Shit so small it's Irrelevant

LongRider

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Anyone else getting annoyed by this Discover ad on here that takes over the screen and whatnot?  Makes me feel like I'm on a Fansided blog or something.

Is that on a mobile device?  Haven't seen it.  Running Brave with some adblocks for my lap top browser.

15 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

IDK, maybe try a few different browsers and see what works best right now.  Always a bit of an arms race.

Really was just venting, don't care that much.  But I'm happy I got advice from both you and @Raja.  It's like receiving support from both Bernie and Trump.

I just really really hate ads. My closest friends are all Canadian and we had a long whatsapp back and forth about places to visit Canada, a day later all my spotify ads were about 'visit canada' and I hated my life.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

I just really really hate ads. My closest friends are all Canadian and we had a long whatsapp back and forth about places to visit Canada, a day later all my spotify ads were about 'visit canada' and I hated my life.

Yeah I get that.  Other than this site though I'm not really "online" enough to care.

Bernie and Trump are closer on a lot of things than most of Congress. Different on a lot to be sure. 

At least on the insider/outsider axis.  Whether it's McConnell or Pelosi wetting their beak, it's not good for the regular folk.

28 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Bernie and Trump are closer on a lot of things than most of Congress.

No, they're not.  The populist anti-establishment thing is a red herring you're buying into because you don't understand American politics.  Granted, you're not the only one by any means, but it's pretty funny you're so naive.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

No, they're not.  The populist anti-establishment thing is a red herring you're buying into because you don't understand American politics.  Granted, you're not the only one by any means, but it's pretty funny you're so naive.

For years here I made the point that Bush 43 and Clinton were basically the same guy with wedge issues flipped.  Bernie and Trump aren't as close as that to each other, but establishment v anti-establishment is just about the biggest cleaving point there is right now.  If you only consider the mainstream establishment in your analysis of American politics then yes that's a red herring, I guess.  Unless you mean something else.

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

For years here I made the point that Bush 43 and Clinton were basically the same guy with wedge issues flipped.

And for years here you've been so very, hilariously wrong.  About that and essentially everything else related to politics.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

And for years here you've been so very, hilariously wrong.  About that and essentially everything else related to politics.

Sounds like you've gotten a smile or two at least.  

I don't think I've been fully disillusioned yet, but I think that once reality smacks us both equally, you'll be a lot more surprised.  If NYT and WaPo are confirming your biases, you're hearing only what you're supposed to.  

I thought pot was supposed to make people paranoid, but maybe that's just another government sponsored myth.

21 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

If NYT and WaPo are confirming your biases, you're hearing only what you're supposed to.  

LOL, this is your dumbass assumption about the "establishment."  You think I give a shit what NYT and WaPo report?  You mentioned Clinton and Dubya being basically the same, and that was idiotic.  Ya know why?  Because Dubya's two major accomplishments were the Bush tax cuts and the Iraq War.  Neither of which would have happened if he didn't cheat his way into the presidency in 2000.

Psh, acting like you're "anti-establishment" by hating on Dubya.  Go cosplay with the other pathetic wannabe fucks son.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:46 AM, Raja said:

You can have two friends!

Or none. 

Fucking BJ is running away from his seat because he may lose. He might be my MP at next election. Must not get sacked for throwing shitty nappies at his wobble head when he visits the area.

On 1/29/2023 at 4:57 AM, Raja said:

Had a real-life in-person conversation with my girlfriend the other day about telescopes. No googling, no searching amazon, pure face-to-face physical conversation. That same evening she starts getting repeated adverts for telescopes. I don't have an alexa or any other type of home assistant thing. I swear phones are listening in on conversations. It was creepy.

I agree with you on hating ads. In fact, I actively resent being advertised to, and I absolutely go out of my way to cut all ads out of my life as much as I can. I use adblock on PC browsers (except on a tiny handful of select sites), brave browser and youtubed vanced on phone, haven't watched live TV in years, haven't been to a cinema in ages but when I do make sure I turn up for when the actual movies starts, don't buy newspapers or magazines. Haven't found a way to deal with billboards yet. Best I can do is specifically avoid buying things I see being advertised.

50 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I swear phones are listening in on conversations. It was creepy.

Yeah, I have no idea how the whatsapp thing works but being inundated with visit canada ads on spotify was quite odd.

My aversion to them isn't as strong as yours, but where it really bothers me is when I'm listening to podcasts or spotify, I can just about handle them eveywhere else, that being said I do use adblock.

I love going to the cinema to be fair, but it isn't too bad here when it comes to ads, usually i have my headphones in until the movie starts unless I'm with people.

57 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

That same evening she starts getting repeated adverts for telescopes. I don't have an alexa or any other type of home assistant thing. I swear phones are listening in on conversations. It was creepy.

The companies who'd be in position to do it claim no, but they're never gonna convince me that's true. Too many times that sort of thing's happened to me. Getting ads for wrist supports after discussing them with a colleague, and whatnot. 

Archived