018, it was 40.5 to 40.1 Dem.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, not to suggest I think the Dems have a chance in Florida, but no, early voting doesn't really skew Dem statewide.  In 2020, the split was 39/38 Dem.  In 2018, it was 40.5 to 40.1 Dem.

Sorry, I was too lazy to type in early in-person voting AND mail, which makes it a bit worse for Dems (by now the numbers have been updated and Rubio appears to have a pretty comfortable lead, 3.1M to 2.5M)

Edit: On the positive side, Warnock has been hitting his Fulton county numbers from the last runoff, so at least he isnt 'in trouble'

Archived