Shit so small it's Irrelevant

LongRider

I suspect advertisers have gone beyond active listening and can now anticipate needs and wants based on history. Next, I wouldn’t be surprised that in the near future they’ll be able to realize data capture based on where your eyeballs focus and feet carry you. Finally, tech will ‘feel’ internal thoughts via tech willingly internalized by consumers.

Or maybe I’m paranoid about corporate greed and capability :closedeyes:

If anyone gets a pop up or pop under on the forum, please try to screenshot it and/or get a copy of the url it is trying to send you to and send it to me. Had a report about that ad last week, and thought I had dealt with it but I guess not.

There should never be popups on the forum, fwiw.

1 hour ago, Wade1865 said:

I suspect advertisers have gone beyond active listening and can now anticipate needs and wants based on history. Next, I wouldn’t be surprised that in the near future they’ll be able to realize data capture based on where your eyeballs focus and feet carry you. Finally, tech will ‘feel’ internal thoughts via tech willingly internalized by consumers.

Or maybe I’m paranoid about corporate greed and capability /cdn-cgi/mirage/7d04d87e52cfaa21d82864ee65a98f5d8f31bce8d6129f7521b77545a94bd43c/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_closedeyes.gif

Just watched a video two hours ago on my phone about how to fix the handle on a toilet. The plumbing ads just keep on rolling now.

Why do hospitals make you get up at such ungodly hours? So I can be awake to be anxious and hungry longer till the surgeon’s done taking his kids to school and clocks in? Bleh. Well, moral of the story, don’t get malignant tumors in your boobs, or anywhere else for that matter. Also, you know, go to your screenings  and all and chill the f out because 99.5% of the time whatever you’re worked up about isn’t worth it. Anyway, I should be back to bore you with my shit tonight when the anesthesia fog clears up. Love. 

9 hours ago, Ran said:

[Mad Men Carousel clip]

"Good luck at your next meeting."  I know we've talked about this scene before, but the way Harry jets out at the end is such a nice touch.  It's probably the only real humanizing moment for the character that I can recall, because he's generally just a dick.  They kind of go overboard with that in later seasons.

23 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Why do hospitals make you get up at such ungodly hours? So I can be awake to be anxious and hungry longer till the surgeon’s done taking his kids to school and clocks in? Bleh. Well, moral of the story, don’t get malignant tumors in your boobs, or anywhere else for that matter. Also, you know, go to your screenings  and all and chill the f out because 99.5% of the time whatever you’re worked up about isn’t worth it. Anyway, I should be back to bore you with my shit tonight when the anesthesia fog clears up. Love. 

Fuck cancer. See you on the wakeup :grouphug:

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I hope it all goes well. 

17 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I hope it all goes well. 

It didn’t go in any fucking way. I cried, I raged, I slept, and I have no emotions left. I’m going back in two weeks. But I got the name of the person who fucked up out of the nurses. I’m not the heads will roll type, but I just like to know. Well, after this all it ought to go well when it finally does go. 

23 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

You know what scares the shit out of me?  The idea of a dog with thumbs.  Fangs, claws, all that makes sense at least.  But thumbs?!?

I’m reading a great series in a world setting like Earth but populated by humans and The Others, who are creatures that control most of the planet and view humans as prey, even while trying to tolerate their existence. There are a number of kinds of Others, with different powers, and the lowest level are the shifters. The usual cast of characters, wolves, bears, big cats, all kinds of birds. A wolf (not werewolves, Others who chose the wolf shape and learned to take human shape when it came in handy) can walk up to the door and just shift a paw into a hand to open the door. The crows, being tossed a slice of pizza, turning the ends of their wings into fingers so they can rip the slice into smaller pieces. Now those are disturbing scenes!

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m reading a great series in a world setting like Earth but populated by humans and The Others, who are creatures that control most of the planet and view humans as prey, even while trying to tolerate their existence. There are a number of kinds of Others, with different powers, and the lowest level are the shifters. The usual cast of characters, wolves, bears, big cats, all kinds of birds. A wolf (not werewolves, Others who chose the wolf shape and learned to take human shape when it came in handy) can walk up to the door and just shift a paw into a hand to open the door. The crows, being tossed a slice of pizza, turning the ends of their wings into fingers so they can rip the slice into smaller pieces. Now those are disturbing scenes!

Sounds wild!  Doesn't freak me out as much knowing it's part of the entire world, also maybe I'm viewing this with fuzzy feeling because the crows in my yard looooovvve pizza and pizza crusts.  I've been having friends over once a month out in the yard last couple years for pizza and a fire and I swear the crows know they're in for some good scraps.

I just had one of those Google News stories pop up about a Finding Your Roots episode, the PBS series where Henry Gates leads some famous person through a genealogy search helped by DNA testing. Turns out the fantastic stories from actor Edward Norton’s family are actually true - Norton is the great-grandson 12 times back of American historical figure Pocahontas and her husband John Rolfe. Cool!

He also discovered he had an ancestor who owned 8 slaves, not so cool.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

QR menus are a terrible invention and I hate them. Restaurants need to stop.

The worst of these I have encountered was in Stansted airport when the restaurant Wi-Fi didn't work and there was no mobile signal making it impossible to order anything. 

4 hours ago, Raja said:

QR menus are a terrible invention and I hate them. Restaurants need to stop.

Made since during covid but yeah I hated them even then.  Part of the reason people actually go to restaurants/bars these days is the personal service.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, Fragile Bird said:

He also discovered he had an ancestor who owned 8 slaves, not so cool.

With those ancestry slave owner thing, I am kinda curious what happened to those eight slaves (and descendants). I think that would be an interesting follow up program. I get it, that you can kinda lose track (with children and grandchildren and so on and so forth), when your ancestors ran a giant slave run plantation, but eight seems like a manageable task . 

Archived