U.S. Politics - Oh no! Here we Don McGahn. Recuse or pack.

Lykos

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Hes not preventing anyone from tweeting.

They have to pay if they want to be verified, which for a lot of users is kind of important.  I guess some of those people will just start using unverified accounts, and accepting that people are creating other unverified accounts and posing/tweeting as them, but I imagine many people won't like that. 

And I stand by my stance that the "blue checks" as a group are absolutely essential to twitter.  If all of those users left, twitter would die almost immediately.  Contrast this case with youtube, where the people who generate content that gets tons of views get paid to keep doing it.  Twitter is instead trying to charge the people who create the content that make twitter worth visiting.  If anyone should be paying for Twitter, it would be the people who passively consume it without tweeting at all, they're the "free riders" in this situation. 

59 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

This, however, is pretty stupid. Twitter needs the content authors a lot more than they need Twitter, and any alienation of them makes this very shortsighted. 

Stephen King agrees.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Contrast this case with youtube, where the people who generate content that gets tons of views get paid to keep doing it.

Maithanet -- I’m confident Elon will seek to find a way to reward content creators.

1 minute ago, Wade1865 said:

Maithanet -- I’m confident Elon will seek to find a way to reward content creators.

If Elon Musk were as great as you imagine him to be, the world would be a better place. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If Elon Musk were as great as you imagine him to be, the world would be a better place. 

Maithanet -- that’s way outside the scope of my point, which confirms that Elon will seek to reward creators, like YouTube and other platforms.

On Elon’s value to the world, I haven’t said much. He only popped up on my radar within the last couple years or so, when young people would constantly talk well about him and his achievements.

I’m just starting to realize his value.

And I like what I see :wub:

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

YouTube is also a hell scape where all the wrong incentives are in place.

One must learn to use YouTube and not let YouTube learn how to use you. Human stupidity was around long before YouTube made it freely accessible. Browse YouTube the way you would browse a library. If you want to learn about math or science, go to those sections. Photography is your thing? Lots of really cool channels. Don't click on whatever the algorithm sends you. The algorithm is a really stupid AI. Do your own thinking.

There is Twitter. Then there is the 'ultra-hot MAGA chick' who turned out to be a Chinese spy. The interesting bit to me is the absolute denial of a Trump/China connection among MAGA posters in the comments sections. Quite a few of them are making comments to the effect this is 'literally impossible' because the 'Right' would never align themselves with communists. When confronted with past Trump acts that contradict this, the immediate claim is 'fake news.'

Ultra-MAGA 'Hot Babe' who claimed Obama is a Illuminati lizard turns out to be a Chinese spy (msn.com)

36 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

There is Twitter. Then there is the 'ultra-hot MAGA chick' who turned out to be a Chinese spy. The interesting bit to me is the absolute denial of a Trump/China connection among MAGA posters in the comments sections. Quite a few of them are making comments to the effect this is 'literally impossible' because the 'Right' would never align themselves with communists. When confronted with past Trump acts that contradict this, the immediate claim is 'fake news.'

Ultra-MAGA 'Hot Babe' who claimed Obama is a Illuminati lizard turns out to be a Chinese spy (msn.com)

Duh. Think back to Tricky Dicky Nixon.

40 minutes ago, maarsen said:

One must learn to use YouTube and not let YouTube learn how to use you. Human stupidity was around long before YouTube made it freely accessible. Browse YouTube the way you would browse a library. If you want to learn about math or science, go to those sections. Photography is your thing? Lots of really cool channels. Don't click on whatever the algorithm sends you. The algorithm is a really stupid AI. Do your own thinking.

True , but the algorithm also influences the type of content that gets made. As I said, all the wrong incentives are in there 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hehe. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

That said, the YOLO court has to prepare for killing affirmative action.

13 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Duh. Think back to Tricky Dicky Nixon.

I mean, Nixon opening up China is easily his greatest accomplishment.  Don't think it's at all comparable to being taken by Chinese spies.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

True , but the algorithm also influences the type of content that gets made. As I said, all the wrong incentives are in there 

My impression is they are trying to offer the same incentives: create strong feelings because those keep you engaged for longer than any intellectual interests. For example, I watch history docs, and the algorithm is trying to sell me pseudo-history docs about aliens and such. It's also trying to peddle right-wing propaganda to me. Needless to say I don't watch it. I don't think that's stupidity as much as trying to get an emotional reaction. They want you to watch it and then get angry and post etc.

That said, I agree that much useful stuff can be found on YT. I just try to avoid the comment section as much as possible. Idiots will find their way to the most innocuous content.

16 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

My impression is they are trying to offer the same incentives: create strong feelings because those keep you engaged for longer than any intellectual interests. For example, I watch history docs, and the algorithm is trying to sell me pseudo-history docs about aliens and such. It's also trying to peddle right-wing propaganda to me. Needless to say I don't watch it. I don't think that's stupidity as much as trying to get an emotional reaction. They want you to watch it and then get angry and post etc.

That said, I agree that much useful stuff can be found on YT. I just try to avoid the comment section as much as possible. Idiots will find their way to the most innocuous content.

Yes, it's the louder, most outrageous and shareable content that gets amplified. That's partly because channels live and die based on their subscriber base, and how many likes they get. That encourages audience capture and pandering to certain niches, and you see that with a lot of content creators where they start out reasonably sensible but descend into vitriolic partisan madness, because it gets the most clicks. Add in that it pays to just keep pumping out content over and over again, never stopping to spend more time making something good and you have a recipe for disaster.

Twitter and other social media have similar problems. The currency is views and interactions and to get those you need to scream louder than anyone else. The whole advertiser model and the incentive involved in making content are totally backwards, and do not encourage people to make well considered reasoned content.

Twitter also drives people mad, because it means anyone anywhere can say the stupidest shit and suddenly that becomes relevant or newsworthy, or makes others respond to it. You would never have given a shit what some idiot down the pub thought on any topic 20 years ago, yet now their dumbass opinions make the news, and give ammo to other arguments. 

If Musk can find a way to break the incentive structures and stop elevating 'stupid shit some guy down the pub says' then I'm all for it.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

You are directly framing his take over as an action which will automatically increase racism and ‘transphobia’, which you simply do not know ( looking at events hours after he took over tells you literally nothing)

Nice patathenisis around transphobia to virtue signal of not thinking it’s a real thing.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

as actually we don’t know what he is planning on doing.

A more laize a fair attitude towards far right conspiracy and bigotry.

Examples: conservatives like Dave Rubin feeling comfortable deadnaming and misgendering elliot page and not getting suspended and letting a convicted pedophile back on to claim Ukraine did the Bucha massacre.

Archived